boot / trunk removal.?

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
handsomejackuk

Z3 roadster 1.9

boot / trunk removal.?

Post by handsomejackuk »

Anyone removed a boot/trunk ?

how do i disconnect the wiring loom is it an easy job ?
colb

Z3 roadster 1.8 TU

Re: boot / trunk removal.?

Post by colb »

mrscalex may be the man to answer this, he had his off recently had a quick look on his rebuild thread bu didn't spot any details on the wiring removal
Colb
1999 BMW 1.8 Z3
2003 BMW 2.5 Z4
1998 Honda Deauville NT650V
colb

Z3 roadster 1.8 TU

Post by colb »

http://www.zroadster.net/forum/viewtopi ... 85#p352585

If you resort to cutting the loom this thread is interesting
Colb
1999 BMW 1.8 Z3
2003 BMW 2.5 Z4
1998 Honda Deauville NT650V
mrscalex

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by mrscalex »

Yes it's easy to remove both the boot lid and the wiring harness.

But it's more difficult getting it back! You'll need to feed something like strimmer wire back through the boot lid to drag the loom through. It's a tight fit by the time you've bound the loom to the strimmer wire with a lot of wiggling and swearing.

Re-aligning the boot lid can also be time consuming. You need to make sure you've got the panel gap right, then loosen the striker plate on the lower boot aperture trim so the bolts just hold it, shut it, the striker plate positions itself where it wants to be and you tighten the bolts. If it doesn't work you'll have to re-align the boot lid itself and try again.

Changing the lock is easy enough. But if you disconnect the actuator rod make sure the plastic locking clip is properly rotated and the rod is clicked properly into place. If that pops out you'll be locked out of the boot.

Like many jobs it's down to being methodical and patient. No special skills required.
ImageImage
2001 Z3 2.2 Topaz Blue (Trudy) - Keeper rebuilt from a write-off
2002 Z3 2.2 Titan Silver (Cookies) - Keeper rebuilt having been bought with a seized engine
2002 Z3 3.0 Sapphire Black (Peanut) - Keeper awaiting rebuilding having been bought as an abandoned project
Plus Willy, Kodak & Maycee - All 2.2 Sport projects. Yes, 6 is a lot of Z3s :)
Always happy to try and help with spares :)
mrscalex

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by mrscalex »

colb wrote:http://www.zroadster.net/forum/viewtopi ... 85#p352585

If you resort to cutting the loom this thread is interesting
Don't cut the loom! Not necessary.

But that's a good thread if you are having electrical issues in the boot area.
ImageImage
2002 Z3 2.2 Titan Silver (Cookies) - Keeper rebuilt having been bought with a seized engine
2002 Z3 3.0 Sapphire Black (Peanut) - Keeper awaiting rebuilding having been bought as an abandoned project
BladeRunner919

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by BladeRunner919 »

To be honest, I'd definitely cut the loom and reroute it as shown in the thread that colb linked to. I did this on mine as a pre-emptive fix to avoid the problem of wires breaking in the loom between the body and the bootlid, as it avoids loom folding/unfolding to the extent that it does as standard.
mrscalex

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by mrscalex »

handsomejack will have to decide the best route based on our varying experiences.

But all 4 Z3s that have gone through my hands have had looms perfectly intact. And fiddly that it is (borrow a little person/someone with small fingers) it's probably less overall effort to re-feed the loom than splice it. The strimmer wire feed works well - just use some decent quality stuff that's come off a wide-wound reel that isn't too curly.

I notice also on the reference thread that the loom has been fed back by-passing the original grommet holes in the surround and lid and goes straight into the boot space. Being an originality merchant an unsubtle mod like that wouldn't sit well with me and I'd say it's potentially even more vulnerable to getting trapped now!
ImageImage
handsomejackuk

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by handsomejackuk »

thanks for the replies all... i have a look at this during the winter and enjoy the rest of the summer with the z3 still all together...

wooo hoooo