Idle speed......

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
swabyk

Z3 roadster 1.9

Idle speed......

Post by swabyk »

Guys,
Although I think the rev counter sits where it should i sometimes feel the car sounds as though it could do with running slightly quicker in terms of idle. Its not much but i get the feeling when pulling away slowly sometimes that the revs arent quite there.

2 questions, does the rev counter look in the right place compared to yours? (mine is a 1999 1.9) and 2) is there an easy way to increase idle?

Thanks guys
Ken

colb

Z3 roadster 1.8 TU

Re: Idle speed......

Post by colb »

You can check the rev counter is accurate by doing the instrument test function and observing a digital readout of the revs.
Have a look at this link to see how to put the instruments into test mode.
viewtopic.php?t=20201

If you want to increase the idle speed use the adjustment on the cable at the throttle body until you arrive at the desired idle speed you want.

My 1.9 sits about where yours is around 800 - 850rpm
Colb
1999 BMW 1.8 Z3
2003 BMW 2.5 Z4
1998 Honda Deauville NT650V
swabyk

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by swabyk »

Thanks, I must admit I thought it looked ok at around 800-850ish, will tinker and see where i get. Thanks for your help.
peter2b

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by peter2b »

that's about were my 2.2 sits
peter2b
Bonzo

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Bonzo »

And my 2.8!
Z3lda (Zelda), 1998 2.8, Montreal Blue, Beige Oregon leather interior and M steering wheel, Sports Seats, Wood trim, Chrome Line Interior, Centre armrest with Cupholder, Alpina Softline wheels, Chromed Angel Eyes, De- tango'd, Rear stone guards, Sport aerial, ASC front strut brace, Strong Strut Butt Strut and Body Brace, Uprated brake fluid, Yellowstuff pads 78k.
swabyk

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by swabyk »

Thanks guys
handsomejackuk

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by handsomejackuk »

yeah mine is the same, when i initially stop it settles at about 1000rpm, then after a few seconds when the car is stationary it drops to the same as yours, its as though it senses road speed and keeps the idle up when coasting say to a stop.... as for idle adjustment, there is a lock screw under the plastic cover on top of the throttle body, follow the throttle cable where it enters the throttle body, remove the single straight bolt on the plastic part on top and you will see it... i have never altered mine, it is painted with red paint i seem to remember, anyone else care to comment on this method of adjusting idle...?

I did on one occasion on a real hot day almost stall, i think due to my idle being to low,

another thing i did also was remove the throttle body and give the butterfly valves a real good clean as they felt a bit sticky,made a big difference in throttle feel, and throttle response, usually a build up of carbon on the inner side... also remove the idle control valve and clean its port at the same time, if you remove the TPS sensor mark its position and put it back in the same position.

just above the spring on the left is a throttle stop screw i think this can be turned to raise idle anyone care to comment on this...?

hope this helps.
Bonzo

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Bonzo »

Bonzo wrote:And my 2.8!
Oops, got that wrong, my idle speed is 600 r.p.m. seems fine to me! :shrug

:cheers

Bonzo.
Z3lda (Zelda), 1998 2.8, Montreal Blue, Beige Oregon leather interior and M steering wheel, Sports Seats, Wood trim, Chrome Line Interior, Centre armrest with Cupholder, Alpina Softline wheels, Chromed Angel Eyes, De- tango'd, Rear stone guards, Sport aerial, ASC front strut brace, Strong Strut Butt Strut and Body Brace, Uprated brake fluid, Yellowstuff pads 78k.
swabyk

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by swabyk »

Had the car services today and now ive got it back the car is idling lower than before, around 600 and it now definitely sounds like it needs increasing, is there an easy way to do this? i.e a screw head or some such thing that allows me to increase it a bit myself?
colb

Z3 roadster 1.8 TU

Post by colb »

Look at the throttle cable at the connection on the throttle body, adjust the cable by adjusting the cable guide it passes through turning it out will pull the cable tighter and adjust the tic over speed. It locks in place with a lock nut, you have to loosen the nut to screw the adjuster guide in or out. Tighten it back up when desired revs are obtained and steady.
You will need to remove the plastic cover on top of the throttle body to get at it, just one screw on its top.

You need to do the adjustment with the engine up to running temp.
Colb
1999 BMW 1.8 Z3
2003 BMW 2.5 Z4
1998 Honda Deauville NT650V
Rafolian

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Rafolian »

Have had my '98 single vanos 2.8 for over 4 years now, and has always idled at 600 rpm, sweet as a nut.
DC

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by DC »

1.9 M44 engine is known for having a somewhat lumpy idle.
My experience has been that using best quality petrol, Fuchs TITAN GT1 XTL 5W-40 fully synthetic and a yearly dose of Redex fuel system cleaner seems to keep the tickover sweet.
Strangely, the change to the above oil made a very noticeable difference.
Also I once had an "up and down" tickover when I neglected to push the dipstick fully home!
Dave.
Dave. 1998 Arctic Silver Z3 M44 1.9 Automatic