What am I missing? Boot loom/central locking/alarm issue :(

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
ghostprotocol84

Z3 roadster 2.0

What am I missing? Boot loom/central locking/alarm issue :(

Post by ghostprotocol84 »

Hi Guys just wanted to check if anybody experienced the same problem before giving up and handing the car over to an electrician.

I have a facelift 1999 2.0 Manual Z3, when I went to open it with the remote one day it didn’t work, so I replaced the battery and tried to pair it with the car but the central locking wasn’t responding. Then I checked out the notorious boot look and as it turns out the red wire was severed and other had chunks out of them. I soldered it up and isolated the lot with PVC tape, checked the fuses, re-connected the battery, tried to pair the key again but same issue, the central locking doesn’t kick in from the remote, lock or when sitting inside.

Am I missing anything? Can another component be damaged as a result of the loom fiasco?

Much appreciate any help :)
BonBon

Z3 roadster 1.9

Re: What am I missing? Boot loom/central locking/alarm issue

Post by BonBon »

Did you have a close look at the other wires in the loom?
The copper gets disconnected prior to the plastic shielding.
ghostprotocol84

Z3 roadster 2.0

So do you reckon other wires can be damaged underneath the sleeving? Would it be worth then to rip them all out and replace the length between boot lid and body?
BonBon

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by BonBon »

What I did was to stick needles into the ends of each of the suspect wires and check continuity with a DVM.
ghostprotocol84

Z3 roadster 2.0

That's a great idea, it will save me a lot of potential soldering, cheers :)
NZ00Z3

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by NZ00Z3 »

If you stick pins through your insulation, ensure that you seal them up again. Pin holes are a future fault in the making if left open.

There are many things that can go wrong with the central locking. The boot/trunk loom is a very common spot but there are others. You'll need to give us some more details to help you diagnose the problems.

The central locking will not work with the remote.
- Do both doors and boot/trunk lock and unlock if you use the key in the drivers door lock?
- Do both doors and boot/trunk lock and unlock if you use the key in the passenger door lock?
- Do both doors and boot/trunk lock and unlock if you use the key in the boot/trunk lock?

Can you please describe what you are doing when you talk about pairing the keys?

Regards

Muzz
ghostprotocol84

Z3 roadster 2.0

Sadly the central locking does not respond in any way. If I use the key in the drivers door (passengers is blank) or the boot it will only open set lock and none other. If I sit inside and press the pin down the other side does not respond and vice versa. The strange bit is all of the fuses are fine, but I have replaced them too just in case. Is there like a control unit that may have burned out due to the wires shorting in the boot loom?

Thanks for the tip, I will insulate the pin holes :)
NZ00Z3

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by NZ00Z3 »

Hi

The central locking is control by the General Module 4 (GM4) (ZKE in BMW language). It lives in a rack behind the glove box. Has three connectors on one side and two connectors on the other side.

I have two PDF files on the ZKE that cover its operation and pin-out. Can't attach them. PM me your email address and I'll send them to you.

The central locking requires lots of signals to work correctly. If they are missing then it plays up.

If you have INPA, you can check that all of the signals are there and working. If you don't, then get access to the ZKE, use the pin out file to identify the wires to test, unplug the correct connector, remove the connector cover, a couple of small plastic tabs, then test with an Ohm meter back to each switch to check for both states of the switch. Usually you will find one or more faults this way and once they are fixed, the central locking works again.

Hope this helps

Regards

Muzz
ghostprotocol84

Z3 roadster 2.0

Thank you for that, sounds like my digital multimeter will come in handy. In its last moments the alarm or central locking wouldn't work from the remote (kept blowing the fuse) but if I used the key in the lock it did work a couple of times before finally giving up (the fuse is still fine). So I presume it must be a failed wire somewhere unless the module failed.