Whine when wheels on full lock?

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
Warrior

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Whine when wheels on full lock?

Post by Warrior »

Happened a couple of times, comes and goes...

Wheels on full lock, right hand down when parking, a gentle whining sound from somewhere up front! Doesn't happen on left hand down?

This continues when driving, at an even quieter level but still noticeable when steering at slow speeds.

Any ideas?

PS: I have had a sticky brake caliper recently but this is unlike any sound i've heard before...
mrscalex

Z3 roadster 1.9

Re: Whine when wheels on full lock?

Post by mrscalex »

Assuming it's not the obvious and something to do with the power steering pump.

I had something similar on my old Alhambra. It wasn't what I expected (the power steering pump). It was the bearings on the alternator. I can't remember why the steering on full lock had anything to do with that!
ImageImage
2001 Z3 2.2 Topaz Blue (Trudy) - Keeper rebuilt from a write-off
2002 Z3 2.2 Titan Silver (Cookies) - Keeper rebuilt having been bought with a seized engine
2002 Z3 3.0 Sapphire Black (Peanut) - Keeper awaiting rebuilding having been bought as an abandoned project
Plus Willy, Kodak & Maycee - All 2.2 Sport projects. Yes, 6 is a lot of Z3s :)
Always happy to try and help with spares :)
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

Generally it's an indication of low fluid level in the PS reservoir which is starving the pump for fluid. Alternately the pump itself is in need of a service. Also, check for leaks in the system hoses. As a general guide, the PS pump does have a tendency to whine at full lock because it's still trying to pump, but the wheels can't be turned any further. The fact that it's "quietly" whining under normal driving indicates a service or replacement. Perhaps consider a replacement from Andy - Spurs fan in a coupe... he may be able to assist with one at a reasonable price, if not, try eBay or the breakers. A service can be pricey since the entire system is overhauled and bled.
"Normal is overrated"

Z3 Upgrades and Additions
Warrior

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Warrior »

Many thanks Southernboy. Checked the fluid and it was well under Low on the dipstick cap. When I went to top up it was virtually empty so up on the ramp tomorrow to have it checked out for leaks.