clear side marker indicators on front wing

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
handsomejackuk

Z3 roadster 1.9

clear side marker indicators on front wing

Post by handsomejackuk »

hi is it the case of just changing the lenses or does the whole thing need to be changed...
need some advice please....

uk suppliers, or genuine oem lenses...i have not taken the lens off yet to have a look...

done the rear lights today thank to Mugs.. all sorted...
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Re: clear side marker indicators on front wing

Post by Southernboy »

The side markers are a complete unit with a socket for the bulb to fit into. It simply clips into position in the hole of the body panel. If you push your existing one forwards ( or maybe backwards - don't recall) and lift the other end out the hole, you will see the wires with the bulb attached which I think just pulls out... you can PM Andy aka Spurs Fan and ask him to upload a pic, or do a search in the stock exchange for side markers, there's bound to be some pics in there. or google "BMW Z3 SIDE REPEATERS IMAGES"
"Normal is overrated"

Z3 Upgrades and Additions
mrscalex

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by mrscalex »

Might be 1 or both of 2 lights you are referring to (I know which one you mean) but for avoidance of doubt:

- The 'additional turn indicator' to give it the BMW proper name on the front wing that can be clear or amber
- The side light aka 'side marker light' on the front bumper of wide-bodied/facelight cars which is always clear.

They are very easy to swap. As southernboy says, wiggle, pull and withdraw the bulb module (oh err missus).

It's probably one of the few bits I'd consider getting non-OEM for as there isn't too much to go wrong, famous last words...

OEM from a dealer you're looking at £50-£60 for the marker light per side. And for the indicator £30-£40 per side. Second-hand on ebay about £25 and £15 per side respectively. BMW actually sell the marker light on ebay for £25 new per side which is probably the real deal. For the indicator I'd personally stick with OEM second-hand at £15 per side.

Note when you search on ebay sometimes these lights are referred to as clear and sometimes as white. Headlights I've only ever seen referred to as clear. In fact these 3 lights get described in various ways so can elude searches. Use search parameters like 'z3 indicator (white,clear)', 'z3 (marker,side) (light,lamp) (white,clear)' and 'z3 (clear,facelift,white) (light,headlight,lamp,headlight)'
ImageImage
2001 Z3 2.2 Topaz Blue (Trudy) - Keeper rebuilt from a write-off
2002 Z3 2.2 Titan Silver (Cookies) - Keeper rebuilt having been bought with a seized engine
2002 Z3 3.0 Sapphire Black (Peanut) - Keeper awaiting rebuilding having been bought as an abandoned project
Plus Willy, Kodak & Maycee - All 2.2 Sport projects. Yes, 6 is a lot of Z3s :)
Always happy to try and help with spares :)
handsomejackuk

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by handsomejackuk »

thanks for the reply 'Rob.... yeah i have a go later to see how easy they come out.... took a few pics earlier of the new rear lights and give the car a bit of a polish looking loads better already...

pulled up in a quite scenic car park and had some funny looks from this fella up the lane as i was cleaning out my footwells and mats, and polishing mycar... i like to do it out of site not outside my house all the time

wooo hooo...

i dont want to pay too much for the markers not in any rush really so dont mind wiating a bit...

new pics later
mrscalex

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by mrscalex »

handsomejackuk wrote:pulled up in a quite scenic car park and had some funny looks from this fella up the lane as i was cleaning out my footwells and mats, and polishing mycar... i like to do it out of site not outside my house all the time
Just make sure you don't flash your lights or flick your windscreen wipers if it's in an out of the way car park :shock:
ImageImage
2001 Z3 2.2 Topaz Blue (Trudy) - Keeper rebuilt from a write-off
2002 Z3 2.2 Titan Silver (Cookies) - Keeper rebuilt having been bought with a seized engine
2002 Z3 3.0 Sapphire Black (Peanut) - Keeper awaiting rebuilding having been bought as an abandoned project
Plus Willy, Kodak & Maycee - All 2.2 Sport projects. Yes, 6 is a lot of Z3s :)
Always happy to try and help with spares :)
handsomejackuk

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by handsomejackuk »

hehe.... nah it was in daylight...

hmm does that make any difference ?