High lift of car

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
mrscalex

Z3 roadster 1.9

High lift of car

Post by mrscalex »

I've been looking at car lift solutions. Permanent 2/4 posters are out of the question. There are some interesting whole vehicle lifts for £400-£600 but ultimately they don't look completely fool-proof and I don't want to spend that much. For that reason the well-engineered and interesting MR1 lift is out of the question at £1,000 and is too bulky.

Carstages see-saw ramps look interesting but the demo I saw literally has the car trigger the see-saw and it looks scary! I guess they're intended primarily for car showrooms where that sort of quick set-up is ideal for their turn-over. There are some alternative versions of the see-saw which like the MR1 you drive onto and then jack up level. They look okay and are possible for around £400. But again, I don't really want to spend that much and they're no good if the car is not running.

In my head I had a cheap (<£200) solid 4-stand corner system in mind and found this in the USA which was exactly what I had in mind:

Unfortunately for what is a very simple construction no one in the UK offers a similar system and this is about $800 for all 4 corners I think. And that's before shipping.

So where I think I'm at is getting 4 of these:

Which are basically the same thing but have the added advantage of being able to drive up the front 2. Well maybe if the height of a Z3 permits but I don't really care as that's not how I'm looking to do it. The rear would obviously still need lifting. And in my case with a seized engine all 4 will need lifting.

Now because the car has to sit on it's wheels when lifted it will have to be jacked a fair way off the ground as the wheels will drop on the suspension. So I'm thinking of getting a high lift jack in conjunction with one of these to keep it more stable as it goes higher.

Once on the ramp, which will be at about 10" off the ground in it's home position, there is a further 10" of lift available meaning the bottom of the tyres will be 20" off the ground. Which I think is a decent height with good stability and at £100 a pair not expensive. A high lift jack and beam would add another £100. So total outlay £300. I don't think a standard lift jack will get it high enough (approx 15" max reach against 20" plus on a high lift).

Does this seem like a sensible solution? Still need to check clearance under the car (not with the car currently) to see if it will all work. And whether I really need the high lift jack. I suspect so and it will probably be a 2 lift solution. Regular jack under rear cross member to create height for high lift jack and beam.

The other system in my head would be for a pair of level extensions for ramps which you just drive along and sit the whole car on. Can I find such a thing - no? It doesn't seem rocket science at all. But then again no good with a seized engine. Here's some home-made ones which show what I mean.

ImageImage
2001 Z3 2.2 Topaz Blue (Trudy) - Keeper rebuilt from a write-off
2002 Z3 2.2 Titan Silver (Cookies) - Keeper rebuilt having been bought with a seized engine
2002 Z3 3.0 Sapphire Black (Peanut) - Keeper awaiting rebuilding having been bought as an abandoned project
Plus Willy, Kodak & Maycee - All 2.2 Sport projects. Yes, 6 is a lot of Z3s :)
Always happy to try and help with spares :)
alec.m

Z3 roadster 2.8

Re: High lift of car

Post by alec.m »

Hi Robert, I like the idea of the ramps. Should be reasonably cheap to makeup and you could choose what height you want them if you do it yourself. As to getting your car with the seized engine on what about this 4 ton ratchet puller on ebay, only £28

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/4-Ton-Heavy-D ... 1699886228
colb

Z3 roadster 1.8 TU

Post by colb »

I like the ramp level extensions, storage is the only problem unless you park the car on them as well.
The ramps with the jacking pad seems the better soloution for storage.

If you have a decent anchor point how about using a 12v winch to get the car up the ramps?
Colb
1999 BMW 1.8 Z3
2003 BMW 2.5 Z4
1998 Honda Deauville NT650V
peter2b

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by peter2b »

have a look on ebay I got a twin arm car lift £350 it did have a 3 phase motor but I got a single to 3 phase box off eBay for another £80 it lifts my z3 and mgb gt up to 6 ft makes all those tricky underneath job a doldle
peter2b
mrscalex

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by mrscalex »

peter2b wrote:have a look on ebay I got a twin arm car lift £350 it did have a 3 phase motor but I got a single to 3 phase box off eBay for another £80 it lifts my z3 and mgb gt up to 6 ft makes all those tricky underneath job a doldle
peter2b
£350 is a good price. I hadn't realised there was a 3>single phase converter. Don't you get concerned about stability when underneath it?

