Sill removed cleaned and waxoyled

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
colb

Z3 roadster 1.8 TU

Sill removed cleaned and waxoyled

Post by colb »

Finally got around to stripping the drivers side sill off the car using instructions posted on the forum. Jacked up and placed on axle stands front and rear wheels removed followed by the arch liners. The car was built 12/1999 and registered in the UK in 03/2000, its a 1.9 badged 1.8.
all the fixings came off quite easily did break some of the plastic clips that hold the trim plate on the top of the sill getting it off.
Once all revealed it was found to be in excellent condition no rust at all on the sill cover or the inner sill. Just a small amount of dried silt at the ends which cleaned off very easily. Treated everything to clear Waxoyle and cleaned up the arch liners and put it all back together.
Car has 36k miles on it so its had an easy life however I was impressed in the condition I found everything in.
ImageDSC_0009 by Colin Bryan, on Flickr

ImageDSC_0010 by Colin Bryan, on Flickr

ImageDSC_0011 by Colin Bryan, on Flickr

Just got to do the passenger side next, hoping its as good as the drivers side.
Last edited by colb on Sat 22 Jul, 2017 12:32, edited 6 times in total.
Colb
1999 BMW 1.8 Z3
2003 BMW 2.5 Z4
1998 Honda Deauville NT650V
Del

Z3 roadster 1.9

Re: Sill removed cleaned and waxoyled

Post by Del »

That is in good condition - in fact the best I've seen on the forum and elsewhere. People normally get some rust, on the section with holes, at either end, with corresponding rust on the sill cover ends.
therealdb1

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by therealdb1 »

Saw the rug in the last photo and thought that you were doing this in the living room :D
Only when I scrolled up I realised that you must have carpet in the garage.
Lucky Z!
Mine just gets an epoxy painted floor :(
Bonzo

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Bonzo »

I hope you have got axle stands or other supplementary means of support under your Z! You can't be too careful in this respect.

:cheers

Bonzo.
Z3lda (Zelda), 1998 2.8, Montreal Blue, Beige Oregon leather interior and M steering wheel, Sports Seats, Wood trim, Chrome Line Interior, Centre armrest with Cupholder, Alpina Softline wheels, Chromed Angel Eyes, De- tango'd, Rear stone guards, Sport aerial, ASC front strut brace, Strong Strut Butt Strut and Body Brace, Uprated brake fluid, Yellowstuff pads 78k.
Bonzo

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Bonzo »

Ooops, just read in your opening post that you have axle stands! I just couldn't see them in your photos :head: But I can now. :oops:
Z3lda (Zelda), 1998 2.8, Montreal Blue, Beige Oregon leather interior and M steering wheel, Sports Seats, Wood trim, Chrome Line Interior, Centre armrest with Cupholder, Alpina Softline wheels, Chromed Angel Eyes, De- tango'd, Rear stone guards, Sport aerial, ASC front strut brace, Strong Strut Butt Strut and Body Brace, Uprated brake fluid, Yellowstuff pads 78k.
Bonzo

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Bonzo »

Del wrote:That is in good condition - in fact the best I've seen on the forum and elsewhere. People normally get some rust, on the section with holes, at either end, with corresponding rust on the sill cover ends.
I did. Now I've sorted the structural sills. Getting the new outer sills painted up soon. The old ones looked fine when viewed from the side, but completely shot underneath.

Bonzo.
colb

Z3 roadster 1.8 TU

Post by colb »

Yes always use axle stands usually leaving the trolly jacks in place as a back up.
If I am going to crawl underneath I use a pair of ramps to get the car high enough, always feels safer than the axle stands.
My outer sills were rust free, I was expecting some at either end but they were spotless, I coated the inside surface with black waxoyle as well as either end of the inner sills. Clear waxoyle sprayed inside the inner sill through the holes.
Colb
1999 BMW 1.8 Z3
2003 BMW 2.5 Z4
Bonzo

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Bonzo »

I used Jenolite on the ends of the structural sills and underneath the jacking points after removing the surface rust with various wire brushes etc. Then 2 coats of Hammerite followed by Waxoyl, which was also applied to the internals of the structural sill. When inspected these were rust free. Having Stonechip applied to the underneath of the outer sills when they are painted, and will Waxoyl the internal surfaces before fitting them.

Bonzo.
mrscalex

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by mrscalex »

Bonzo wrote:I used Jenolite on the ends of the structural sills and underneath the jacking points after removing the surface rust with various wire brushes etc. Then 2 coats of Hammerite followed by Waxoyl, which was also applied to the internals of the structural sill. When inspected these were rust free. Having Stonechip applied to the underneath of the outer sills when they are painted, and will Waxoyl the internal surfaces before fitting them.

