Alarm siren missing?

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
usernothername

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Alarm siren missing?

Post by usernothername »

Z3 2.2 2001 - My doors lock with the remote and the indicators flash but then if I open the door with the key to trigger the alarm the indicators flash but there is no siren sounding. Also when the system is armed the internal dash LED is not flashing. I see there have been quite a few posts in the past about alarms but I couldn't find a photo of what the siren should look like on a post face-lift model (alarm buttons included on the main key).

Is my siren missing? This is the space below the fuse box / header tank where I think the siren should be:

And this is a nearby electrical connector that is mysteriously hanging loose unconnected, maybe the one for the missing siren?

peter2b

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Re: Alarm siren missing?

Post by peter2b »

I will try to have a look at my 2002 2.2 z3 for you as I know mine works
peter2b
usernothername

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by usernothername »

peter2b wrote:I will try to have a look at my 2002 2.2 z3 for you as I know mine works
peter2b
Any luck mate? I'm thinking it might look something like this?
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BMW-3-SERIES- ... Sw8w1X~MDh

I think this is the following part number http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/partxre ... .8.383.152
peter2b

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by peter2b »

poped the bonnet open had a good look arround the fuse box all I could see was the injection system the windscreen bottle fills all the space at the back
peter2b
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robert T »

Whilst I can't help you with the siren location or connectors on a facelift car, it's worth pointing out that sirens have been known to fail, with several reports on here. I would be surprised if it were a simple connector to unplug, as that might be a little too easy for Mr Thief. The Z3 has a common wiring loom, so there are usually quite a few spare connectors for options not fitted to your car (this includes some market specific options).

If the hazard lights flash when the alarm should be triggered, there is a functioning alarm system fitted and it is just the siren that is either missing or has failed, so fixing it shouldn't break the bank.

Cheers R.
Arctic Silver '99 Z3 1.9 & Black '59 Frogeye 1275cc
usernothername

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by usernothername »

Thanks guys. Yeah I just need to find where it was and how to wire it back up again. I found the tilt sensor in the boot was corroded beyond repair (but dry now) so I suspect the system was going nuts and the previous owner couldnt figure out why so took the siren out.

Peter2b, does yours have this empty bracket like mine? It's directly under the fuse box, mounted to the top of the wheel arch. Thanks
Geoff H

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Geoff H »

On the pre-facelift cars the siren could be set to silent, leaving just the indicators as a warning when arming, siren still went off if car was tampered with.They came with a "key" to turn them off too. Don't know if this can be done on facelift car
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robert T »

Geoff H wrote:On the pre-facelift cars the siren could be set to silent, leaving just the indicators as a warning when arming, siren still went off if car was tampered with.They came with a "key" to turn them off too. Don't know if this can be done on facelift car
The alarm system changed some time before the facelift (possibly around Sept 98). The later alarm does not have a key switch on the siren, but it can be reset by putting the key in the ignition and turning to position II, which you couldn't on the early alarm.

Tilt switch fault would likely trigger the alarm even when the alarm is not set (including whilst driving), so would be a good explanation for disconnecting the siren if that's what it turns out to be. The hazard lights would still flash though.

Cheers R.

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk
Arctic Silver '99 Z3 1.9 & Black '59 Frogeye 1275cc
usernothername

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by usernothername »

Update on this just for interest / others who might have a similar issue in future - I was right that this connector & bracket is for the alarm siren. I couldn't find a Z3 siren for sale that had the same looking electrical connector so I bought one for a 3 SERIES E46 320D SALOON - part number 838315214 - there's loads available on ebay for £10-20.... plugged it in and it works! Now my LED flashes when locked and the alarm sounds if I unlock the door manually with the key. Hurrah.
bertiejaffa

M roadster S50

Post by bertiejaffa »

Good news - over the years I have seen a number of threads about the missing noise so its good to know
Here come the girls.....
My //M Refurb
My First Zed Journal
peter2b

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by peter2b »

glad you got it sorted ,sorry been a bit busy doing bits under mine
peterz3
lightning

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by lightning »

My alarm is also silent (2002 3.0)

Where is the siren located on this model? I would like to get it working!
usernothername

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by usernothername »

My build date was late 2001 so could be in the same place as above?

EDIT: ps if you do find it missing or disconnected I'd suggest finding out why a previous owner did that before you plug it back in, otherwise you might find you get noisy false alarms etc and the siren has a backup battery inside so could be difficult to silence once triggered. Check the tilt sensor in the boot for water damage and the bonnet open switch.

Does your interior LED flash (between the seats) when it's locked?