I'm going to look at one of these arrangements next week before I commit to the hydraulic ramp solution. Transport and storage could be a problem though. And yes, I think I can improvise a winch if required.

ImageImage
2002 Z3 2.2 Titan Silver (Cookies) - Keeper rebuilt having been bought with a seized engine
2002 Z3 3.0 Sapphire Black (Peanut) - Keeper awaiting rebuilding having been bought as an abandoned project
handsomejackuk

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by handsomejackuk »

Get your spade out Rob.....

Dig a pit...

hehe...

could always get the kids involved tell them theres some buried treasure under the garage floor....!!!!

or get a local archaelogical group around they give you loads of help...

frindly and helpful as usual Al.... :)
g8jka
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by g8jka »

How about one of these? About £400 if I'm correct
gookah wrote:
BladeRunner919 wrote:Gookah has a good stand
My new rampy thing in action...

can be locked in horizontal and all wheels removed, or tilted for loads of room at ether end. I was sitting down changing my wishbones..

ps I don't have Parkinsons, it's a wobbly joint.... :D
2000 BMW Z3 2.8 Titanium Silver Roadster with too many mods to list :-D :drive
Click For 2.0 Progress Journal
Click For 2.8 Progress Journal
mrscalex

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by mrscalex »

I am interested in one of those g8jka but to be honest they scare the cr*p out of me. But I'm glad you have one and you'll hopefully be able to answer some questions.

What does the jacking plate rest on? The whole length of the sill? Or does it have pads adjusted under the jacking points?
Has it caused any deformation or marking to the sill?
What is the locking/safety system? How many points does it lock on?
Do you really honestly feel 100% safe under it?

Is the wobbly joint on the lift or the drill? Can't see how it's the drill so if it's the lift is that a reflection on build quality?

Thanks.
ImageImage
mrscalex

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by mrscalex »

handsomejackuk wrote:Get your spade out Rob.....

Dig a pit...

hehe...
Funnily enough we grew up in the 1970s in a leafy suburb of London called West Wickham in a road called The Crescent. All the houses had inspection pits in the driveway. Most were filled in but often still obvious where they were. Ours had crazy paving set in. Others had wooden boards. At my Nan's house a couple of miles away they had them in the garages. Both houses were 30s semis. I guess it was maybe the thing to have in the 30s as car buying took off.
ImageImage
g8jka
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by g8jka »

mrscalex wrote:I am interested in one of those g8jka but to be honest they scare the cr*p out of me. But I'm glad you have one and you'll hopefully be able to answer some questions.

What does the jacking plate rest on? The whole length of the sill? Or does it have pads adjusted under the jacking points?

Is the wobbly joint on the lift or the drill? Can't see how it's the drill so if it's the lift is that a reflection on build quality?

Thanks.
Its perfectly safe, we use axle stands underneath as well to be 100% safe. It rests on the majority of the length of the sill and doesn't cause any damage as long as its lined up correctly. It locks with a pin in the arm that adjusts but can be used on a tilt on either end of the car so 2 of the wheels are on the ground. If you have all 4 wheels off the ground then you should also use axle stands. Its a heavy piece of kit and the build quality is great, not sure on the wobbly joint maybe gookah will be along to explain more. You can do it with the rod they supply to wind it up, but its quite hard and takes forever. I'm fairly certain BrianH also has one of these.
2000 BMW Z3 2.8 Titanium Silver Roadster with too many mods to list :-D :drive
Click For 2.0 Progress Journal
Click For 2.8 Progress Journal
peter2b

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by peter2b »

mrscalex wrote:
peter2b wrote:have a look on ebay I got a twin arm car lift £350 it did have a 3 phase motor but I got a single to 3 phase box off eBay for another £80 it lifts my z3 and mgb gt up to 6 ft makes all those tricky underneath job a doldle
peter2b
£350 is a good price. I hadn't realised there was a 3>single phase converter. Don't you get concerned about stability when underneath it?

