Spinning key in lock

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
mrscalex

Z3 roadster 1.9

Spinning key in lock

Post by mrscalex »

I gather this is a common fault, I've read a few things on the internet but none give a definitive answer. When the key is inserted in the door lock it can spin round up to 720 deg before it engages.

Can I make this problem go away by changing the door handle/lock mechanism. Or is it a fault in the key barrel itself - ie the part that is unique to the key? In other words do I need a whole new lock set!
ImageImage
2001 Z3 2.2 Topaz Blue (Trudy) - Keeper rebuilt from a write-off
2002 Z3 2.2 Titan Silver (Cookies) - Keeper rebuilt having been bought with a seized engine
2002 Z3 3.0 Sapphire Black (Peanut) - Keeper awaiting rebuilding having been bought as an abandoned project
Plus Willy, Kodak & Maycee - All 2.2 Sport projects. Yes, 6 is a lot of Z3s :)
Always happy to try and help with spares :)
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Re: Spinning key in lock

Post by Southernboy »

If you remove the lock mechanism, and inspect the lock first - ie the mechanism which is moved by the lock barrel.. if all seems good, then go to the barrel for the cure. It's not a very complicated thing to sort once you get it out and look at how it is meant to operate.
read this article which will help to understand the cause...
ww.bimmerforums.com/forum/showthread.php?749241-Changing-door-locks-spinning-lock-cylinder
"Normal is overrated"

Z3 Upgrades and Additions
mrscalex

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by mrscalex »

I've seen that article but it's a point in case in that it's not clear. On the one hand it looks like a straight forward mechanism swap and retain existing key barrel - which is easy enough and I've done before. On the other hand the guy is talking about spending big money on new keys isn't he?
ImageImage
2002 Z3 2.2 Titan Silver (Cookies) - Keeper rebuilt having been bought with a seized engine
2002 Z3 3.0 Sapphire Black (Peanut) - Keeper awaiting rebuilding having been bought as an abandoned project
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

I think the "key" issue is to check out the "T" piece which is faulty - I'm fairly sure you could simply replace that component from another part - Perhaps ask Andy / Spurs fan. I would say the fella in that post isn't too clued up on his mechanicals, so someone like yourself, would be able to do the repair without too much sweat.
"Normal is overrated"

mrscalex

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by mrscalex »

I'll have the lock mechanism out and have a look. I have a spare and it's easy enough to remove having learnt a few lessons about the way it came out the first time!

I can't really see how it could be the key barrel itself as the job of that must be to 'let the key in' via the pin/tumbler system and it either does that or it doesn't. So the lock mechanism seems the more likely to be at fault.

I'd been ignoring this issue on the 2.2 project but when I took my head out the sand I realised it could be a potential killer if I had to replace the key barrel there and on the boot & ignition, then the related electronics etc.
ImageImage
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

Once you have it out, I'm sure you'll sort it without too much difficulty and have a chuckle once you've sorted it.. :wink:
"Normal is overrated"