Which 2.8?

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
tiggercoco

Z3 roadster 2.8

Which 2.8?

Post by tiggercoco »

Hi am looking to buy a 2.8 pre-facelift as I love the M type widebody.

Am I correct in thinking some engines have a single vanos and some double?...does it make any difference which one you get as to tuning possibilities to get it up on a par with the 3.0?....or are they both equal?...

Thanks
alec.m

Z3 roadster 2.8

Re: Which 2.8?

Post by alec.m »

You are correct. The single vanos is easier to convert to the 2.5 inlet manifold with the bored out throttle body, a mod which reputedly brings it up to 3.0 performance. It is possible to do the same to a twin vanos but there`s only one I know of been documented. There are issues doing it to a twin vanos but I don`t know what they are. Try a search on here or google.I`m sure there`s some youtube vids on this subject too.
gookah
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by gookah »

i have done my twin vanos 2.8. no issues

Z3 2.8 Progress Journal (Mine)
Z3 1.9 Sport Progress Journal (Wifey's)

I have an element of 'M-styling' on my car, If that's a good enough reason for the manufacturers to adorn a 320 with the M badge, then its certainly a good enough reason for me..
lightning

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by lightning »

I had a single VANOS 2.8 before my 3.0 and never felt it wanting for power in standard form. I didn't really feel the need to modify the engine. It pulled like a train from about 1500 rpm and would wipe the floor with my friend's newer MX5.
Bonzo

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Bonzo »

I've heard these modifications improve top end power, but move the maximum torque higher up the rev band. ! love my low down torque, it surprises many when accelerating away in top when they think it's in third! It still has good grunt up to around 5800 r.p.m. and a change up into the next gear.

:cheers

Bonzo. (single vanos)
Z3lda (Zelda), 1998 2.8, Montreal Blue, Beige Oregon leather interior and M steering wheel, Sports Seats, Wood trim, Chrome Line Interior, Centre armrest with Cupholder, Alpina Softline wheels, Chromed Angel Eyes, De- tango'd, Rear stone guards, Sport aerial, ASC front strut brace, Strong Strut Butt Strut and Body Brace, Uprated brake fluid, Yellowstuff pads 78k.
Rafolian

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Rafolian »

Never driven a standard 2.8, but my single vanos had the mod done before I bought the car and the low down torque is fantastic. It will pull in third from 800 rpm sweet as a nut, then will scream up to the redline if required no problem.
Bonzo

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Bonzo »

Around 5800 is enough really I think to get into the peak torque revs for the next upshift. I don't hammer it that much very often, sometimes, when opportunities arise I like to drive swiftly but smoothly, :drive which you can do without approaching the red line.

Bonzo.
Z3lda (Zelda), 1998 2.8, Montreal Blue, Beige Oregon leather interior and M steering wheel, Sports Seats, Wood trim, Chrome Line Interior, Centre armrest with Cupholder, Alpina Softline wheels, Chromed Angel Eyes, De- tango'd, Rear stone guards, Sport aerial, ASC front strut brace, Strong Strut Butt Strut and Body Brace, Uprated brake fluid, Yellowstuff pads 78k.
gookah
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by gookah »

It knocked 1/2 second off my time at SantaPod... :-) and 4000 to 6000 rpm the car has another boost, great for dropping a cog when overtaking.

Z3 2.8 Progress Journal (Mine)
Z3 1.9 Sport Progress Journal (Wifey's)

I have an element of 'M-styling' on my car, If that's a good enough reason for the manufacturers to adorn a 320 with the M badge, then its certainly a good enough reason for me..
Bonzo

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Bonzo »

Bonzo wrote:I've heard these modifications improve top end power, but move the maximum torque higher up the rev band. ! love my low down torque, it surprises many when accelerating away in top when they think it's in third! It still has good grunt up to around 5800 r.p.m. and a change up into the next gear.

Bonzo. (single vanos)
There is an interesting article on .org which seems to bear this out. It's on the performance section.