Putting a Z3 into storage?

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
srichards

Z3 roadster 2.8

Putting a Z3 into storage?

Post by srichards »

I've decided to put my Z3 into a dryish garage until I decide what to do with it.

I was planning on putting it in there as is but disconnecting the battery. Left in neutral, handbrake off and chocked wheels. Tyres will be pumped up to a higher than normal amount to discourage flat spotting. I have left a car in gear before and ended up with the clutch rusted in place so I won't be doing that again!

Are the door locks likely to seize if left? I've only left ancient cars ie 40+ year old ones for any length of time so leaving a modern 17 year old whippersnapper is new.

Any other things I should do to it? I was going to get an oil change but I've not had time so it will just be put away with the oil that's in it. It's done about 3k on this oil and the service isn't due until at least October so I'm assuming the service light won't come on again until it's brought out of storage.
peter2b

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Re: Putting a Z3 into storage?

Post by peter2b »

best thing keep driving it
peter2b
colb

Z3 roadster 1.8 TU

Post by colb »

Personally I would change the oil before putting it away no contaminants left in the engine to fester away, also put it up on axle stands so its off the tyres completely. Door locks should be ok, if you disconnect the battery bear in mind you will need your radio code and the ecu may well reset itself when its connected up again. Don't forget to give the battery an occasional maintenance charge. I would rather leave battery connected and start the car regularly and allow it to run up to temperature also depressing the clutch a few times to make sure its not stuck. Handbrake off and in neutral.
Colb
1999 BMW 1.8 Z3
2003 BMW 2.5 Z4
1998 Honda Deauville NT650V
lightning

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by lightning »

How long are you planning to store it for?

Less than 12 months in a dry garage you don't really need to do anything except leave the handbrake off and either remove the battery or leave a maintenance charger on it.

I just put a 2002 BMW Mini Cooper back on the road, that had not been used for 11 years. It had been parked in a dry garage but nothing else had been done.
It was fairly dusty!
The battery was dead and needed replacing. The tyres needed air but were not "flat spotted". The engine took a bit of starting but was soon running like a swiss watch on 2005 petrol.
I put some more petrol in and drove it 4 miles to the MOT station and everything worked just fine.
srichards

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by srichards »

I haven't got a plan yet.

It's not somewhere easily accessed so starting it up and moving it isn't simple. I would have preferred to have changed the oil but it may only be in there until next Spring. Otherwise it might be years if I decide I can't be bothered with sorting it out.

Battery on it is a brand new one as the old one failed about 2 weeks ago.

It's got an aftermarket head unit in so I don't think I'll need any kind of radio code fortunately. I didn't when I changed the battery anyway.
TitanTim

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by TitanTim »

Mine tends to be stored 6 months of the year, the primary concern is ensuring where its stored is as dry as possible especially the floor as damp rises and making sure no rodents can get in, mice etc will happilly build nests in the engine bay/interior and chew through wiring .
Before doing anything give the car a good run to ensure a little condensation as possible is in the exhaust system and cylinder head.

I tend to,

1) Leave handbrake off.
2) Use a ctek batter conditioner plugged into the lighter socket as the socket is permanently live or take battery out.
3) Leave windows down slightly to aid ventilation and slacken the roof off so the roof seals arent compressed.
4) Leave car unlocked.
5) Give the engine bay and electrics a light spray with WD40 along with brake calipers, not discs :) to keep damp away.
6) Ensure floor in storage area is covered in polythene to stop damp rising, you will be surprised if the floor is damp how quickly the underside of car will start to rust if there is no ventilation.
7) Wax bodywork and cover with a cotton sheet, I use bed sheets.
8) Don't be tempted to start the car every once and while thinking it will warm things through, once stored leave it.
9) If storing for years I would probably drain the fuel tank and put the car on axle stands and change oil and plugs before its next start.

Tim.
2001 Z3 1.9 Roadster Sport - 2012 Z4 sDrive 2.0 M Sport
srichards

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by srichards »

Fortunately it's reasonably well ventilated as there are gaps under both doors so there is a good draught. There are also ventilation bricks high up as well.

If I store it more permanently I think I'd take it out and get it serviced and waxoyled before putting it back.
TitanTim

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by TitanTim »

I use Dinitrol for the cars underside its much better than waxoyl which tends to dry out over time, 5 cans will comfortably cover the floorpan and arches etc, not the most pleasant of jobs lying on your back but dooable in a few hours.

http://www.frost.co.uk/dinitrol-metalli ... 500ml.html

Tim.
2001 Z3 1.9 Roadster Sport - 2012 Z4 sDrive 2.0 M Sport
srichards

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by srichards »

Unpleasant jobs usually involve paying someone else to do them :)
lightning

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by lightning »

If the garage floor is concrete, put a carpet or some other covering on it to prevent condensation.
deni2s

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by deni2s »

"I would rather leave battery connected and start the car regularly and allow it to run up to temperature"

Don't do this. Temp changes will attract more condensation.

