Dim area on speedo

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
Boosh

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Dim area on speedo

Post by Boosh »

Hi all,
It might have always been there, and I just noticed it (though I doubt it), but I seem to have an area between the 60 and 80 km/h marks that is dimmer than the rest of the display, regardless of brightness adjustment. Is it normal, or will I need to PM our very own Spurs Fan In A Coupe for a replacement bulb? If it is a blown bulb, could anyone confirm that the whole cluster can be taken out without removing the steering wheel, and that it can be opened without risking any damage?
Thanks in advance,

Boosh.
BladeRunner919

Z3 roadster 1.9

Re: Dim area on speedo

Post by BladeRunner919 »

It's where the printed plastic with the speedo markings has come slightly away from the backing, causing an area of shadow. Mine does that occasionally then seems to re-attach itself. I guess it's possible that the heat has caused it, and it will revert to normal as the weather cools. Otherwise it is possible to fix - have a look at this:

http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=395434
Boosh

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by Boosh »

Thanks, I'll wait for the weather to cool down and see whether I need to take the plunge.

Boosh.
deni2s

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by deni2s »

Boosh wrote:If it is a blown bulb, could anyone confirm that the whole cluster can be taken out without removing the steering wheel, and that it can be opened without risking any damage?
I can confirm that. After removing two T20 screws you can use suction cup from phone holders to pull the cluster without making damage enough to disconnect the 3 wire cables at the back with your hand (need to pull the lever before disconnecting).

Boosh

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by Boosh »

Well, after all the info gathered here --thanks--, I pulled the cluster out of the binnacle with the steering wheel in situ. However, I was not successful with opening it up, as my Torx bit would not fit through the access holes to the screws. So I put the cluster back in and got on with other things. And tonight, what a surprise: the dim spot has disappeared. I guess it was indeed caused by unusually hot weather, and sorted itself out as the weather cooled down. Result!

Boosh.