lambda sensor

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
mickdev

Z3 roadster 1.8 TU

lambda sensor

Post by mickdev »

Well the light has come on the dash again for the lambda sensor, I have been looking on ebay and they vary in price immensely from original £130.00 from BMW down to £25.00 with 2 year warranty from companies who say they supply to garages.
Has anyone changed one and if so do you recommend sticking with OEM parts or try the cheaper ones.
I know that you get what you pay for but £130.00 seems steep
deni2s

Z3 roadster 2.8

Re: lambda sensor

Post by deni2s »

There is no light on dash about lambda sensor. Read the ECU errors.
If that's really the lambda issue, stick with original, that's one of a few parts you don't want to mess with (the other is MAF sensor). 130 GBP even for original seems steep (unless that's the price for a pair).
mickdev

Z3 roadster 1.8 TU

Post by mickdev »

unfortunately on my model the 1.8, the engine management light comes on as amber and says in the manual that it is the lambda sensor.
I have had this verified by having the code read at the garage and it does back up the manuals statement that the fault is with the lambda sensor
gookah
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by gookah »

mickdev wrote:unfortunately on my model the 1.8, the engine management light comes on as amber and says in the manual that it is the lambda sensor.
I have had this verified by having the code read at the garage and it does back up the manuals statement that the fault is with the lambda sensor

Check all the vacuum hoses first for splits. They are a regular source of engine management lights, though they do not have their own code.
The lamba cannot cope with the extra amount of unmetered air entering and throws a code..
Errors can be caused by a result of something else, and not always the part indicated.

Z3 2.8 Progress Journal (Mine)
Z3 1.9 Sport Progress Journal (Wifey's)

I have an element of 'M-styling' on my car, If that's a good enough reason for the manufacturers to adorn a 320 with the M badge, then its certainly a good enough reason for me..
colb

Z3 roadster 1.8 TU

Post by colb »

Quite right check for air leaks or a bad MAF, these will upset the lambda sensor.
If you need a new sensor stick with known make such as Bosch or Siemens same goes for replacement MAF.
Not worth gambling on the cheap parts on ebay, been there done that, lesson learnt.
I replaced my lambda sensors pre and post cat using Bosch sensors from Eorocarparts. Maf was from BMW stealer.
Colb
1999 BMW 1.8 Z3
2003 BMW 2.5 Z4
1998 Honda Deauville NT650V
peter2b

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by peter2b »

I had the same Robert T sorted it lambertta sensor on 1/2 showed a fault so did 3/4 and 5/6 all showin the same fault, reason small split in hose after the MAF sensor
peterz3