Just about to push the button

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
BanzaiZ3

Z3 roadster 1.9

Just about to push the button

Post by BanzaiZ3 »

Going to go push the button on this beauty on Monday.. Only the 1.9 but it's got the red leather I've been hunting for and for 1500 with a fresh mot.. There isn't far I can go wrong

Anything too look for? And what's everybody's thoughts

Oh and I'm Mac :) first post on zroadster
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Re: Just about to push the button

Post by Southernboy »

Welcome Mac !
What can go wrong.... nothing - but you'll be caught with the Z3 flu.... say goodbye to your relaxing lifestyle and get ready to fall in love all over again... :wink:
"Normal is overrated"

Z3 Upgrades and Additions
mrscalex

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by mrscalex »

A few tips:

1. Never say there's nothing to go wrong. It sounds like you may not have seen the car? For example. The paintwork can be easily flattered in a photo and rust on the sill ends and arches can be difficult to see. It might drive like a dog. The small scratch on the nearside might end up needing a replacement wing (£50-£75 plus your time/labour). Looking at it positively, nothing too much to go wrong if you're going to get into Z3s as you'll enjoy fixing it even if you're bank balance won't...
2. Check the MOT history
3. Check the original build spec on bmw vin and you might find some optional extras you weren't aware of that might push you over the line
4. £1,500 isn't expensive but with 100k miles I'd be looking for it for a little less. I'd be opening up with £1,250
4. Never tell anyone what you're about to buy unless you are desperate for the advice. Just in case it's so nice someone else steps in ;)
ImageImage
2001 Z3 2.2 Topaz Blue (Trudy) - Keeper rebuilt from a write-off
2002 Z3 2.2 Titan Silver (Cookies) - Keeper rebuilt having been bought with a seized engine
2002 Z3 3.0 Sapphire Black (Peanut) - Keeper awaiting rebuilding having been bought as an abandoned project
Plus Willy, Kodak & Maycee - All 2.2 Sport projects. Yes, 6 is a lot of Z3s :)
Always happy to try and help with spares :)
colb

Z3 roadster 1.8 TU

Post by colb »

Bung a code reader on it and just check for any codes, all the sensors getting old on it now and ripe for playing up as are the rubber hoses and pipes, give it a good going over.
Colb
1999 BMW 1.8 Z3
2003 BMW 2.5 Z4
1998 Honda Deauville NT650V
BladeRunner919

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by BladeRunner919 »

I would check the claim that it has heated seats, because there's no sign of the switches for them on the dash.

It's only a couple of miles from me, but you're lucky I'm not in the market so I won't gazump you! :)
mrscalex

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by mrscalex »

I just checked the build spec and point in case why it's always worth checking.

It was built with heated seats. Are the switches at the back of the console?
It was built with an onboard computer. Didn't even know the pre-facelifts had them
It was built with hardtop preparation. That's a particularly desirable option.

Note 'it was built with'. It doesn't mean it still has the feature! Though the red leather seats are listed as original.
ImageImage
2002 Z3 2.2 Titan Silver (Cookies) - Keeper rebuilt having been bought with a seized engine
2002 Z3 3.0 Sapphire Black (Peanut) - Keeper awaiting rebuilding having been bought as an abandoned project
BladeRunner919

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by BladeRunner919 »

mrscalex wrote: It was built with heated seats. Are the switches at the back of the console?
It was built with an onboard computer. Didn't even know the pre-facelifts had them
It was built with hardtop preparation. That's a particularly desirable option.
Switches could be at the back, but that's unusual when there is space in the front - the car doesn't even have the switch panel in the front.
Yes, OBC was available pre-facelift
I don't think Hardtop Preparation means anything. I was under the impression that they all say that - mine certainly does, and has no hardtop-related fixtures, or any suggestion that it ever did have.
Last edited by BladeRunner919 on Wed 27 Jul, 2016 16:30, edited 1 time in total.
BanzaiZ3

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by BanzaiZ3 »

Hi guys :)

Being bought on Monday so keep your hands away.. I'm hoping to get it for 1300 hopefully and give it a good service etc.. I till I have been to view I won't be able to tell on extras etc as it is a lady owner who isn't really interested in the car anymore.. (Upgraded to a Porsche) so it's been sat for a month so far. But I have had images sent to me off the scratch.. (Can be polished out hopefully) or resprayed. And the inner arches and no signs of rust.

