Caliper Bolts

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
4wheels

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Caliper Bolts

Post by 4wheels »

Changed the front discs and pads to get rid of a horrible "oh sh** im not going to stop feeling"
turns out only one of the pads was moving in the caliper and the other was just bending and hardly touching the disc!
anyway, the Pagid pads seem fine and can cram them on nicely.

but.....
one of the caliper bolts that holds the caliper to the hub turned into a rounded off bolt which means, its not really very tight at the moment.
so... is there somewhere on the net that sells bmw parts? theres a couple of audi ones for my other car but not come across one for the BMW.
ebay dont seem to have any which is a bit odd too!
mrscalex

Z3 roadster 1.9

Re: Caliper Bolts

Post by mrscalex »

I'd probably just get it from a BMW dealer. If it's the caliper to carrier bolt it should be 2 or 3 quid although I think someone on here recently got quoted £6 from his local dealer. If it's the slider bolt with the hex head more like £15-£20.
ImageImage
2001 Z3 2.2 Topaz Blue (Trudy) - Keeper rebuilt from a write-off
2002 Z3 2.2 Titan Silver (Cookies) - Keeper rebuilt having been bought with a seized engine
2002 Z3 3.0 Sapphire Black (Peanut) - Keeper awaiting rebuilding having been bought as an abandoned project
Plus Willy, Kodak & Maycee - All 2.2 Sport projects. Yes, 6 is a lot of Z3s :)
Always happy to try and help with spares :)
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robert T »

There are a couple of BMW dealers that sell online. Coopers is one of them. However if you order it from the parts desk of your local dealer, you won't have to pay postage. Just depends how far it is to your nearest dealer.

Cheers R.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
Arctic Silver '99 Z3 1.9 & Black '59 Frogeye 1275cc
Del

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Del »

mrscalex

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by mrscalex »

If you'e going to get into Z3s to any sort of degree beyond just driving them then finding a reliable & co-operative BMW dealer is in my view pretty much a necessity.

I know many people's perception is that BMW is expensive and to be avoided but that's not the case for many parts. You also get the benefit of the BMW quality. For example there are many 3rd party trim clips and other small parts etc on ebay. Not only is the quality not as good (in some, not all) instances but they can be more expensive too. For example a washer jet valve is about £4 at a dealer. I've seen them on ebay for £15.

I'd want a proper BMW bolt on any Z3 caliper especially a 3 litre :) And yes, I know at the end of the day it's just a bolt but BMW have done their homework to make sure it's fit for purpose.

If you need to do mail order though then there is also http://www.bmminiparts.com/. But note the advisory on their web site that BMW are stopping resellers. So in due course unless you buy from BMW it will be old stock or 3rd party.

You'll also find some BMW dealers that are happy to do mail order if you call them up. My local is Trainer in Swansea. They are cheaper than most, reliable and I know they will do mail order.
ImageImage
2001 Z3 2.2 Topaz Blue (Trudy) - Keeper rebuilt from a write-off
2002 Z3 2.2 Titan Silver (Cookies) - Keeper rebuilt having been bought with a seized engine
2002 Z3 3.0 Sapphire Black (Peanut) - Keeper awaiting rebuilding having been bought as an abandoned project
Plus Willy, Kodak & Maycee - All 2.2 Sport projects. Yes, 6 is a lot of Z3s :)
Always happy to try and help with spares :)
motco

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by motco »

Soper's of Lincoln will give you great price and quick service.
Brian4

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Brian4 »

4wheels wrote:Changed the front discs and pads to get rid of a horrible "oh sh** im not going to stop feeling"
turns out only one of the pads was moving in the caliper and the other was just bending and hardly touching the disc!
anyway, the Pagid pads seem fine and can cram them on nicely.

but.....
one of the caliper bolts that holds the caliper to the hub turned into a rounded off bolt which means, its not really very tight at the moment.
so... is there somewhere on the net that sells bmw parts? theres a couple of audi ones for my other car but not come across one for the BMW.
ebay dont seem to have any which is a bit odd too!

These are the bolts you are after part 3 in diagram.
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/showpar ... Id=34_0369
Brian
3.0I Topaz Blue

2000 E36/7 Z3 3.0i
2016 F31 335d
2015 F21 118i
bertiejaffa

M roadster S50

Post by bertiejaffa »

for bolts etc ebay is fine.... theres a couple of good people.

I also use BIGGRED - just google, they are great. Remember to bed your pads in properly - PM me if needed
Here come the girls.....
My //M Refurb
My First Zed Journal
pingu

M roadster S50

Post by pingu »

bertiejaffa wrote:for bolts etc ebay is fine.... theres a couple of good people.

I also use BIGGRED - just google, they are great. Remember to bed your pads in properly - PM me if needed
Some bolts are very important. I wouldn't use eBay for wheel bolts or brake caliper bolts unless you can 100% trust the source and they are OEM.
Pingu