I'm going to look at one of these arrangements next week before I commit to the hydraulic ramp solution. Transport and storage could be a problem though. And yes, I think I can improvise a winch if required.

have a look on my face book page peter ray shows my mg BGT up on it just had my freelander on it to do some welding on the sills
peter2b
motco

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by motco »

mrscalex

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by mrscalex »

Thanks. Saw that previously. In fact that's what put me on to them. Except I'm going for the bottle jack version at £100 a pair.
ImageImage
BladeRunner919

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by BladeRunner919 »

mrscalex wrote: Thanks. Saw that previously. In fact that's what put me on to them. Except I'm going for the bottle jack version at £100 a pair.
Which ones are you getting? Can you post a link?
peter2b

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by peter2b »

on ebay there is a twin arm car lift £295 2 days left 3 bidders
peter2b
mrscalex

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by mrscalex »

"BladeRunner919"Which ones are you getting? Can you post a link?
There's these at £120:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/401173546357

or these at £106:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Lifting-Car-R ... 1564222380

Oh and these at £130:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Lifting-Car-D ... 1104223606
ImageImage
mrscalex

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by mrscalex »

peter2b wrote:on ebay there is a twin arm car lift £295 2 days left 3 bidders
peter2b
Can't see one at £295. This one?:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-Post-Ramp-L ... 2097088410

or this one?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Tecalemit-2-P ... 1747366960

Do they not need bolting into the ground?
ImageImage
gookah
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by gookah »

mrscalex wrote:I am interested in one of those g8jka but to be honest they scare the cr*p out of me. But I'm glad you have one and you'll hopefully be able to answer some questions.

Thanks.

Its perfectly safe and very good quality, you have to just try and lift one to see the build quality and strength.
It came with extra height axle stands, but I have sat underneath pulling hard on exhausts before and fully trust it. You can take all wheels off or rest it on front or back wheels, allowing more height than you could need. The ramp has rubber pads along the whole length of the sill and doesn't cause any damage unlike a trolley jack or axle stands can, doesnt even scratch them.
Ramps are great until you need to take the wheels off.

The wobbly joint is the hex key that fits in the drill. I feel 100% safe but If its not for you, Mrs calex, then its not for you.

Z3 2.8 Progress Journal (Mine)
Z3 1.9 Sport Progress Journal (Wifey's)

I have an element of 'M-styling' on my car, If that's a good enough reason for the manufacturers to adorn a 320 with the M badge, then its certainly a good enough reason for me..
Bonzo

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Bonzo »

g8jka wrote:

Thanks.
Its perfectly safe, we use axle stands underneath as well to be 100% safe. It rests on the majority of the length of the sill and doesn't cause any damage as long as its lined up correctly. It locks with a pin in the arm that adjusts but can be used on a tilt on either end of the car so 2 of the wheels are on the ground. If you have all 4 wheels off the ground then you should also use axle stands. Its a heavy piece of kit and the build quality is great, not sure on the wobbly joint maybe gookah will be along to explain more. You can do it with the rod they supply to wind it up, but its quite hard and takes forever. I'm fairly certain BrianH also has one of these.
I have one of these too! It's a sturdy piece of kit, and is VERY heavy for an old geezer like me! It certainly does the job but it's sure tough cranking it by hand. Also you might need some low ramps to drive onto first to give clearance to slide it under your Z3, I did as it hit my Strong Strut Body braces. Next time I use mine I'll ask Mrs. Bonzo to give me a hand! :lol: .......... On second thoughts, perhaps not! :shock:
:cheers
Bonzo.
Z3lda (Zelda), 1998 2.8, Montreal Blue, Beige Oregon leather interior and M steering wheel, Sports Seats, Wood trim, Chrome Line Interior, Centre armrest with Cupholder, Alpina Softline wheels, Chromed Angel Eyes, De- tango'd, Rear stone guards, Sport aerial, ASC front strut brace, Strong Strut Butt Strut and Body Brace, Uprated brake fluid, Yellowstuff pads 78k.
peter2b

