road holding

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
rambo
Sponsor 2018

Z3 roadster 2.0

road holding

Post by rambo »

Hi Guys
I've noticed recently that on a poor road surface the car tends to skitter around both at the front and back. It is a 1999 2.0 litre and has only covered 43,000 miles.
Any pointers as to what to look for please?
Regards
Rambo
Alan W

Z3 roadster 2.8

Re: road holding

Post by Alan W »

You most probably need a new set of tyres all round.. the car is well known for 'tramlining' and most owners find that a new set of tyres is the best solution. Google BMW Z3 tramlining
1999 facelit Z3 Roadster 2.8 Auto in Cosmos Black aka 'Gloria'
mrscalex

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by mrscalex »

I never drive fast enough to experience handling problems!

So I've never really understood exactly what's meant by tramlining. In fact it always sounds good news to me if a car goes round a bend like it's on rails!

But I have followed a few threads and know that tyres are invariably the first port of call. But it's not the only thing. Folk change suspension bushes and put strut braces on but usually there's a trade-off somewhere.

This is an old but good start thread.

http://www.zroadster.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=10641

Other owners often big up Falken tyres which are a reasonable price but are noted to be particularly suited to a Z3. I have a set that came into my position that I need to get round to fitting.
ImageImage
2001 Z3 2.2 Topaz Blue (Trudy) - Keeper rebuilt from a write-off
2002 Z3 2.2 Titan Silver (Cookies) - Keeper rebuilt having been bought with a seized engine
2002 Z3 3.0 Sapphire Black (Peanut) - Keeper awaiting rebuilding having been bought as an abandoned project
Plus Willy, Kodak & Maycee - All 2.2 Sport projects. Yes, 6 is a lot of Z3s :)
Always happy to try and help with spares :)
Deano1712
Z Register organiser

M roadster S50

Post by Deano1712 »

Could be rear shock absorbers. If they are old I would change them since they are not too expensive and easy to fit.
Z3M with a few mods...and a little bit more power
NZ00Z3

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by NZ00Z3 »

Front Axle:
- Replace front control arm rear bushings. Don't use OEM bushings. Use Z3M bushings, poly urethane or http://www.ebay.com/itm/Suspension-Cont ... 2362c3d453
- How old are your tires? Had 10 year old tires on the front that caused handling problems. Put them on the rear and new ones on the front and problem solved.

Rear Axle:
- 17 year old rubber bushings are getting soft, even with your low milage. Change sub-frame bushings as you may be getting a bit or rear end steering. If the car is your daily drive and comfort is the priority, then use OEM rubber on the 2.0 L Z3. If you don't mind a bit of an increase in NVH and you are after a stiffer suspension, use Poly Uethane
- Check your rear shocks. The OE shocks don't last. Disconnect the bottom bolt and push/pull to see what sort of action you have left. There should be resistance in both directions from the oil valving. There should also be a gas charge that will force the shock to extend. If you can hold the shock compressed with just a little hand force, then it's stuffed.
rambo
Sponsor 2018

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by rambo »

Thanks for the info guys. I'm sure it must be bushes or rear shocks so will have to get down and dirty to check