Seat belt pre-tensioner plug

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
Z3 Magic

Z3 roadster 1.9

Seat belt pre-tensioner plug

Post by Z3 Magic »

Hello all,
I am new to this site, as I have only had my 1998 Z3 1895cc for a couple of weeks.
I have searched the forum for answers to the SRS red light on the dash and have taken the car to a mechanic to get it diagnosed. Since reading the forum I have bought an SRS diagnostic tool and it's on the way...I was told by the mechanic it was 'Fault 6.'
The previous owner has put in new seats, so I am thinking the seat belt pre-tensioner plug is not talking to the on-board computer. After having a look at them, I see they are both cable-tied on (!).
What is the best way to go about getting this light to disappear?
I have uploaded a photo to Photobucket, so you can see what I am saying: http://s1210.photobucket.com/user/Raggi ... o.jpg.html
Any help welcome, Thanks.
Nat
Brian H

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Re: Seat belt pre-tensioner plug

Post by Brian H »

Hi Nat,

This is perfectly normal and how it came out of the factory, if the previous owner switched on the ignition whilst changing over the seats then the fault light will illuminate until reset, you will need to use the 20 pin connector under the bonnet to check and reset this fault, if the fault does not disappear a warning code and description should show.

Cheers

Brian
Z3 Magic

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Z3 Magic »

Hi Brian,

Thanks a lot for the information. I bought a code re-setter from Ebay for just £15-this worked and I was over the moon....For over a month....However, my battery completely died overnight a few days ago and when removing and charging the battery to pop back in, the light came back on :( I tried the same re-setting tool, which again read List 02, Fault 06 (the same passenger side pre-tensioner)...When I press to reset, the light goes off on the dash for about 2 seconds, but then comes on again and stays on...AArrgghh!

I was wondering if I need another resetting tool or is there something I am missing here?

Any help welcome.
Thanks,
Nat
BladeRunner919

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by BladeRunner919 »

Z3 Magic wrote:
I was wondering if I need another resetting tool or is there something I am missing here?
Yes - you need to fix the problem that is causing the light to come on!
Z3 Magic

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Z3 Magic »

I realise I need to fix the problem which is making the light come on, but I have no idea how....I also have no idea why it has come back on and now stays on even after using the reset tool - with this only happening again after the battery died.
To me it sounds like an electrical problem...
Really don't want to spend a fortune on a garage to fix this....
colb

Z3 roadster 1.8 TU

Post by colb »

I believe Code 6 points to the pre tensioner as in your photo.
Suggest you check the condition of the loom under the seat area for damage and clean the connections where it plugs in, disconnect the battery when you carry out the checks and cleaning of connections.Repair any damage to the loom if found. Refit it using a new cable tie then reconnect battery and see what the warning light is doing. Use a code reader to reset and see if that turns the light off. If it does then try it out by driving and also move the seat back and forwards to see if it triggers the light again.
If all this fails then next step would be to replace the tensioner with a known good used part.
Colb
1999 BMW 1.8 Z3
2003 BMW 2.5 Z4
1998 Honda Deauville NT650V
Z3 Magic

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Z3 Magic »

Thanks a lot Colb....What you say makes sense.
I will take off the plug cap,which is the black cable tied one in the image provided....I am not sure what you mean by 'loom' (I thought that is for weaving yarn & making fabric ;).
Fingers crossed this is all it is.
Thanks for your time Colb, I will post once I have given it a go.
colb

Z3 roadster 1.8 TU

Post by colb »

Loom = The actual cable run from the plug back to where it joins into the main wiring loom, just check for any damage where it may have been crushed or cut by the seat being moved and it was in the way.
Colb
1999 BMW 1.8 Z3
2003 BMW 2.5 Z4
Z3 Magic

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Z3 Magic »

Gottcha ;)

(I see you're Welsh-me too, just watched them beat the South Africans!)
Z3 Magic

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Z3 Magic »

Colb-You, sir, are a star!!!!
I checked the looms and just a slight bit of play in them...so fixed that and Bob's yer uncle, light now gone.
Knew it had to be something straight forward.
Thanks a lot mate and happy motoring...I am now off to the seaside (in the rain).
Cheers,
Nat
colb

Z3 roadster 1.8 TU

Post by colb »

Glad you sorted it, most likely loose or duff connection, its quite common for the light to get triggered with movement of the cables or plugs under the seat, its not just a BMW thing, happens on other makes as well. Lets hope it stays out now.
Colb
1999 BMW 1.8 Z3
2003 BMW 2.5 Z4