Been after a black with red leather at the right price for a while so fingers crossed this doesn't disappoint since I'm travelling a hundred miles for it :)

Nice to meet you all though and thanks for the advice.. I scanned something about heated seats? Is there a question over wether this model with have them?
mrscalex

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by mrscalex »

BladeRunner919 wrote: I don't think Hardtop Preparation means anything. I was under the impression that they all say that - nice certainly does, and has no hardtop-related fixtures, or any suggestion that it ever did have.
They don't all say that and I am sad enough I look at a lot of cars for sale and a lot of build specs. It was ages before I checked my breaker's build spec and it was listed. Went to look on car and lo and behold... whether the ones you saw were built with it and subsequently removed as they are a valuable part we don't know. And perhaps the entry is sometimes inaccurate but most things seem to match whenever I check.
ImageImage
BladeRunner919

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by BladeRunner919 »

BanzaiZ3 wrote: I scanned something about heated seats? Is there a question over whether this model with have them?
The question arose because the ad states the seats are heated, but the heated seat switches are not on the dash, where they should be. They may be at the rear, but that would be unusual, so worth checking.
lightning

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by lightning »

To be honest at that price who cares about heated seats anyway!
peter2b

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by peter2b »

well spotted no heater switches no roll bars eather but she does look nice good luck, place I stayed at near hereford had just bought a 1.9 frome a "friend" for £3500 , this one looks in better condition
peter2b
BanzaiZ3

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by BanzaiZ3 »

The prices are varying so much.... I've been looking for a while and one minute I see them around 2,000 and the next week there down and up again the following...

Just hoping it isn't a case of finding the dream spec on a bad car Fingers crossed :) well it won't be staying standard anyway ;)
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robert T »

Hi and welcome to the forum, Mac.

Hardtop preparation does not mean installation of a hardtop fitting kit. It means running the wiring for the heated rear windscreen through to the mounting point next to the left-hand seatbelt turret - this is done on all cars with the electromechanical softtop as the same piece of the wiring harness is shared with the roof microswitch.

Cheers R.
Arctic Silver '99 Z3 1.9 & Black '59 Frogeye 1275cc
mrscalex

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by mrscalex »

Robert T wrote:Hi and welcome to the forum, Mac.

Hardtop preparation does not mean installation of a hardtop fitting kit. It means running the wiring for the heated rear windscreen through to the mounting point next to the left-hand seatbelt turret - this is done on all cars with the electromechanical softtop as the same piece of the wiring harness is shared with the roof microswitch.

Cheers R.
Thanks. Good to have that clarified.
ImageImage
lightning

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by lightning »

You can buy the hardtop adaptor wiring harness from BMW for about £20 and the HRW switch is a similar price. Both just plug in to existing wiring.
Bonzo

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Bonzo »

I think there are articles on what to look for and check when buying a Z3 on the Knowledge Base section.
Welcome to the forum Mac, don't be afraid to ask about anything you aren't sure about.

:cheers

Bonzo.
Z3lda (Zelda), 1998 2.8, Montreal Blue, Beige Oregon leather interior and M steering wheel, Sports Seats, Wood trim, Chrome Line Interior, Centre armrest with Cupholder, Alpina Softline wheels, Chromed Angel Eyes, De- tango'd, Rear stone guards, Sport aerial, ASC front strut brace, Strong Strut Butt Strut and Body Brace, Uprated brake fluid, Yellowstuff pads 78k.
lightning

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by lightning »

A lot of car for under £1500.
BanzaiZ3

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by BanzaiZ3 »

Thanks Bonzo!! And im sure monday evening after ive been to view the car i will have some interesting questions, but it seems ive caught the slight z3 bug already.. cant stop my self looking at parts.. 20mm spacers, coilovers.. etc etc
Bonzo

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Bonzo »

Yes Mac, you've got the bug, there's no hope for you now. Bonzo and Banzai eh,... Hah! Best of luck with it.

:cheers
Z3lda (Zelda), 1998 2.8, Montreal Blue, Beige Oregon leather interior and M steering wheel, Sports Seats, Wood trim, Chrome Line Interior, Centre armrest with Cupholder, Alpina Softline wheels, Chromed Angel Eyes, De- tango'd, Rear stone guards, Sport aerial, ASC front strut brace, Strong Strut Butt Strut and Body Brace, Uprated brake fluid, Yellowstuff pads 78k.