ABS/ASC lights on

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
billysally208

Z3 roadster 1.9i

ABS/ASC lights on

Post by billysally208 »

Hi, Just bought my 2000 1.9 Z3 out of storage – got the ABS and ASC lights on the dash. I know this is well documented on the internet but I am a bit confused with the codes I have got using the C110 reader.
The codes are:-

93 -Engine intervention via CAN
98 ASC button
71 ABS pump – motor fault

To start with I will remove the ABS sensors and clean them and the rings, as this seems to be a common cause – just wondering about the other codes, quite happy to replace the ABS pump if necessary but could the ASC button be the problem?
Only work done prior to storage was replacing the discs/pads/shoes but did'nt have cause to disturb the ABS sensors at all and car ran fine imeadiatley after.

Any ideas anyone – Thanks in anticipation.
gookah
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 2.8

Re: ABS/ASC lights on

Post by gookah »

pump fault 71 is usually the ECU on the pump itself, 4little torx bolts and the unit comes off without any fluid escaping or the need to bleed it,
Get a working one from a scrapper for about £50 and code it, or get it refurbished for about £200.
Last edited by gookah on Sun 09 Apr, 2017 21:07, edited 1 time in total.

Z3 2.8 Progress Journal (Mine)
Z3 1.9 Sport Progress Journal (Wifey's)

I have an element of 'M-styling' on my car, If that's a good enough reason for the manufacturers to adorn a 320 with the M badge, then its certainly a good enough reason for me..
therealdb1

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by therealdb1 »

Before changing anything have you driven it further than the driveway?
Give it a blast for a few miles and get everything, not just the engine, nice and warm. You may find it is just some condensation on the connectors if it has been stored over winter.
Sometimes it is incredible what a few heat cycles can fix!
billysally208

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by billysally208 »

Thank you for your replies - yea sound advice re taking it for a good run and see what comes up after - problem I have is that the car is Sorn'ed and I daren't go too far in it at the moment - don't believe in taxing cars half way through the month and losing the first half of the month - so my plan was to get all the jobs, service, etc. I want to do sorted and unsorn and tax it 1st day of May.
Anyway just spent a bit of time on it and basically disconnected the large multi plug on the ASC/ABS module, cleaned it with contact cleaner and removed and cleaned the ASC switch itself, cleared the codes and the lights are out, to start with the ASC switch in the car wasn't doing anything but after a few starts it is now switching ASC on and off, as it should do. Fingers crossed I hope it is sorted, but you never know with these cars, and as you said probably storing it over winter has been the cause of the problem - although it's been in a dry, heated lock up throughout that time