Bonnet Stuck Shut

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
TomH84

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Bonnet Stuck Shut

Post by TomH84 »

Hey all,

Went to pop the bonnet last night to change the oil and filters and it won't open.

Have searched the forums and made some progress but i'm having problems accessing the driver side bonnet latch.

Basically the cable has snapped just short of the driver's latch. I can see the break. The passenger side latch is open (I pulled the cable in between the two latches to release that one). I've removed the splash panel from underneath and can just see the driver side latch, but how on earth do I (or anyone...) get to it??? I have no idea at all how anyone can get that latch open without drilling a hole in the bonnet!

Super frustrated with this :head: :head: All i wanted to do was be nice to the zed and change her oil - again!! Williams BMW has a 1-series on offer just now. Seriously tempted after this morning... ARGH

Cheers for any help,

Tom
2002 BMW Z3 2.2i 82k
1971(K) MGB GT - the 'other' car
Gazza

M roadster S54

Re: Bonnet Stuck Shut

Post by Gazza »

I think it's accessible if you remove the kidney grills
Gazza

"Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car. Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall and torque is how far you take the wall with you"

Z3 S54 M roadster Image, BMW Z1, BMW M3 CSL, Z4M Coupe
ImageImage
TomH84

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by TomH84 »

Cheers Gazza!

I've removed the grills. That helped with the passenger side latch, but there's no access to the driver's side. I would probably be able to catch the cable if it hadn't snapped, but it's snapped off right off at the latch leaving me virtually nothing to pull on / pry etc.

:bawl: :bawl: :bawl:
2002 BMW Z3 2.2i 82k
therealdb1

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by therealdb1 »

I had that problem a few years back.
Should have done something about the stiff cable much sooner :head:
Took the Z to my local MOT man who had it open in 20 minutes after much swearing!
Of course, he did have the benfit of the worlds longest screwdriver and a four post lift so that the car was above his head at a convenient height to work on.
He charged £20 if I remember correctly and it was worth every penny. I then replaced both cables and both latches for about another £50 which I now maintain to ensure they do not stiffen again and it's almost a pleasure to open and close the bonnet.
Others who have bonnets that are either difficult to open or do not close properly and pop up when you are driving have been warned :wink:
Del

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Del »

Had similar happen, I made a tool out of fairly thick green garden wire. It involved a suitable length with a small hook shape bent at the end - I then probed onto the latch there the cable and little barrel go, until it hooked up and then pulled. Difficult to explain on a forum but when you see how the latch works you'll see what I mean. :D
lightning

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by lightning »

Have a look at how the latch works, as suggested above.
Once you know how the mechanism operates you can most likely figure a way to open it.
Bowler

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Bowler »

With a bit of force the grill can be pulled out giving better access with a screw driver to the latch
[quote][/quote]
In love with driving again (its the Z effect)
TomH84

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Re: Bonnet Stuck Shut - FIXED

Post by TomH84 »

Thanks Guys!

Finally got the bonnet open. Tried fishing around with a wire after studying the diagram showing the mechanism - good tip. But after 30 mins no luck :head:

In the end, I was bad and tool a chisel to the plastic latch cover. Once smashed up that revealed the mechanism, which I could easily open with a flat screwdriver :squeeze: !!

Wouldn't wish this on anyone... But if you do get stuck, I would advise breaking into the mechanism. It took 5 seconds to open the latch with a screwdriver once opened. Worth the costs of a new lock IMHO. Mine lock is rusted and broken away. Am going to replace both locks and all cables - and lube them :)

Tom
2002 BMW Z3 2.2i 82k