Bonzo.
Has anyone found a stone chip spray can that replicates the factory finish? For touching in?

What sort of stuff does a body shop use? Would that replicate the original finish?

I like it all factory looking ;)
ImageImage
2001 Z3 2.2 Topaz Blue (Trudy) - Keeper rebuilt from a write-off
2002 Z3 2.2 Titan Silver (Cookies) - Keeper rebuilt having been bought with a seized engine
2002 Z3 3.0 Sapphire Black (Peanut) - Keeper awaiting rebuilding having been bought as an abandoned project
Plus Willy, Kodak & Maycee - All 2.2 Sport projects. Yes, 6 is a lot of Z3s :)
Always happy to try and help with spares :)
colb

Z3 roadster 1.8 TU

Post by colb »

Just ordered some sill trim clips to replace a couple I broke when removing the trim, found them here on ebay
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Door-Sill-Tri ... Sw0UdXq6GP
Some on there cheaper but from Hong Kong and not always hopeful of them actually arriving given past experiences of buying from there.

Also ordered some replacement self tapper screws that are used on the sills and arch liners, all mine were reusable but thought they would be handy as spares in case the passenger side needs some replacing when I do that side.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?&_from ... 0For%20BMW
Colb
1999 BMW 1.8 Z3
2003 BMW 2.5 Z4
handsomejackuk

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by handsomejackuk »

Nice Job Col.... next time you do the other give me a shout i would like to see how easy a job it is to do.... my sills could do with a bit of sprucing up and i would like to know how you get the sill covers off without breaking them ?

is there a way to do it

Al...
colb

Z3 roadster 1.8 TU

Post by colb »

Will do Al, not this week as on call so don't want to have the car in bits and have to rush off if called out. Probably give it a go following week.
If you want to make a start just remove the arch liners first and give it a good clean behind them before tackling the sills as the liners have to be out to access some of the sill fasteners. 8mm socket used on the self tappers holding the arch liners in, once all are out it just pulls out with the wheel off.
The sill threshold cover is where its likely to break some of the fixing clips, just a case of using a broad blade screwdriver to lift the cover, doing it nearest to the clips may help prevent breakage if your very careful. Be interesting to see how good yours is underneath compared to mine.
Colb
1999 BMW 1.8 Z3
2003 BMW 2.5 Z4
handsomejackuk

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by handsomejackuk »

dont think i be doing to much the next few weeks... got a few household things to sort first and need to wait for my hand to get a bit better bit of an argument with a stanlry knife Oooooouch....

Al..
Koolflyer

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Koolflyer »

Ooh.....bugger! I assume no fault of the Zed then :(
1997 Z3 2.8 (M52) Roadster Montreal blue
2013 330d (F31) M Sport Alpine White
colb

Z3 roadster 1.8 TU

Post by colb »

That looks real nasty, hope it heals up quick so you can get back to fettling.
Colb
1999 BMW 1.8 Z3
2003 BMW 2.5 Z4
colb

Z3 roadster 1.8 TU

Post by colb »

Had a go at the passenger side this afternoon, stripped down in an hour then cleaned, now awaiting a good dose of Waxoyle. Got to get some as I ran out doing the drivers side.
The passenger side is just as good as the other side, no rust anywhere thank goodness. Only casualty was one of the front arch liner studs at the trailing end of the liner, it snapped off as I undid the nut. Must see what alternative fixing I can use or just rely on the remaining stud next to the broken off one.

Colb
1999 BMW 1.8 Z3
2003 BMW 2.5 Z4
handsomejackuk

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by handsomejackuk »

i had the rear wheel off tonight to have a look at see whats rubbing.. and at the same time tried to get the rear arch liner out...removed the 4 screws holding the liner in...one on the rear bumper one under the sill, and the two on the liner inseide the wheel arch... managed to break one of the clip things on the sill, but replaced with the rear bumper one and put a new one on the bumper.. side as i had some here from a different job..

anyway i did manage to free the rear part of the liner but its so hard to get out... Gave up

and i have seemed to lost a nut thing in a square hole in the arch liner... where did that go must be inside the body of the car...?

anyway got my rear caliper all stripped again and hoping to get the disk off tomorrow, to see what the rubbing noise is.. suspect its something loos in the handsbrake shoe..
Bonzo

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Bonzo »

mrscalex wrote:
Bonzo wrote:I used Jenolite on the ends of the structural sills and underneath the jacking points after removing the surface rust with various wire brushes etc. Then 2 coats of Hammerite followed by Waxoyl, which was also applied to the internals of the structural sill. When inspected these were rust free. Having Stonechip applied to the underneath of the outer sills when they are painted, and will Waxoyl the internal surfaces before fitting them.

