power steering cooler pipe

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
handsomejackuk

Z3 roadster 1.9

power steering cooler pipe

Post by handsomejackuk »

I assume the loop in the front of the radiator is the power steering cooler mine looks like its seen better days, is it much of a job to change as i had one go on my saab and was left with no power steering...

whats your view on this...?
mrscalex

Z3 roadster 1.9

Re: power steering cooler pipe

Post by mrscalex »

handsomejackuk wrote:I assume the loop in the front of the radiator is the power steering cooler mine looks like its seen better days, is it much of a job to change as i had one go on my saab and was left with no power steering...

whats your view on this...?
I believe the consensus is if it works, isn't leaking and just looks nasty it's better just to rub it down and rust proof/paint it. I don't think it's a difficult job to change (I might be wrong). The bigger problem is finding a decent one second-hand or the expense of buying a brand new one - £80-£120 depending on who you get it from. I believe it's part number 32411093638 for all models, all ages.
ImageImage
2001 Z3 2.2 Topaz Blue (Trudy) - Keeper rebuilt from a write-off
2002 Z3 2.2 Titan Silver (Cookies) - Keeper rebuilt having been bought with a seized engine
2002 Z3 3.0 Sapphire Black (Peanut) - Keeper awaiting rebuilding having been bought as an abandoned project
Plus Willy, Kodak & Maycee - All 2.2 Sport projects. Yes, 6 is a lot of Z3s :)
Always happy to try and help with spares :)
NZ00Z3

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by NZ00Z3 »

Its not a big job to replace it.

If you are planning on doing the job, have a look at the two hoses that connect to the steering rack by the steering wheel junction. They use banjo bolts to connect to the rack. These pipes have metal sections and tend to rust out with pin holes and let you down expectantly. Especially the return hose between the rack and the cooler as the metal part run in front of the rack and is in the direct path of any water, mud or salt being flung around under the car.
handsomejackuk

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by handsomejackuk »

i dont really want to go pulling it about i did notice loads of big pieces flaking off when i was inspecting it, hopefully it will last a few months before i need to go changing it... I just wondered if its an all in one job, or if just the front section could be replaced...?
mrscalex

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by mrscalex »

handsomejackuk wrote:i dont really want to go pulling it about i did notice loads of big pieces flaking off when i was inspecting it, hopefully it will last a few months before i need to go changing it... I just wondered if its an all in one job, or if just the front section could be replaced...?
The big square piece is pretty much just what you see before it goes into rubber hoses.

If it's just surface corrosion I doubt very much it will fail any time soon. The majority of Z3s have the same issue unless someone has gone out their way to remedy it.

If you do want to clean it up it's easy enough to take off it's mounts and swing down for attention.
ImageImage
2001 Z3 2.2 Topaz Blue (Trudy) - Keeper rebuilt from a write-off
2002 Z3 2.2 Titan Silver (Cookies) - Keeper rebuilt having been bought with a seized engine
2002 Z3 3.0 Sapphire Black (Peanut) - Keeper awaiting rebuilding having been bought as an abandoned project
Plus Willy, Kodak & Maycee - All 2.2 Sport projects. Yes, 6 is a lot of Z3s :)
Always happy to try and help with spares :)
lightning

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by lightning »

Unless it's really badly corroded, clean it up and paint it with a wax based rustproofer.
handsomejackuk

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by handsomejackuk »

thanks all i leave it as it is for the moment....