The cost of parts!

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
SHRS2000

Z3 roadster 2.2i

The cost of parts!

Post by SHRS2000 »

Just thought I'd share this with the folk on here.

I've been buying a few bits & pieces for the Z3 & noticed that the petrol flap wasn't sitting right. A chat with the very helpful parts guys at Lloyd Newcastle BMW sorted that. But hang on surely there's been a mistake! £5.20 for something so small!!! Here's a pic next to a pound coin.
z3 fuel flap.JPG
z3 fuel flap.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Beemer Man

Z3 roadster 2.8

Re: The cost of parts!

Post by Beemer Man »

........or how about £628.38 + fitting for the "genuine BMW" (possibly Hella) throttle body I had fitted by my Indy last week to my "W"-plate 2.8.............?

Beemer Man
wonderloaf

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by wonderloaf »

SHRS2000 wrote:Just thought I'd share this with the folk on here.

I've been buying a few bits & pieces for the Z3 & noticed that the petrol flap wasn't sitting right. A chat with the very helpful parts guys at Lloyd Newcastle BMW sorted that. But hang on surely there's been a mistake! £5.20 for something so small!!! Here's a pic next to a pound coin.
z3 fuel flap.JPG
z3 fuel flap.JPG
Think I lost mine on the drive last week while washing the car, haven't found it yet but at that price think I will make a renewed effort to find it!
2001 Titan Silver 2.2 Sport
SHRS2000

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by SHRS2000 »

wonderloaf wrote:
SHRS2000 wrote:Just thought I'd share this with the folk on here.

z3 fuel flap.JPG
z3 fuel flap.JPG
Think I lost mine on the drive last week while washing the car, haven't found it yet but at that price think I will make a renewed effort to find it!
Your car is identical to mine!

FYI

The part number is 17 8 153 364 (Buffer) in case you can't find it!
lightning

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by lightning »

Be thankful the parts are all available.

BMW are one of very few manufacturers to make parts available for their older cars. Try that with Alfa Romeo for instance! And when l had my Ferrari l was told there was "no availability" of flywheels (generally needed replacing with the clutch)
4wheels

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by 4wheels »

lol come on... alfa run out of spares... and ferrari just cant be bothered :)
SHRS2000

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by SHRS2000 »

lightning wrote:Be thankful the parts are all available.

BMW are one of very few manufacturers to make parts available for their older cars. Try that with Alfa Romeo for instance! And when l had my Ferrari l was told there was "no availability" of flywheels (generally needed replacing with the clutch)
Fair point Martin. I've got a VW Corrado, granted A bit older than the Z3, & the spares situation for that is terrible.

Decided to replace the wing indicators & I thought they were a very reasonable £34.00!
deni2s

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by deni2s »

Sorry, but 5 pounds for any part is not that expensive and you can always replace it with any rubber for free. And don't forget you are talking about future classic car. Parts prices and availability pretty much dictates the future prices of remaining cars. There are a few parts for z3 which are no longer available and generally parts prices are rising up, so there will be some part of z3 owners who will stop maintaining their cars and that will increase the price of remaining cars (as there is a demand for z3 around).
lightning

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by lightning »

I just bought an A pillar trim as there was a little scratch on mine.
It cost £85, for a piece of plastic.

I nearly didn't bother....but l noticed the scratch every time l got in the car...
dazthephot

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by dazthephot »

Have to agree.
Just paid £10 for an interior light bulb from Coopers, you know the heater panel one. Mind you i did see the same bloody part on Autobulbsdirect for £3.50 after the event.
I also paid £10 for a replacement aerial rubber grommet! Having said that though i paid £55 for a replacement aftrmarket battery instead of the ridiculous stealer price, same dimensions and more power for the new one.
Swings and roundabouts.
lightning

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by lightning »

One of the engine air intake grilles was broken on the Ferrari (on the rear wing). I called Maranello about this plastic part "NLA, try this company in ltaly"
So the ltalian company had bought up all Ferrari's parts stock of various items for older vehicles. I called them "£1500, unpainted"

I went on the Ferrari forum (which is pretty much the same as this one) and somebody from California replied saying he'd seen two hung up on a car "parter" (breakers) near him.

I got the number and called the place in Sacremento. I bought both and it cost me £300 after postage, customs etc. Plus they were red so did not need painting.

I fitted one, and put the other on Ebay, where it sold for £900, which turned out to be almost exactly the £960 it cost to replace the faulty Bosch Motronic 2.5 left cylinder bank ECU about a month later.

Sadly no cheap alternative to that, as it couldn't be repaired.
dazthephot

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by dazthephot »

wow! talk about the scale of things, in comparison i'm glad i have the zed. Good deal for you though purely for enduring where others would have just shelled out no questions.
motco

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by motco »

Beemer Man wrote:........or how about £628.38 + fitting for the "genuine BMW" (possibly Hella) throttle body I had fitted by my Indy last week to my "W"-plate 2.8.............?

Beemer Man
It's cost of making and stocking a diminishing number of components I suspect. They're a pain to the manufacturer and the parts departments. For what it's worth I replaced my throttle body on my 2.2i Sport from Ebay for £20 8-) Okay it was used, but it's been fine. I still have the old one I think, and one day, when I'm bored, I'll try to open it and refurbish it.