Exhausts?

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
swabyk

Z3 roadster 1.9

Exhausts?

Post by swabyk »

Anyone replaced their exhaust lately, just wondered if anyone had already done the leg-work on cheapest places to go. Mines a 1999 1.9. There's so many places that do exhausts i was hoping someone might be able to save me the time of calling round them all?

Dont want anything special, standard exhaust replacement is fine.

Cheers guys
K
g8jka
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 2.8

Re: Exhausts?

Post by g8jka »

It depends on how much of the exhaust you want to or need to replace?

A quick search on eBay shows you can pick up a rear silencer for as little as £45 and a cat for £65, then you need to get it fitted which could be at least an hours labour at a garage and upwards I would guess. It depends on how well the old system comes off, re-fitting is pretty straight forward.

I had a new stainless steel backbox custom made to the specs I wanted and fitted for £140. Most of these systems that are custom made work out cheaper than a standard system and you also get the added benefits of the sounds and looks you want. I know you want standard, but it may be worth looking at the option of something custom made.
2000 BMW Z3 2.8 Titanium Silver Roadster with too many mods to list :-D :drive
Click For 2.0 Progress Journal
Click For 2.8 Progress Journal
swabyk

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by swabyk »

Thats great info, thanks for that. I dont suppose you have any links to custom garages online youve used/seen?
g8jka
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by g8jka »

The one I used was in the Midlands, Brierley Hill. I think there are plenty of places over the country, some other members may be along soon with recommendations.
2000 BMW Z3 2.8 Titanium Silver Roadster with too many mods to list :-D :drive
Click For 2.0 Progress Journal
Click For 2.8 Progress Journal
mrscalex

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by mrscalex »

Bizarrely the £45 exhaust on ebay is actually okay. Noisy but in a good way.

I bought one for my brother's 1.9. Labour brought the total out to about £110 I think. It did need heating up so the bend over the axle could be adjusted a little.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/161545926468

Just a guess but I doubt you'd get much change out of £250 at a kwik fit type place. I probably checked all that when I went down the ebay item route - I can't remember now. I wouldn't have taken a chance on something like that unless the cost was going to be painful at a normal exhaust centre.
ImageImage
2001 Z3 2.2 Topaz Blue (Trudy) - Keeper rebuilt from a write-off
2002 Z3 2.2 Titan Silver (Cookies) - Keeper rebuilt having been bought with a seized engine
2002 Z3 3.0 Sapphire Black (Peanut) - Keeper awaiting rebuilding having been bought as an abandoned project
Plus Willy, Kodak & Maycee - All 2.2 Sport projects. Yes, 6 is a lot of Z3s :)
Always happy to try and help with spares :)
lightning

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by lightning »

After experiencing aftermarket Land Rover exhaust systems l'd always go OE as long as it was not too dear.

An exception was a new CAT for my Defender TD5 (diesel, so not even a proper CAT) £900!!!
The Britpart one cost £250. It's not great, but l'm not paying £900 the robbers.