gearbox and diff oil change

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
handsomejackuk

Z3 roadster 1.9

gearbox and diff oil change

Post by handsomejackuk »

just curious went to my local mechanic enquiring about whether he interested in doing some work on my z3 over the coming months have plans for polybush some of the suspension, and possibly performance exhaust....... says he will do it no probs

and mentioned about getting it up on the ramps to have a look over it to see how it is underneath as i not really had chance to get under it... and let me know what bushes to change

while we were talking thought i ask about changing diff oil, and gearbox oil while its in the air...

quote £10 for oil and £40 labour does this seem reasonable...?

how much of a job is it to do with car jacked up on axle stands...?

as would like the satisfaction of knowing it has been done.... if you know what i mean...

Al....
NZ00Z3

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Re: gearbox and diff oil change

Post by NZ00Z3 »

Hi

Its a easy job if you have the right tools. Need a couple of hex head sockets and an oil pump to pump the oil into the diff and gear box. Can't use gravity and funnels on these ones.

You need to be careful when tightening up the drain/fill plugs. The gear box ones are tappered and will split the casing if you get to tough on them, check the torque setting and use it. Some references say to torque the diff drain/filler plugs to 70 Nm. There is a real chance of stripping the tread at that setting. 45 Nm is safer and does not cause the plugs to leak.

Everyone has a favorite brand/blend of oil to use. Do your research and choose one that you are happy with.

I use Redline oils, D4 ATF in the manual gear box on my 2000 2.0L Z3, its GL4 rated and 75W90 GL5 in the diffs.
Bonzo

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Bonzo »

Make sure you can undo the gearbox and diff filler plugs before you undo the drain plugs..........for obvious reasons :shock:

:cheers

Bonzo.
Z3lda (Zelda), 1998 2.8, Montreal Blue, Beige Oregon leather interior and M steering wheel, Sports Seats, Wood trim, Chrome Line Interior, Centre armrest with Cupholder, Alpina Softline wheels, Chromed Angel Eyes, De- tango'd, Rear stone guards, Sport aerial, ASC front strut brace, Strong Strut Butt Strut and Body Brace, Uprated brake fluid, Yellowstuff pads 78k.
handsomejackuk

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by handsomejackuk »

nice tips there especially on checking the fill plugs first....woulndt have thoguht of that !!!!!

wooo hooo
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

If you look through my post, you will find a very simply gravity feed method of doing the gearbox oil change...really simple and easy. The diff is another matter, but using the same equipment as I described for the gearbox, it's easy enough to do using gravity, and won't cost you £40 labour.. :wink:

http://www.zroadster.net/forum/viewtopi ... oil+change
"Normal is overrated"

Z3 Upgrades and Additions
Del

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Del »

£10 for the oil sounds a bit too cheap - I'd make sure you put in the proper, fully synthetic gear oil for the gearbox and diff - particularly if you have a LSD diff.
colb

Z3 roadster 1.8 TU

Post by colb »

+1 on Southernmost gravity refill I did same with a length of clear hose and a funnel from top of engine
Colb
1999 BMW 1.8 Z3
2003 BMW 2.5 Z4
1998 Honda Deauville NT650V
Benw123

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Benw123 »

Any tips on removing the gearbox filler nut? Access is poor and I couldn't get enough purchase on it to turn when I had a go last winter. In the end, I gave up, worried I'd crack the casing.
99/T Z3 1.9 twin-cam, Boston Green, black leather
handsomejackuk

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by handsomejackuk »

think i can do the diff no problem just need to get a 14mm socket allen key thingy... at least thats one job less to do.....
Del

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Del »

Benw123 wrote:Any tips on removing the gearbox filler nut? Access is poor and I couldn't get enough purchase on it to turn when I had a go last winter. In the end, I gave up, worried I'd crack the casing.
You need a shallow socket and probably something like an 18 inch breaker bar. These filler plugs seem to have been put on tight made worse by not having been touched for 10+ years. You won't break the casing by removing the plug.