disks stuck / seized grrr

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
handsomejackuk

Z3 roadster 1.9

disks stuck / seized grrr

Post by handsomejackuk »

so removed the 6mm locking bolt from front disks, wheel removed of course and caliper bracket and caliper.. several severe bangs with hammer to disk not budging.. think this will have to go to garage to get the disks any advice ?..

looks like it may have been on there a few years... grrrr
Brian4

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Re: disks stuck / seized grrr

Post by Brian4 »

I guess you are replacing the discs so put 1 or 2 of the wheel bolts back in a few threads. Get a big hammer and hit the outer edge of the disc hard and alternate opposite sides and it will come off. The wheel bolts are to stop the disc coming off in a rush, they hurt when they come off quickly.
Brian
3.0I Topaz Blue

2000 E36/7 Z3 3.0i
2016 F31 335d
2015 F21 118i
Del

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Del »

The manuals don’t talk about these problems when doing these jobs. :) I had this problem when changing my four discs recently. What worked was penetrating oil dripped into the cracks between the discs and the hub (just inside the wheel bolt holes) followed by heat applied to the face (where the bolt holes are) of the disc. The disc then needed a sharp tap (on the hum portion of the disc not the braking surface) with a lump hammer, to “shock” it free. When removed suggest cleaning the hub surface thoroughly with scotch pad and followed by a small smear of copper grease.

Instead of straightforward penetrating oils some people swear by this “freeze shock” stuff you can buy from Halfords etc.

I had a similar seize problem when changing the front brake pads on my wife’s Mini last year – I couldn’t even get the alloy wheel off the hub. :D I used the old trick of doing up the wheel nuts just finger tight followed by a short drive around the block – the shock unseized them and they came off easily.

The important thing is to not get tired, annoyed and frustrated and break something (we’ve all done that :D ). If necessary, leave it overnight to soak in and attack it in a refreshed state the next morning – we’ve all been there. :D
mrscalex

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by mrscalex »

I had the same problem this week. Plus Gas sprayed into the wheel nut holes/threads. Leave 2 mins.

handsomejack is I believe replacing his discs so you can get as violent with the hammer as you want. Leaving a couple of wheel nuts on is probably good advice but mine didn't exactly fly off when they did come loose.

Don't forget your copper grease on the disc to hub surface to help it to come off next time. Careful where you put the grease though - obviously not on the braking surface. Which should get a final rub down with brake cleaner when you've finished anyway.
ImageImage
2001 Z3 2.2 Topaz Blue (Trudy) - Keeper rebuilt from a write-off
2002 Z3 2.2 Titan Silver (Cookies) - Keeper rebuilt having been bought with a seized engine
2002 Z3 3.0 Sapphire Black (Peanut) - Keeper awaiting rebuilding having been bought as an abandoned project
Plus Willy, Kodak & Maycee - All 2.2 Sport projects. Yes, 6 is a lot of Z3s :)
Always happy to try and help with spares :)
handsomejackuk

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by handsomejackuk »

thanks all i give it another go tomorrow.... with a few wheel nuts slightly in and give it a good soak also i have a heat gun so was gonna apply some heat to the disk to expand it slightly... i have done disks before but normally they come off no problemo...hehe

i sort it..... :head:
handsomejackuk

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by handsomejackuk »

i didnt want to smak them too hard to day as i wait until i can get disks local tomorrow then they will have death !!!!!!
bertiejaffa

M roadster S50

Post by bertiejaffa »

had the same problem on my mates A5 recently when changing his discs...

....you need a bigger hammer and a harder swing - they'll come off
Here come the girls.....
My //M Refurb
My First Zed Journal
MarkAP68

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by MarkAP68 »

Get a M12 bolt and 2 nuts, wind one nut down the bolt, put the bolt through the caliper mounting hole and wind the other nut down the bolt up against the caliper mounting bracket. Hold the second nut with a spanner and wind the bolt up against the disk, keep winding bolt until disk pops off.
handsomejackuk

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by handsomejackuk »

did see this tip on youtube, not sure i want to attempt too much force on that caliper holding bracket for fear of it cracking, i decided to leave the disks for the moment and put a few miles on the car to see if they will clean up they not worn, just a little bit rusty, the rear ones were the same and they have seems to clean up ok...

have painted and cleaned up the caliper and mountng braket silver paint though just to smarten them up... rear calipers next few days....
MarkAP68

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by MarkAP68 »

I used the M12 bolts and it worked brilliantly, I was amazed how they shot off once they had popped :P
handsomejackuk

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by handsomejackuk »

grrrr ok you win :-( i will give them a try next week.... hehe