Paint problem

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
joebuck

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Paint problem

Post by joebuck »

Evening all, Trying to find aerosol paint in Aegean blue, code 336. Tried BMW here in France, who tell me it is no longer available. Going to Belfast at Xmas and am hoping to find it there, Halfords perhaps? Anyone any info on paint situation would be most welcome. Problem seems to be that 336 is an individual colour of car. Many Thanks
therealdb1

Z3 roadster 2.0

Re: Paint problem

Post by therealdb1 »

Hi Joe,
You have no chance in Halfords don't waste your time.
If it is no longer available from BMW then your only option is to get it mixed by a refinisher.
I have a Mora Red (359) individual and got the paint from these people.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Aerosol-Spray ... GJuV7Iyf1Q
For the spray can or
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SCRATCH-REPAI ... SwA3dYNLfj
for touch up.
I did check and they haven't got 336 listed but if you contact them with the paint code and year of the car they will mix it for you.
Good luck.
Lewy

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Lewy »

Not so sure that's true... if Halfords have a code then they'll mix it. Also try Jawel paints.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk
Gazza

M roadster S54

Post by Gazza »

This is in NI, give them a call, although you could contact any car repairers near where you live and they will tell you where the trade centre is to get the aerosol made up.

http://www.coachfinish.com/contact-form/

It's better if you supply a paint sample {fuel flap) for colour match. Just supplying the code is only good enough for a basic match, for example there are fourteen shades of Estoril Blue.
Gazza

"Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car. Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall and torque is how far you take the wall with you"

Z3 S54 M roadster Image, BMW Z1, BMW M3 CSL, Z4M Coupe
ImageImage
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robert T »

therealdb1 wrote:You have no chance in Halfords don't waste your time.
Really? I have seen threads on here recommending Halfords own touch up paint as being the best match for Topaz Blue IIRC.

However, we are talking about matching 15-20 year old paint, so someone who makes up to match the colour should ensure that it matches, even if the paint on the car has faded over time.

Cheers R.
Arctic Silver '99 Z3 1.9 & Black '59 Frogeye 1275cc
joebuck

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by joebuck »

Thanks to all for info. on paint. Just got off the phone to that company in NI and will be picking up the 336 paint on thursday. Great job guys and again big thank you.
therealdb1

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by therealdb1 »

You guys must have better local Halfords than mine.
The last dealing I had with them was for them to take 2 hours to make up a front number plate which had water behind the characters within 6 months!
Perhaps it is unfair to tar all branches with the same incompetence brush that my local establishment has earned.
The comment about fading paint is valid though.
z3ddie

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by z3ddie »

Depends on the Halfords I suppose - I have a Topaz blue and spoke to the guy in the mixing shop and he said he would mix me a sample to take home to check - as I was only covering a couple of chips it was more than enough - bit cheeky but got a free fix out of it!
peter2b

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by peter2b »

I got some from halfords in Shrewsbury for my zed tatanium silver good match
peterz3