HELP FIX A STUPID MISTAKE

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
swabyk

Z3 roadster 1.9

HELP FIX A STUPID MISTAKE

Post by swabyk »

Left my car outside with the roof down during Thursday nights thunderstorm!!!! Yep, I know, fu**ing idiot! The first time i forgot to put it up and lock the car up before going to bed and it had to be the night we had a thunderstorm of epic proportions!

Oh well, on with sorting it. Removed some water from it using a mop and sponge, then used a wet-vac i have but the carpets under the seats are a little wet so am going to take the seats out tomorrow and start wet-vacing again.

The question I have is; a) are there drain plugs under the cabin floor that might help if i remove them and b) anyone recommend any way to try to dry this out as best as possible without the threat of mould and damp smells starting to arrive in days/weeks to come?

Thanks
Ken
Last edited by swabyk on Sat 17 Sep, 2016 19:48, edited 1 time in total.
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Re: HELP FIX A STUPID MISTAKE

Post by Robert T »

There are several inches of sound-deadening foam under the carpet that you are going to need to dry out as well.

When removing the seats it is sensible to disconnect the battery so as to avoid the dreaded airbag light. It saves you from accidentally turning the ignition on.

Cheers R.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
Arctic Silver '99 Z3 1.9 & Black '59 Frogeye 1275cc
mrscalex

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by mrscalex »

Yes, I've believe there's a very simple way.

Buy yourself a de-humidifier. I have one of these and I am confident it will do a job:

http://www.ecoair.org/DD122FW-MK5-Classic.html

They are about £125-£150. You will find other uses for it (like drying laundry) so it's a good investment.

Am I 100% sure before you spend money like that? Well I'll say 95% sure in case I end up with egg on my face. But I have used it for similar mop ups with great success. And wouldn't you rather spend £150 with a high likelihood of success than have to pull the carpet up? The main use for mine is keeping the damp out of a double garage and it is 100% for that.

Where you bring the cable into the cabin and have a small gap where you have to slip the window down a little, pack it with a towel to make it more air tight.
ImageImage
2001 Z3 2.2 Topaz Blue (Trudy) - Keeper rebuilt from a write-off
2002 Z3 2.2 Titan Silver (Cookies) - Keeper rebuilt having been bought with a seized engine
2002 Z3 3.0 Sapphire Black (Peanut) - Keeper awaiting rebuilding having been bought as an abandoned project
Plus Willy, Kodak & Maycee - All 2.2 Sport projects. Yes, 6 is a lot of Z3s :)
Always happy to try and help with spares :)
swabyk

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by swabyk »

Thanks guys. Spent the last hour or two in the garage and took the seats out, lifted the carpet from the centre sections and peeled them back and its actually not too bad, the sponge isnt wet so it looks like I got the car in just in time when i awoke in the night to the thunderstorm. Have used the wet-vac underneath and its all ok. Have left the carpet up with the help of some props and have a humidifier and fan in there for the night. Cheers
mrscalex

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by mrscalex »

It's also easy enough taking off the door sill trims and pulling the carpet back there.
ImageImage
2001 Z3 2.2 Topaz Blue (Trudy) - Keeper rebuilt from a write-off
2002 Z3 2.2 Titan Silver (Cookies) - Keeper rebuilt having been bought with a seized engine
2002 Z3 3.0 Sapphire Black (Peanut) - Keeper awaiting rebuilding having been bought as an abandoned project
Plus Willy, Kodak & Maycee - All 2.2 Sport projects. Yes, 6 is a lot of Z3s :)
Always happy to try and help with spares :)
swabyk

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by swabyk »

Yep, exactly what I did, all dry now and no damage, phewwwww!! thanks for taking the time mate.
lightning

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by lightning »

I would hope that the designers of convertible cars make them able to survive a soaking. As chances are it will one day happen.
As in the console switches and under floor wiring etc.
nang

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by nang »

Thank God you don't drive a submarine :roflmao:
Tony.