Window / roof leak - window adjustment

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
usernothername

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Window / roof leak - window adjustment

Post by usernothername »

Lots of posts on this already, I know, I have the fairly common issue of drips from the rubber roof seal at the top of the window, dripping on to the seats. Much much worse on the drivers side but also a small bit on passenger side.

I've cleaned the drains holes on the 'plug' at the top of the A-pillar, and couldn't see that I had this split problem mentioned here but will have a closer look later on.
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=36095
If so I will get the puncture repair kit out or some silicone sealer.

I've also ordered some gummi pflege to plump up the rubbers.

Lastly, and this is the thing I am not sure about, is adjusting the window. I dont quite understand the difference between the bolts at the bottom of the door and the height adustment on the mechanism inside the door. As detailed here:
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=44068&hilit=pillar+leak

Are the two on the underside of the door to adjust the lateral angle - i.e. if looking at the car head-on, along the plane of the window, the vertical angle of the window? So adjusting this should make the top of the window push harder on the rubber? As opposed to the angle of the window when looking at it from the side, which would adjust the gap at the top. if it were different from the front to the back.
z3ddie

Z3 roadster 2.8

Re: Window / roof leak - window adjustment

Post by z3ddie »

Had the same problem and cured it by doing the following
I removed the 'bungs' from the top of the A pillar both side - you can get them to come out quite easily with patience, then thoroughly cleaned them and the channels.
I them applied a thick smear of silicone around the top of the bung and gently pressed them home until the silicone was oozing out, wiped off the excess and let it go off
With the foul weather we have been having so far it has not had a drop in.

I also treated myself to a great half cover from Ebay to protect the newly cleaned and treated hood with is a fantastic bit of kit

Here is the link -- bit pricey but it is a quality bit of kit

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/BMW-Z3-h ... RTM2063723
peter2b

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by peter2b »

I had the same leak but only on the drivers side cleaned the top of the rubber on the windscreen then used a 20mm dia puncture patch pulled the roof down and locked carefully that was last March been dry ever since I also use gummi stuff as well, but I wish I had used a black patch though
peterz3
usernothername

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by usernothername »

Thanks.

Z3ddie - how did you stop the silicone blocking the narrow drain holes or the a pillar?

Peter2b - where did you put the puncture patch? You mean you can see it still with the roof closed?
peter2b

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by peter2b »

no I put it over the plug on top , that's where the water was comming in, you can only see it with the roof down
peterz3
deni2s

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by deni2s »

The thing is that you have to seal the A-pillar plug, so that it doesn't leak at all.

Another thing you can do to improve things (and it's not so well known as famous and popular A-pillar leak) - pull the 3 rubber seals from the soft top over the window, loose the bolts (some torx) under them, and after that you can adjust the plates on which the rubber seals were fitted. Tighten the bolts after and push back the rubber seals. But just remember that those rubber seals cost a fortune if they are still available new (not so sure about availability), so be carefull with them, it's not a cheap few pounds rubber thing as you might think by looking at them ;).
z3ddie

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by z3ddie »

usernothername wrote:Thanks.

Z3ddie - how did you stop the silicone blocking the narrow drain holes or the a pillar?

Peter2b - where did you put the puncture patch? You mean you can see it still with the roof closed?
I pulled the plugs out and spread the silicone at the top of them and then gently squeezed them back in - then checked the drains were clear with of all things a bit of strimmer line - the important thing is sealing the end part only of the plug to stop the water ingressing in which lets it get into the car before hitting the drain
4wheels

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by 4wheels »

mine leaked when it rained loads the other week.
i cleaned the whole rubber above the windscreen top... was full of all sorts.
then cleaned both side of the A pillar rubber, the bottom of it was full of rubbish so the water couldnt escape and filled up the pocket at the top and came in the car.
its rained a lot tonight... so ill find out if it worked properly... but with a jug it seems to have fixed it... for freeeee :)