I usually store the car for winter months, just leave the windows slightly open for better air circulation. And I am taking out the battery, charging it full and keep it inside of a house in a room temperature - in the spring it's still charged if in good condition. And car always starts as it was driven every day.
Alan W

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Alan W »

My car is also stored for around 6 months of the year.. parked in a garage with handbrake off.. I put on a breathable full cover and the battery is placed on trickle charge - two weeks on / two weeks off.. during this period I start it up and let it run to normal operating temp every couple of months to ensure that the fuel pump doesn't seize/fail as a result of her being laid up and at the same time I drive out on to the street and do a couple of 3 point turns so it hopefully goes back into the garage with the tyres in a different positions to prevent possible tyre flat-spots.. and literally just before storage I apply Gummi Pflege to all the rubber seals.. give the leather seats a good application of E45 cream.. and flush the oil system with a good flusher to get rid of any nasties and drain, and then fill with new oil. Oh.. and I also put one of those caravan condensation catchers inside the car.. you'd be surprised how much condensation they attract..
1999 facelit Z3 Roadster 2.8 Auto in Cosmos Black aka 'Gloria'
lightning

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by lightning »

It's a good idea to use the aircon (if fitted) once a month to stop the seals drying out.
911sc

M roadster S54

Post by 911sc »

I store mine for six months of the year ( the cold ones!) and have always used Carcoons

I take most of the actions previously described and the carcoon keeps the car dry, dehumidified and the battery topped up. Don't cost much to run either and the car always emerges in great fettle
peter2b

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by peter2b »

lightning wrote:How long are you planning to store it for?

Less than 12 months in a dry garage you don't really need to do anything except leave the handbrake off and either remove the battery or leave a maintenance charger on it.

I just put a 2002 BMW Mini Cooper back on the road, that had not been used for 11 years. It had been parked in a dry garage but nothing else had been done.
It was fairly dusty!
The battery was dead and needed replacing. The tyres needed air but were not "flat spotted". The engine took a bit of starting but was soon running like a swiss watch on 2005 petrol.
I put some more petrol in and drove it 4 miles to the MOT station and everything worked just fine.
be care full about driving on tyres 10 years old a friend did that and 2 blew out
peter2b
mrscalex

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by mrscalex »

peter2b wrote: be care full about driving on tyres 10 years old a friend did that and 2 blew out
peter2b
Isn't the life of a tyre normally quoted at 5 years? I can't say I'd want to use a car with tyres older than that. But then the tyres on my daily car last me all of 8 months a time!
ImageImage
2001 Z3 2.2 Topaz Blue (Trudy) - Keeper rebuilt from a write-off
2002 Z3 2.2 Titan Silver (Cookies) - Keeper rebuilt having been bought with a seized engine
2002 Z3 3.0 Sapphire Black (Peanut) - Keeper awaiting rebuilding having been bought as an abandoned project
Plus Willy, Kodak & Maycee - All 2.2 Sport projects. Yes, 6 is a lot of Z3s :)
Always happy to try and help with spares :)
pingu

M roadster S50

Post by pingu »

srichards wrote:I have left a car in gear before and ended up with the clutch rusted in place so I won't be doing that again!
:shrug

I'm interested to know how you think that leaving the car in neutral will affect whether the clutch seizes or not. Dampness and lack of use would have caused the clutch to seize.

I'm assuming that it will be stored in a well ventilated garage with a damp-proof floor for a period not exceeding 12 months. If you are storing it for >12 months, there are lots of additional things to do if you want to do it properly - I used to deal with storing vehicles for 30+ years and it was amazing the problems that you could get :shock: .

Best advice that I can give is to do most of the things mentioned by others, but get it fully warmed before you switch it off for the last time. This will encourage all moisture to evaporate. After that, if you need to move it, roll it. Or start again from scratch.

I leave the bonnet popped. This allows access to the engine and emergency access to the battery terminals just in case you can't get in the boot. You could leave the doors ajar, but for less than 12 months, I would just leave them unlocked. Pop the boot.

Disconnect the battery (essential if you want to start the car again with the same battery), but don't be surprised if you get fault codes when you next diagnose the engine :wink: . I keep the battery in the garage and use it as a handy 12v supply when I'm testing stuff and charge it when it needs it. No need to trickle charge unless you leave it connected.

Popping the roof is a good tip as it covers a lot of bases - ventilation, de-stresses the fabric and takes the window glass off the seals. Don't fold the roof all the way down as this will encourage the line in the rear window.

A oil change before and after putting it to bed is a good idea if it's a >12 month siesta, but if the oil is still honey-coloured, I'd only change it on wake-up. When you wake it up, remove the spark plugs and the fuel pump fuses before coring the engine until you put out the oil-pressure light.

Re draining the tank. Filling would be better (and safer) if you are storing for <12 months. 12 month old fuel should be OK to use.

Don't put it on axle stands, unless you support it on the suspension. The suspension is designed to be at a certain height. When it is drooping, shock struts are exposed and permanent stress is put on parts that are designed to be momentarily stressed and seals are distorted.

If you are planning on a >12 month hibernation, there are MANY more things to consider :wink:
Pingu