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by peter2b »

mrscalex wrote:
peter2b

or this one?

that was 1 but there was a yellow one
peter2b
peter2b

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by peter2b »

just done anot her check for a twin arm car lift found 5 all under £500 there is also a 4 arm lift going cheep
peter2b
Bonzo

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Bonzo »

peter2b wrote:
mrscalex wrote:
peter2b

or this one?

that was 1 but there was a yellow one
peter2b
How many folks have a 3 phase supply in their garage?
Z3lda (Zelda), 1998 2.8, Montreal Blue, Beige Oregon leather interior and M steering wheel, Sports Seats, Wood trim, Chrome Line Interior, Centre armrest with Cupholder, Alpina Softline wheels, Chromed Angel Eyes, De- tango'd, Rear stone guards, Sport aerial, ASC front strut brace, Strong Strut Butt Strut and Body Brace, Uprated brake fluid, Yellowstuff pads 78k.
Brian H

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Brian H »

Bonzo wrote:How many folks have a 3 phase supply in their garage?
You can get a single phase to 3 phase convertor.

peter2b

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by peter2b »

Brian H wrote:
Bonzo wrote:How many folks have a 3 phase supply in their garage?
You can get a single phase to 3 phase convertor.

I've got some thing like that for my lift just plugs into a normal 240v socket
peter2b
mrscalex

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by mrscalex »

Brian H wrote:Image
I might be mis-understanding this thing but the terminal connections look potentially lethal. Exposed screw terminals and an arrangement that requires removal of the cable outer exposing flimsy inner cores.

In fact it looks like a low voltage cable (still not a clever arrangement). Is that what the thing is outputting? Would be interested in an explanation of what we're actually looking at as I like my electrics :)
ImageImage
BladeRunner919

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by BladeRunner919 »

I Imagine the box on the left is just a remote controller controller and all the mains electrics happens inside the box on the right. If all you need is a low voltage feed to indicate that a switch has been pressed or a knob turned then all you need is very thin cable, or even an infra-red or wireless signal.
Bonzo

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Bonzo »

Surely a 3 phase supply is used because the motor starting and/or operating current of whatever is being driven would be too high for a normal single phase cable, connections and outlet? Sharing the load 3 ways? How is the 3 phase converter connected?

Bonzo.
peter2b

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by peter2b »

it's one of those black box tings spooky things happen in it but it works :)
peter2b
NZ00Z3

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by NZ00Z3 »

Hi

Modern electric motor variable speed drive technology reduces the start up current issue. Have not done the research on this particular box of electrickery but I suspect it is a single to three phase converter with a varible speed function
therealdb1

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by therealdb1 »

Without researching the actual model of the cream coloured box the wires that you can see will almost certainly be zero volt contacts for the switches on the remote with an analogue input, 4 to 20 mA I imagine, for the speed control. All perfectly safe although the manufacturer is probably expecting you to put the whole thing inside an IP rated cabinet to give the electronics protection from the ambient conditions. The heavy duty wiring, 240 volt single phase mains input and 415 volt three phase output, are not shown in this photo and shall need to be protected from prying fingers and dropped spanners so mounting in an enclosure is the way to go.
You have to remember that these things are not intended for the domestic market and therefore take a little more specialist installation than merely plugging them into a 13A mains socket on the wall. That said since the price has tumbled with Chinese etc. mass production they are jolly useful for those of us who wish to buy second hand machine tools and garage equipment fitted with three phase motors without the hassle of finding a suitable replacement single phase motor.
As for connections of three phase motors it is no more complex than single phase it just involves an extra wire or two depending if you wish to run the motor in "star" or "delta" configuration. Most modern electronic drives would use delta since they have clever electronics to cope with motor start-up so you simply need three wires, plus an earth, to the motor. Presumably if you buy one of these units it will be supplied with some kind of connection diagram and an explanation in pigeon English!