Z3 central locking problems

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
Geoff Crispin

Z3 coupe 3.0i

Z3 central locking problems

Post by Geoff Crispin »

Thanks for your replies I have repaired two wires in loom of doom and now sometime all lock from either door or boot and sometime they don't. Yesterday went out parked up locked from drivers door and all worked, returned tro car put key in drivers door and nothing happened no noise nothing so then put key in boot operated lock but did not sound right then went back to drivers door and it unlocked with boot but passenger door still locked,
When I purchased car 18months ago it did not come with a remote but I have one now but needs to be recoded somehow ?
It seems that depends on how I lock or unlock it is ie from where and it is not always the same result.
Could it be a wire problem or the actuator ?
DanHolman

Z3 roadster 1.9

Re: Z3 central locking problems

Post by DanHolman »

doors out of sync - cant remember procedure- research on google.

Replace battery in key fob- research procedure
BladeRunner919

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by BladeRunner919 »

DanHolman wrote:doors out of sync
Pretty sure that's not a thing with these cars. Sounds like more problems in the loom is the likeliest culpret.
Fender2004

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Fender2004 »

I would agree with bladerunner919 there is probably another wire damaged somewhere. The problem is finding it.
Geoff Crispin

Z3 coupe 3.0i

Post by Geoff Crispin »

yes will have to have a closer look at wires in loom of doom.
did not have a remote when i purchased car have got one now but got to go through the proceedure to re code it
DC

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by DC »

The boot loom was the culprit with me and not all breaks in the same place, I would strip back the outer cover a bit further and see if any more breaks.
Dave.
Dave. 1998 Arctic Silver Z3 M44 1.9 Automatic
Geoff Crispin

Z3 coupe 3.0i

Post by Geoff Crispin »

Dave I hope that you are right as it does point to this with the change in operation each time Geoff
Geoff Crispin

Z3 coupe 3.0i

Post by Geoff Crispin »

Have now got my remote fob working but only the boot locks and unlocks, bothe the doors try to work as you can see movement in the push buttons. When key is used in drivers door sometime all locks work both locking and unlocking but not always.
I have tried to have a good look at the boot loom of doom and could find only the two that I had repaired.
Thinking now to remove door cards and lubricate all moving parts and see what happens.
At the start of trying to sort this problem out it was suggested that it could be the actuator in drivers door, or a sensor ?
Just oiled lock where key is inserted but so far no change. Any ideas ?