Bonzo.
Has anyone found a stone chip spray can that replicates the factory finish? For touching in?

What sort of stuff does a body shop use? Would that replicate the original finish?

The guy that sprayed mine up applied a perfect factory finish stone chip layer to the undersides of my sills and rustproofed the insides. Not cheap, but I'm well satisfied. :thumb:
Bonzo.
handsomejackuk

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by handsomejackuk »

Bonzo wrote:
mrscalex wrote:

Bonzo.

The guy that sprayed mine up applied a perfect factory finish stone chip layer to the undersides of my sills and rustproofed the insides.
Not cheap, but I'm well satisfied. :thumb:
Bonzo.
what sort of money ? was that original Sills, or did you get new... mine have started to go at the ends...
SHRS2000

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by SHRS2000 »

what sort of money ? was that original Sills, or did you get new... mine have started to go at the ends..

I've just done mine as mine had gone in the same place. The sills cost £110.00+ VAT from BMW. i also bought new bolts & clips which were .70 & .15 each respectively. A trusted local bodyshop did the work & did an excellent job replicating the factory finish. Can't tell it's been done really. Used Bilt Hamber Dynax when putting the car back together. Very easy to use & better stuff than wax oyl. Worth doing!
colb

Z3 roadster 1.8 TU

Post by colb »

Al
Its a bit of a wrestle getting the arch liners out, once all the screws are out I found it was best to drop the inner edge down and then use a screwdriver to spring the outer edge down and out from the outer wing edge being careful not to damage the wing edge when doing it, same for the front although that one dropped out once it was released from the two studs holding it against the front bulkhead, that's the plastic nuts in the recessed bottom end of the arch liner. How you managed to do it with the hand injury must have been painful.
Colb
1999 BMW 1.8 Z3
2003 BMW 2.5 Z4
Bonzo

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Bonzo »

I got new sills from Rybrook BMW, I can't remember the price, but it was good. I got clips and fixings from Sopers. I splashed out on new 'roadster' sill covers, 'C' pillar covers and carpet edge covers, all from Rybrook, as Sopers won't send big items mail order. it's a pig of a job :head: when you remove /refit the first 2 wheel arch liners, but you learn from that and the 2nd pair are a lot easier to do.I got recommended a local body/paint shop and they painted, stone chipped and rustproofed my sills and front side panels. The paint guy was very good, I didn't realise there were 2 shades of Montreal Blue, he used a test card to get the right one. Just got to do the front mud flaps now!

Cheers,

Bonzo.
Last edited by Bonzo on Fri 14 Apr, 2017 19:30, edited 1 time in total.
billysally208

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by billysally208 »

handsomejackuk wrote:dont think i be doing to much the next few weeks... got a few household things to sort first and need to wait for my hand to get a bit better bit of an argument with a stanlry knife Oooooouch....

Al..
'Tis a mere flesh wound............................... but looks sore!
Bonzo

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Bonzo »

handsomejackuk wrote:Nice Job Col.... next time you do the other give me a shout i would like to see how easy a job it is to do.... my sills could do with a bit of sprucing up and i would like to know how you get the sill covers off without breaking them ?

is there a way to do it

Al...
There are a few posts on this on.org as well so check their Knowledge base thingy. I downloaded a pictorial guide from them. There's probably something on this in this forums Knowledge base I would have thought. Nasty cut by the way, how did you do it?

Bonzo.
Bonzo

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Bonzo »

Sill replacement project now finished! Halfords £8 universal mudflaps fitted to the front. These needed a lot of gradual trimming /offering up before they would sit nicely, so it was a bit of a slog, but worth it for the protection they give for so little cost. New 'roadster' sill covers, carpet edge covers and 'C' pillar covers fitted. Waxoyl underseal on the bottom sill fixing bolts seemed a good thing to do. A wash with Autoglym shampoo and conditioner and a good polish with Super Resin Polish and now she's gleaming, all fixed and ready for fun. :drive Hard work for a 68 year old, but very satisfying. :thumb:

:cheers,

Bonzo.
Last edited by Bonzo on Sun 16 Apr, 2017 22:49, edited 1 time in total.
pingu

M roadster S50

Post by pingu »

Well done. 68's the new 38 :D
Pingu
handsomejackuk

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by handsomejackuk »

[/quote]
There are a few posts on this on.org as well so check their Knowledge base thingy. I downloaded a pictorial guide from them. There's probably something on this in this forums Knowledge base I would have thought. Nasty cut by the way, how did you do it?

Bonzo.[/quote]

did it with stanley knife... its healed real well now.... was trimming a fence panel and cutting some notches in it.. slipped with a blunt blade, and i was rushing... to sort it... leson learnt first time i have had stitches in 51 years... so not bad going...

AL..