Brake discs

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster

Moderator: Gazza

alec.m

Z3 roadster 2.8

Brake discs

Post by alec.m » Fri 26 Aug, 2016 12:26

ECP have another 30% off sale on. I`ll be needing some front discs and pads for my 3.0 before the year is out so I`m thinking of getting them while the sale is on. I`d like some views on the difference between say Eicher premium that work out at £17.50 each after discount and Bosch which work out at £35 each after discount. Are the Bosch ones twice as good as the Eicher? My thoughts are it`s the pads which make or break the stopping performance but that brings another dilemma, which pads does one fit. Thanks in advance. Alec

mrscalex

Z3 roadster 1.9

Re: Brake discs

Post by mrscalex » Fri 26 Aug, 2016 12:54

alec.m wrote:ECP have another 30% off sale on. I`ll be needing some front discs and pads for my 3.0 before the year is out so I`m thinking of getting them while the sale is on. I`d like some views on the difference between say Eicher premium that work out at £17.50 each after discount and Bosch which work out at £35 each after discount. Are the Bosch ones twice as good as the Eicher? My thoughts are it`s the pads which make or break the stopping performance but that brings another dilemma, which pads does one fit. Thanks in advance. Alec
ECP have a 30% off sale at least once a week ;) Subscribe to the daily email, they often do 30% off as a 2 hour flash sale. But never, ever buy from ECP when time is on your side unless they are running a 30% discount :lol: In fact the email pretty much gives a 20-30% discount every day of the week. It reminds me of a joke a former colleague used to tell. "I'm the unluckiest man in the world. I walked into MFI and they didn't have a sale on" - maybe you had to be there...

Carparts4less (owned by ECP - it's the mail order only arm) are often as cheap as ECP with the 30% discount.

I went with Pagid from ECP. Can't remember the rationale but I tend to go for best value. ie best quality for a middle of the road outlay. I probably ignored the very cheapest and then went with the cheapest from a bunch of closely priced well known makes.

I honestly think with brake pads and discs that there's a lot of unnecessary paranoia. Don't buy obviously cheap/unbranded stuff and don't invest money in EBC (greenstuff etc) unless you are taking it on the track. Otherwise any well known make should be up to the job. I can certainly confirm my Pagid parts stop the car ;) but then I never throw the Z3s around, now my Alhambra - that's a different matter :)

PS I can see you're wise to it but for others don't forget ECP list brake discs singley and not as a pair.
PPS for anyone who's never picked up parts from ECP before, take a deckchair, sandwiches, thermos of coffee and a novel with you. They are sooooooooo slow.
ImageImage
1999 Z3 1.9 Boston Green (Dimitri) - My brother's car owned from new and restored by me
2001 Z3 2.2 Topaz Blue (Trudy) - My car rebuilt from a write-off
2002 Z3 2.2 Titan Silver (Okus) - Project car waiting for a new engine
2001 Z3 2.2 Topaz Blue (Debra) - Donor car/breaker
1998 Z3 1.9 Boston Green (Allsworth) - Donor car/breaker now gone to Z3 heaven
Always happy to try and help with spares :)

alec.m

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by alec.m » Fri 26 Aug, 2016 14:24

Thanks for the input Robert. I`ll probably go for the middle of the road ones as I always do. Eicher premium ones must be made to a spec that passes some EE laws. Maybe it`s the make up of the metal that makes a price difference and of course the top branded will always command a premium price even if they`re OF identical quality.

colb

Z3 roadster 1.8 TU

Post by colb » Fri 26 Aug, 2016 15:42

Try Carparts4less even though they are part of Euro Parts they are often cheaper than Europarts
Colb
1999 BMW 1.8 Z3
1998 Honda Deauville NT650V

Del

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Del » Fri 26 Aug, 2016 20:17

As you say, they all have to comply with modern standards. Eicher is ECP in-house, budget brand. I haven’t tried that specific brand but usually with budget discs they “rust-up” quite quickly and don’t have the protective, rust resist coating which preserves the non-friction surfaces. Personally, I’ve used Pagid discs and pads on several cars and been happy with the quality. I view it in the same way as budget tyres and known brand ones.

One brand which I feel is a little overpriced and trades on the name is Brembo. A couple of months ago I had to complain to ECP and return some Brembo pads for the ATE/BMW style callipers and the three clips would not fit inside the piston rim – changed for Textar which fitted perfectly.

g8jka
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by g8jka » Fri 26 Aug, 2016 20:29

I have eicher discs on mine, no issues with rust and they seem to be fine. I'm pretty sure I also have eicher pads, or at least have had in the past and they were ok although I wish I would have gone for some better ones. Personally I don't think the brakes are brilliant on any zed so go with the best you can afford.
2000 BMW Z3 2.8 Titanium Silver Roadster with too many mods to list :-D :drive
Click For 2.0 Progress Journal
Click For 2.8 Progress Journal

Lewy

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Lewy » Mon 29 Aug, 2016 01:30

Brakeparts.co.uk - just done discs and pads all round on my cayenne for £250 - a lot of the trade go through them

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk