3.0 Standard suspension to Sport suspension Query

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
alec.m

Z3 roadster 2.8

3.0 Standard suspension to Sport suspension Query

Post by alec.m »

I have a non sport 3.0 and although it`s only done 66000 miles it feels like it would benefit from new shocks and springs. From what I`ve read sport suspension is slightly lowered which would improve the look and maybe they`re slightly stiffer but I`m not sure about that. I don`t want to go down the coil over route but can`t find anyone in the UK that stocks Sport struts. A google search brings up loads of results from USA. Is this a main dealer purchase? I don`t want to spend serious money.
Is it possible to use lowering springs with standard struts which have the same part number as a 2.8 and reasonably priced on ECP? I`m not looking for much of a drop, maybe 20mm. Any thoughts much appreciated.
stevov

Z3 roadster 2.0

Re: 3.0 Standard suspension to Sport suspension Query

Post by stevov »

Lowering springs are designed to be used with standard dampers. Just make sure you get a good quality spring . Eibach and the like.
alec.m

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by alec.m »

Thanks, that might be the way forward.
mrscalex

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by mrscalex »

Your 3.0 non-Sport should have Sport suspension according to this extract from the sales brochure.

If you put your VIN into bmwvin.com you are looking for this option to confirm.

S704 M Sports suspension

The Sachs (OEM) Sport part numbers are 115 691 & 115 692. The non-Sport equivalents are 115 689 & 115 690. This info comes courtesy of Bav Auto who I normally regard as reliable.

https://www.bavauto.com/steering-suspen ... -0-4517115

I think the range the Sport shocks belong to are Advantage as opposed to Super Touring for non-Sport.

The Sport v non-Sport thing is very confusing and many suppliers make a mess of distinguishing the two. Do your own checking to confirm the above is true. I've spent a lot of time checking previously and that's the conclusion I came to but I can't be 100% certain.
ImageImage
2001 Z3 2.2 Topaz Blue (Trudy) - Keeper rebuilt from a write-off
2002 Z3 2.2 Titan Silver (Cookies) - Keeper rebuilt having been bought with a seized engine
2002 Z3 3.0 Sapphire Black (Peanut) - Keeper awaiting rebuilding having been bought as an abandoned project
Plus Willy, Kodak & Maycee - All 2.2 Sport projects. Yes, 6 is a lot of Z3s :)
Always happy to try and help with spares :)
mrscalex

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by mrscalex »

This thread is a good one. It's a generic discussion on Sachs struts but bears out what I said in my previous post.

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=398977

I don't actually have Sport struts on my Sport. Which is why I looked into all this. But it looks like the key is finding the correct Sachs parameter/specification code from a known original strut, eg the SFE32/22X96A type number.
ImageImage
2002 Z3 2.2 Titan Silver (Cookies) - Keeper rebuilt having been bought with a seized engine
2002 Z3 3.0 Sapphire Black (Peanut) - Keeper awaiting rebuilding having been bought as an abandoned project
lightning

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by lightning »

I investigated this subject after a similar thread (including actually speaking to BMW after the forum debate became heated) and the sport suspension was definitely not standard on the 3.0
alec.m

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by alec.m »

This is a complicated issue. Thanks for your input Robert. I did a search on bmwvin and it appears I don`t have sports suspension which supports lightnings observation that it wasn`t standard on a 3.0.
I did a search on realoem based on a 2.8 for the strut and clicked on the bit that tells you what other models it fits on and 3.0 came up so it seems that this strut is common for all 6 cylinder models without sports suspension. realoem doesn`t list springs either, just says unavailable.
ECP don`t list anything for the 3.0 unless you look in their performance section where they list Bilstein Performance struts and rear shocks. No detail on spec though. They also list HandR performance springs, again no detail apart from the fact they lower by 30mm.
I`m going to look into the Sachs Advantage route with some quality lowering springs unless anyone has a solution that they`ve used and they`re pleased with. Maybe I`m overkilling this and standard Sachs touring with some quality lowering springs would be perfect. It`s not as if I`m doing track days.
mrscalex

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by mrscalex »

Yes I remember lightning and I coming up with conflicting information previously. Perhaps there were production changes and we're both right!

My 2.2 Sport has non-Sport front shocks fitted by the previous owner. It handles absolutely fine. In fact it's a very taught but comfortable car.

The springs data BMW keep to themselves. They want you to go in and give you springs rated to your specific options build (ie weight, air con, no air con etc). That seems over the top. So this is even more of a minefield than the shocks.

BMW part numbers for the shocks are easy to identify obviously. But 3rd party manufacturers and suppliers get very confused about what BMW part numbers their shocks replace. It would for instance be very easy to buy a non-Sport shock because the supplier listed the BMW Sport shock as being the part it replaces.

I'm going to look on my known original struts to see if I can find the Sachs 'parameter number' which uniquely identifies the strut as I suspect that's the way forward. But I would be seeking to clarify the assumption that I needed Sachs Advantage for Sport and Sachs Super Touring for non-Sport.

As regards what shocks a 3.0 non-Sport is I guess we need to find someone who has known original shocks on their car to be 100%.

Of course many people if they were changing their shocks/springs would go for an uprated package anyway. But I am obsessive about 'keeping it factory'.
ImageImage
alec.m

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by alec.m »

I think that by the time most people change their struts whether it`s at 65000 or 125000 miles a straight replacement is going to feel so much better purely because they`re new. A "performance" strut will feel better too but whether it`s better than new oem you`ll never know unless you tried both to compare and no one`s going to go to that trouble. I`m looking to change as I feel my originals have lost something especially when going into a left hander at speed. I would like to lower it a bit as I think it would improve the look. Zs seem to sit a bit high and ones I`ve seen that have been slightly lowered look a lot better. I don`t want anything that alters the camber excessively, I think that looks a bit chavy.
c_w

M roadster S50

Post by c_w »

I would take the SACHS Advantage over the touring all day. The touring will be quite soft and a standard car damper. The Advantage are by no means like an aftermarket harsh damper though but just have a bit more control.
alec.m

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by alec.m »

Thanks c_w. It's good to have feedback from someone who's used them. Just springs to decide on.
lightning

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by lightning »

I had a 2.8 and it was a great car, wish l'd never sold it. However my 3.0 is the M Sport version and is definitely a step up in handling, more like a sports car than the 2.8 which was more of a GT.

I sold an Elise S2 to buy the 3.0 and while no Elise it's actually better to drive in the real world, the Elise was fabulous (better than my Ferrari although with less soul, if you understand what l mean) but only if you were "on it"....rare outside of a track day.

The 2.8 felt more like my Porsche 928 S4. Another car l wish l'd been able to keep, but after spending £3,000 in the first 8 month l chickened out.

A previous owner had sunk over £10,000 into the thing in 18 months.
4wheels

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by 4wheels »

since im looking for the same thing to, i noticed the anti roll bars are stiffer on the sport too.
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/showpar ... Id=33_0364
mines also a non sport and rolls quite a bit in the corners.
alec.m

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by alec.m »

4wheels wrote:since im looking for the same thing to, i noticed the anti roll bars are stiffer on the sport too.
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/showpar ... Id=33_0364
mines also a non sport and rolls quite a bit in the corners.
That could make a difference if front and rear were replaced. I`m assuming they`d be thicker and stiffer. Have you made any decisions on which way you`re going yet 4wheels?
4wheels

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by 4wheels »

no not really!
like the idea of lower, and stiffer... not like the price to do it!
alec.m

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by alec.m »

New anti roll bars are serious money. Not sure where I'm going. Definitely going for new shocks all round and lowering springs but a lot more research to do.