Which Outdoor Cover?

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
Maljones

Z3 roadster 1.9

Which Outdoor Cover?

Post by Maljones »

Hi Y'All! Just joined the "tribe "having bought a 2.2 in beautiful Sienna Red.As I want to keep it beautiful but unable to garage it for a couple of months , can anybody tell me where I should go for a good quality car cover these days ? ?
Koolflyer

Z3 roadster 2.8

Re: Which Outdoor Cover?

Post by Koolflyer »

Hi Maljones, I had a cheap full cover but all it did was retain dampness between the car and it, and worst of all, it scratched the paint work on the 'tight' points. I splashed out 3 years a go a bought a Hamiltons 5 layer full cover, but you get what you pay for. Good airflow so no dampness, plus its got a really nice soft lining so my Zed comes out of hibernation in March all polished! http://www.hamiltonclassic.co.uk

Regards Pete
KF
1997 Z3 2.8 (M52) Roadster Montreal blue
2013 330d (F31) M Sport Alpine White
peter2b

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by peter2b »

I got one from halfords last year didn't scratch and was breathable not too expensive either lasted over winter in bad weather but you need extra tie downs to keep it in place if exposed
peterz3
davieb

M coupe S50

Post by davieb »

I didn't have a good experience with an expensive Hamilton car cover. Within a few months of buying it, I found that every time I took it off, it was wet underneath. This was in a rather wet autumn. I spoke to one of the Hamilton staff at the NEC classic car show, and he fobbed it off with "it must be condensation, it's designed that way." About 15 months or so later, after a very wet winter, I took it off after a couple of months of not using the car (M Coupe) and found that the seats and other interior leather was mouldy. I would add that the cover was, for the most part, sodden, over the couple of months prior. So all it had done was trap in the rain that had soaked into the cover. I might be mistaken of course - I can't claim to understand the laws of nature/physics etc., that combined to give me that result, but this year I've just gone back to a £50 Halfords cover, no problem as yet.
Olly2012

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Olly2012 »

Hi. I am looking for a good all round outdoor cover for my z3 (the bmw z3 cover I have has left my bonnet scratched) and the Storm Car Covers website (https://www.stormcarcovers.co.uk/pages/ ... ons-advice) suggests to me that the Stormforce cover isn't recommended for temperatures below 21 degrees which seems a bit nuts. I've looked at the Hamilton website but concerned reports by forum members that point to the car sweating. I wonder if anyone had any recent experience of either or the Halfords alternative?
Juvvajuvva

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Juvvajuvva »

I have four cars under different covers.

All of them get varying amounts of moisture depending on the weather.

The silver BMW genuine nappy/ type cover is next to useless and is ok for a garage queen.

The soft fleece type are great for inside/fully breathable.

The storm force doesn’t scratch the car and has straps underneath which stops it coming of in very windy weather but it will get some minimal moisture underneath, although breathable. It will become sodden in very heavy rain.

The same company but the Monsoon version is awesome! Very strong, straps underneath. It’s twice the quality of the storm force but is designed for winter. They advise not using it in high temps. It does get moisture underneath but has breathing flaps.These sort of work.
I just take it off every few days and wipe the damp/ ish bits. It only needs it if it is really rainy. I never have issues inside the car with moisture or on the roof.
It protects from weather and sun damage.
However, if you want to totally protect a car you either have to build a garage or buy a Carcoon type product and dehumidifier.

All the covers are suitable for different weather conditions but there is no “one cures all” to my knowledge.
The Monsoon is the best I have for winter.The storm force are better for lighter weather.
I would say a car tent is a good option if you have the room.
Olly2012

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Olly2012 »

Juvvajuvva wrote:I have four cars under different covers.

All of them get varying amounts of moisture depending on the weather.

The silver BMW genuine nappy/ type cover is next to useless and is ok for a garage queen.

The soft fleece type are great for inside/fully breathable.

The storm force doesn’t scratch the car and has straps underneath which stops it coming of in very windy weather but it will get some minimal moisture underneath, although breathable. It will become sodden in very heavy rain.

The same company but the Monsoon version is awesome! Very strong, straps underneath. It’s twice the quality of the storm force but is designed for winter. They advise not using it in high temps. It does get moisture underneath but has breathing flaps.These sort of work.
I just take it off every few days and wipe the damp/ ish bits. It only needs it if it is really rainy. I never have issues inside the car with moisture or on the roof.
It protects from weather and sun damage.
However, if you want to totally protect a car you either have to build a garage or buy a Carcoon type product and dehumidifier.

All the covers are suitable for different weather conditions but there is no “one cures all” to my knowledge.
The Monsoon is the best I have for winter.The storm force are better for lighter weather.
I would say a car tent is a good option if you have the room.
Thanks for this feedback and advice juvvajuvva. I looked at Storm's website and wondered if the monsoon was the cover to have. Image

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk