Front brake discs not looking good

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
mrscalex

Z3 roadster 1.9

Front brake discs not looking good

Post by mrscalex »

No expert on brakes so need some second opinions here. Starting to look at the mechanicals on the 2.2 project ready for MOT. Remembering this car has not run for about 9 months and I've never driven it as it arrived by transporter.

On the outside surface of the front discs there's a badly corroded outer ring where presumably the pad isn't touching. On the inside surface that ring is much wider and together with an inner ring about 50% of the disc does not appear to be in contact with the pad. The pads appear to have plenty of thickness left.

Now I don't need to be told a new pair of discs would be advisable. And quite probably a new set of pads for good measure.

But what I'd like to understand is why the discs have ended up like that. Is it a pointer to the calliper pistons being partially seized?

The rear discs look fine and just have a surface coating of rust consistent with standing around.

ImageImage
2001 Z3 2.2 Topaz Blue (Trudy) - Keeper rebuilt from a write-off
2002 Z3 2.2 Titan Silver (Cookies) - Keeper rebuilt having been bought with a seized engine
2002 Z3 3.0 Sapphire Black (Peanut) - Keeper awaiting rebuilding having been bought as an abandoned project
Plus Willy, Kodak & Maycee - All 2.2 Sport projects. Yes, 6 is a lot of Z3s :)
Always happy to try and help with spares :)
stevov

Z3 roadster 2.0

Re: Front brake discs not looking good

Post by stevov »

Strip and clean and check for piston smooth travel definitely advised. Replace discs. The pad wear pattern on the outside, especially the excessively wide outer corroded ring indicates a budget pad where pad material widths get reduced to bring down costs. The inner wear I see every day. A result of poor maintenance, one or both sliders sticking, piston sticking.
mrscalex

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by mrscalex »

stevov wrote:Strip and clean and check for piston smooth travel definitely advised. Replace discs. The pad wear pattern on the outside, especially the excessively wide outer corroded ring indicates a budget pad where pad material widths get reduced to bring down costs. The inner wear I see every day. A result of poor maintenance, one or both sliders sticking, piston sticking.
Thank you. When you say slider - what does that mean? Can the piston be taken out and cleaned/serviced in any way?
ImageImage
2002 Z3 2.2 Titan Silver (Cookies) - Keeper rebuilt having been bought with a seized engine
2002 Z3 3.0 Sapphire Black (Peanut) - Keeper awaiting rebuilding having been bought as an abandoned project
stevov

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by stevov »

Sliders are the pins top and bottom that the caliper moves in and out on. The caliper itself can be rebuild. Kits available to reseal the piston and new dirt seals. Often the piston is corroded, can be replaced but I have found over the years for bog standard generic calipers just replace with reconditioned from eurocar parts or the like. Quick easy and warranty.
mrscalex

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by mrscalex »

stevov wrote:Sliders are the pins top and bottom that the caliper moves in and out on. The caliper itself can be rebuild. Kits available to reseal the piston and new dirt seals. Often the piston is corroded, can be replaced but I have found over the years for bog standard generic calipers just replace with reconditioned from eurocar parts or the like. Quick easy and warranty.
Thanks stevov. I just need a nudge in the right direction normally and I can take it from there. Plus it helps me to keep my to do list and budget realistic and updated :)

Looks like I might need up to a couple of hundred quid worst case with the calipers, discs and pads from Eurocarparts. But as I'm a skinflint I might try the rebuild kit :)
ImageImage
bertiejaffa

M roadster S50

Post by bertiejaffa »

biggred do great refurb kits for calipers, seals, sliders and pistons. for discs eurocarparts will be fine if you want standard good and affordable
Here come the girls.....
My //M Refurb
My First Zed Journal
Bonzo

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Bonzo »

Don't forget you get money back if you take your old calipers to ECP, provided of course you buy your new ones from them. I did this!
Z3lda (Zelda), 1998 2.8, Montreal Blue, Beige Oregon leather interior and M steering wheel, Sports Seats, Wood trim, Chrome Line Interior, Centre armrest with Cupholder, Alpina Softline wheels, Chromed Angel Eyes, De- tango'd, Rear stone guards, Sport aerial, ASC front strut brace, Strong Strut Butt Strut and Body Brace, Uprated brake fluid, Yellowstuff pads 78k.
mrscalex

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by mrscalex »

Bonzo wrote:Don't forget you get money back if you take your old calipers to ECP, provided of course you buy your new ones from them. I did this!
Good point. Didn't see the surcharge clause though so price remains at the £67.99 per side I originally bargained for. I think they do global 20% (?) discount days from time to time so will be waiting for one of those if I can. The V5 will still be another 3 weeks from DVLA as it was destroyed/lost so no rush!
ImageImage
bertiejaffa

M roadster S50

Post by bertiejaffa »

mrscalex wrote:
Bonzo wrote:Don't forget you get money back if you take your old calipers to ECP, provided of course you buy your new ones from them. I did this!
Good point. Didn't see the surcharge clause though so price remains at the £67.99 per side I originally bargained for. I think they do global 20% (?) discount days from time to time so will be waiting for one of those if I can. The V5 will still be another 3 weeks from DVLA as it was destroyed/lost so no rush!
And money back through quidco
Here come the girls.....
My //M Refurb
My First Zed Journal