Magnetic sump plug

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
mrscalex

Z3 roadster 1.9

Magnetic sump plug

Post by mrscalex »

Has anyone tried one of these? They are supposed to pick up any swarf the oil filter misses.

http://www.eurocarparts.com/sump-pans-and-sump-plug

Do they work or are they just a gimmick?
ImageImage
2001 Z3 2.2 Topaz Blue (Trudy) - Keeper rebuilt from a write-off
2002 Z3 2.2 Titan Silver (Cookies) - Keeper rebuilt having been bought with a seized engine
2002 Z3 3.0 Sapphire Black (Peanut) - Keeper awaiting rebuilding having been bought as an abandoned project
Plus Willy, Kodak & Maycee - All 2.2 Sport projects. Yes, 6 is a lot of Z3s :)
Always happy to try and help with spares :)
Del

Z3 roadster 1.9

Re: Magnetic sump plug

Post by Del »

First came across these in the 1970s when I first started “playing” with cars. My understanding was that the idea came from old school aircraft engines. I haven’t come across them being used for decades and I haven’t been tempted myself – preferring regular engine oil and filter changes. Any visible “swarf” in the engine is probably terminal anyway.
mrscalex

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by mrscalex »

Del wrote:First came across these in the 1970s when I first started “playing” with cars. My understanding was that the idea came from old school aircraft engines. I haven’t come across them being used for decades and I haven’t been tempted myself – preferring regular engine oil and filter changes. Any visible “swarf” in the engine is probably terminal anyway.
I'm inclined to agree. I figured the fact I'd never heard of them before on here probably mean they weren't much cop.
ImageImage
2001 Z3 2.2 Topaz Blue (Trudy) - Keeper rebuilt from a write-off
2002 Z3 2.2 Titan Silver (Cookies) - Keeper rebuilt having been bought with a seized engine
2002 Z3 3.0 Sapphire Black (Peanut) - Keeper awaiting rebuilding having been bought as an abandoned project
Plus Willy, Kodak & Maycee - All 2.2 Sport projects. Yes, 6 is a lot of Z3s :)
Always happy to try and help with spares :)
peter2b

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by peter2b »

I use to put one in my old mini drain plug ,some times the swarf is too small to see in the filter, if I saw a beard on the plug I knew it was time to strip the engine down
peter2b
Devon Z
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by Devon Z »

Put one on mine at the last oil change, can't do any harm I've fitted them to the engine and transmission of my tuned scooter.
99 2.0 Topaz Individual
Fender2004

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Fender2004 »

I fitted one too it does give you an idea as to what state your engine is in.