disconnected battery hmmm

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
handsomejackuk

Z3 roadster 1.9

disconnected battery hmmm

Post by handsomejackuk »

Just curious here... i disconnected my battery last night as it was not put back in properly, and i needed to pull it out to get the clamp fitted properly... battery was off for about 5 mins. also the same day i pulled my throttle body off and cleaned my idle control valve and cleaned out my throttle body as the secondary butterfly was sticking...

anyway i gave it a quick start last night i didnt take it for a run as it was late... and it seemed to run ok

go to start it today and was quite difficult to start... just wondering if its a coincindence that i had the battery off, that maybe the ecu has reset and needs to adapt...?

or the idle control valve needs some more attention i pretty sure everything has gone back on ok.... i did give it a bit of spirited driving just now, and it seems to have settled down but idle does seem a bit rougher than it was previous.

any thoughts on this ? has the ecu reset due to battery being off
colb

Z3 roadster 1.8 TU

Re: disconnected battery hmmm

Post by colb »

Al
Not sure it would reset itself with battery disconnected, some one will be along to answer that one I'm sure.
As you had the throttle body off double check all the hoses for air leaks, that could be a reason for rough idle.
Plug your code reader in to see if it's set any codes which may be a clue if it has.

Colb
Colb
1999 BMW 1.8 Z3
2003 BMW 2.5 Z4
1998 Honda Deauville NT650V
handsomejackuk

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by handsomejackuk »

i not sure my code reader will plug in i havent used it for a long time..,. and forgot how to even set it up.... i have to check i got an obd plug under my steering... if not i have to get one of those adaptor cables like you have...
mrscalex

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by mrscalex »

I've disconnected the battery many times and had no problems on restart. Certainly no need to reset adaptations for that reason.

It does usually leave an error code of some sort though.

I'd guess it's more likely to be the work you've done.

Obviously it would be worth getting your reader working. Your's is a pre-facelift isn't it? So you won't have a plug under the dashboard and as I found out to my cost in the last few days the facelift dash connector will only read engine codes not chassis codes so in my view always worth plugging into the under bonnet connector. Unless you are running eg an app on your phone to monitor the readings in real time as you drive - well your passenger anyhow :)
ImageImage
2001 Z3 2.2 Topaz Blue (Trudy) - Keeper rebuilt from a write-off
2002 Z3 2.2 Titan Silver (Cookies) - Keeper rebuilt having been bought with a seized engine
2002 Z3 3.0 Sapphire Black (Peanut) - Keeper awaiting rebuilding having been bought as an abandoned project
Plus Willy, Kodak & Maycee - All 2.2 Sport projects. Yes, 6 is a lot of Z3s :)
Always happy to try and help with spares :)
colb

Z3 roadster 1.8 TU

Post by colb »

In Wednesday all day if you want to pop down and plug mine in, plan to do an oil change on mine.
Colb
1999 BMW 1.8 Z3
2003 BMW 2.5 Z4
1998 Honda Deauville NT650V
handsomejackuk

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by handsomejackuk »

May Do Colin i let you know.... i got to run about in the morning to doctors and wot not... so I see how i fixed for time...

i really need to get one of those adaptor cables like you have for my obd reader...