fog light needed

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
peter2b

Z3 roadster 2.2i

fog light needed

Post by peter2b »

last year a pheasant decided to hit my off side fog light and won /lost he knocked it off breaking the tabs the hold it in , I did stick them back on and have lasted untill now, does any one have an off side fog light for a face lift z3? I also need the small bits that fit next to the lights
Peter2 b
mrscalex

Z3 roadster 1.9

Re: fog light needed

Post by mrscalex »

If you PM me I'm sure I can sort one out for you.
ImageImage
2001 Z3 2.2 Topaz Blue (Trudy) - Keeper rebuilt from a write-off
2002 Z3 2.2 Titan Silver (Cookies) - Keeper rebuilt having been bought with a seized engine
2002 Z3 3.0 Sapphire Black (Peanut) - Keeper awaiting rebuilding having been bought as an abandoned project
Plus Willy, Kodak & Maycee - All 2.2 Sport projects. Yes, 6 is a lot of Z3s :)
Always happy to try and help with spares :)
lightning

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by lightning »

Can't you get it from BMW?

Their prices are not that high.
mrscalex

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by mrscalex »

Dealer I would think around the £100 mark.

Ebay new (genuine but double-check fitment and there is a plain or ribbed type) £60 ish

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GENUINE-BMW-E ... 0782345084

Secondhand about £20. I can do mine for that with postage.
ImageImage
2002 Z3 2.2 Titan Silver (Cookies) - Keeper rebuilt having been bought with a seized engine
2002 Z3 3.0 Sapphire Black (Peanut) - Keeper awaiting rebuilding having been bought as an abandoned project
Boosh

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by Boosh »

I remember getting an 'eBay special' from Taiwan or Singapore. If I remember correctly, it was around the £20-£25 mark for the pair, not including fixings or shortened blanking plates, which I had to source separately. Dealer wanted £150 per side, and half a day for fitting! Took me 30-45mn, as wiring loom is already factory-fitted, but hidden away. One light just needed a bit of de-burring on the connection with loom. Apart from that, perfect bargain. Passed the mot with no bother at all.

Boosh.
mrscalex

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by mrscalex »

Sounds a good option. What a mickey take on the fitting though. Probably one of the simplest jobs you can do. It should be a 15 min job for a professional and 30-45 mins as you say for the rest of us.

Personally I'd rather have a second-hand genuine part but that's just me as I like to 'keep it factory'.
ImageImage
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

"Normal is overrated"

Z3 Upgrades and Additions
peter2b

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by peter2b »

Will the fit a z3?
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

Yep - well that's what the listing says... :wink:
"Normal is overrated"

Boosh

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by Boosh »

Yep. Them's mine! I agree with Mrscalex, but even good second-hand OE ones are dearer than those. And you wouldn't know these aren't by looking at them. Where I got bit, though, is that I bought from the dealer what I thought were special fittings for the fog lights, and paid through the nose for stupid little brass screw-through clips, available anywhere.

Boosh.
mrscalex

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by mrscalex »

Boosh wrote:Yep. Them's mine! I agree with Mrscalex, but even good second-hand OE ones are dearer than those. And you wouldn't know these aren't by looking at them. Where I got bit, though, is that I bought from the dealer what I thought were special fittings for the fog lights, and paid through the nose for stupid little brass screw-through clips, available anywhere.

Boosh.
They are called u-clips (sometimes speed clips) and crop up all over the car. They come in a lot of different sizes though and it's important to get the right (sort of) size, particularly the depth they spread. Otherwise you can damage the plastic they clip onto if they won't spread as they are very tough pieces of metal to flex.

A few months back I obsessively studied them where they are used for the wheel arch liners. To be fair I ended up buying quite a lot of different ones from ebay, Halfords and local motor factor before I found something which was close enough. As with all BMW small fittings it's hit and miss if they are cheaper or close enough at the dealer. In my case for the effort involved they were close enough in price I should have just bought from the dealer.
ImageImage
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

If you do go for the Chinese fogs, bear in mind the lens is plastic vs glass on the OEM fittings, and as we all know, the "sandblasting" effects on the front spoiler will also dull the plastic lens fairly easily. Perhaps at the price, one should order 2 sets, save on the postage / per set, and keep the 2nd set as a spare for the future ??
"Normal is overrated"

Alan W

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Alan W »

As a point of interest the Z3 foglights are identical to those fitted to the 5 series of the era.. they even have the same part no.. there are always plenty of secondhand ones coming up on ebay at all sorts of prices.. try searching for bmw 5 series for light and see if any come up.. s
1999 facelit Z3 Roadster 2.8 Auto in Cosmos Black aka 'Gloria'
peter2b

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by peter2b »

mrscalex wrote:If you PM me I'm sure I can sort one out for you.
arrived today and fitted bit cleaner than thoe old one thanks once again
peter