new tyres and rear window

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
John Wilson

Z3 roadster 2.0

new tyres and rear window

Post by John Wilson »

I'vw had the Z3 for 7 years now and it's the first time I've replaced the front tyres. Ive always thought that tramlining was something I just had to put up with in return for having 18 inch wheels on the car, the ideal size for the looks of the car (that's the most important thing, of course). I got some Avon ZV5's, and the difference is remarkable in that I can't feel any tramlining at all now. I know that whenever you do anything to a car you always convince yourslef that it's running better, but this is such a dramatic improvement that I cant be just imagining it.
Ive also just fitted a new window to the back of the soft top. Its the german ones from the Art design Munster site (I think they are actually made in America). It's a zip in one and looks good with a nice rubber edge around it, but it's a pain getting the zip started in it. When you do up a zip on your coat, you have that metal bar bit that guides the zip onto the teeth. With the window zip you just have a bit of fabric there and so it doesnt work in the same way. In the end I stiffened the fabric bit with superglue (being very careful not to stick it to anything else) and this helped a lot. I am really pleased with the look of it. Its a bit hard ordering it if you dont speak German, but theres a bit of help for english speakers. What Is worth pointing out, is there is an embossed bit on one corner of the screen itself which has the makers name and instructions not to wipe with a dry cloth. I dont mind it but if you do, then dont get one. The service is good and it arrived after a few days.
BladeRunner919

Z3 roadster 1.9

Re: new tyres and rear window

Post by BladeRunner919 »

Good to know - I have an Art Munster one to install soon. You can order from them on ebay which makes it easy. Also, their ebay listing allows you to make an offer, and they will take about £10 off.
John Wilson

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by John Wilson »

Good luck with the fitting. You will need to get some linen thread for the final sewing stich. Another tip that I learnt eventually after several frustrating attempts is that of loosening off the roof. When you do the final zipping round, it is not enough just to undo the roof handles. The roof needs to come back another few inches and that makes all the difference. If you really have to tug it round, the roof isnt back enough and the zip will probably burst in the middle and youll have to start again. Also it helps with the zipper to extend it to take it round the roll hoops. I did this with the plastic tool supplied by putting a keyring through the little hole and attaching it to the zipper.
Rafolian

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Rafolian »

I fitted one of these nearly 3 years ago and still good as new despite hood up and down all the time (living in Spain) and a fortnightly trip to the automatic car wash! I also fitted one to a friends Zed about a year ago, both times took approx 40 minutes. Well pleased, would buy another if needed!!
John Wilson

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by John Wilson »

You must have more dextrous fingers than me. Im not sure doing it again, I could be much quicker with the zip. You must be the one in the sites video doing the job in a couple of minutes. I'm glad to hear yours lasted so long. I wasnt sure about how long the double sided tape would last, but it seems to be holding fine.