Anyone know how to remove this piece of trim?

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
swabyk

Z3 roadster 1.9

Anyone know how to remove this piece of trim?

Post by swabyk »

Need to get to the roof switch below.... :head: :head: :head: :head:

BeemerBoyo

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Re: Anyone know how to remove this piece of trim?

Post by BeemerBoyo »

What roof switch??

What's your problem? Did not think there is a switch down there............................ :shock:

is your power roof not working?
2002 E37 BMW Z3 2.2 Sport
2008 E93 BMW 3 series 325i m sport convertible

Previous BMW cars

2007 E87 BMW 1 series 120D
2013 F21 BMW 1 series 120D
swabyk

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by swabyk »

Yes, theres a roof switch under there as described in the pics here;

http://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/showt ... cro-Switch

I need to get to it to test the power and try to determine where mine is breaking down........Just cant seem to work out how this piece of rubber trim comes off.
siwilson

M roadster S54

Post by siwilson »

Wiggle and pull. There are no fixings to it. Just a tight fit.
2001 M roadster S54 Laguna Seca Blue
bentley-boy

blank

Post by bentley-boy »

No roof switch under that trim, just an electrical connector block. To remove the trim, peel back the rubber boot that sits at the top of the door rubber seal just by the stud that the tonneau clips on. Under that rubber boot you will see a bolt, that bolt passes through into the trim you are wanting to remove, just partially unscrew it (no need to remove it fully) then wiggle the trim up and out - it will be tight but will come. The trim will actually break into two pieces if you are rough with it.
The switch actually sits in the roof frame on the nearside, follow the black braided wire and it will take you to it, if you have a facelift model with a headliner it will be a little more difficult to spot.
gookah
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by gookah »

roof micro switch is on the first hinge point back from the windscreen, on the passenger side of the car.
All that is under that cover is the connector

Z3 2.8 Progress Journal (Mine)
Z3 1.9 Sport Progress Journal (Wifey's)

I have an element of 'M-styling' on my car, If that's a good enough reason for the manufacturers to adorn a 320 with the M badge, then its certainly a good enough reason for me..
swabyk

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by swabyk »

Yes, sorry guys, probably didnt explain it very well. The roof just stopped working so before I buy a new switch/cable replacement i am just working backwards to try and determine it is that part at fault and not something else, although less likely, pump or actual dash switch etc.....by testing this connector under the trim i might be able to actuate the roof again which would tell me that its an issue towards the cabin somewhere, if it doesnt work im guessing it could be a pump/motor issue?
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robert T »

It should just be a snug fit, but I destroyed the one on whiteminks' car trying to get it out. It completely fills the void at the side of the trim and will need to compressed a bit to get it out.

On cars with hardtop brackets fitted, the connector clips to the bracket and is very much easier to get at. This is why it is my first port of call as it is an easy place to break the circuit and bridge the pins so simulate a closed microswitch.

If the trim proves too difficult to get out, you could do the same job by removing the microswitch from the hood frame and shorting the pins on it with a piece of wire. This will eliminate the microswitch, but unlike bridging the pins at the connector, it will not remove the potentially broken wire from the equation.

Cheers R.
Arctic Silver '99 Z3 1.9 & Black '59 Frogeye 1275cc
swabyk

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by swabyk »

I thought of that but the microswitch in the roof section is a sealed unit so not sure how i could short the pins at all?? (is there a way?)

PS, Really appreciate the time taken to assist, thanks
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robert T »

There looks to be a small gap in the insulation, but if not, a tiny cut would expose the copper core to short the wires at the microswitch. See photos here: viewtopic.php?t=34454

Cheers R.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
Arctic Silver '99 Z3 1.9 & Black '59 Frogeye 1275cc