Engine hunting when reversing.

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
rambo
Sponsor 2018

Z3 roadster 2.0

Engine hunting when reversing.

Post by rambo »

I've noticed that when I back my 99 2.0/ Z3 into the garage the engine hunts in waves and unless I keep the revs up it stalls. Any ideas as to what causes this?
Regards
Rambo
pingu

M roadster S50

Re: Engine hunting when reversing.

Post by pingu »

Hunting is usually an air leak. Strange that it only happens when you are reversing.

It could be that you are driving so slowly. Does it happen when you try to crawl along at very low speed, especially uphill?
Pingu
John Wilson

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by John Wilson »

Yes, I think it's just that You are going at a slow speed when going into the garage rather than the fact that you are reversing. It used to happen to my Z3 (a 2litre 2000 so similar to yours) when coming back from a run and going forwards into the garage. It would over rev then drop right down and usually stall. I found it was the idle control valve that just needed cleaning out, in my case, and I now havent had any problems since doing the job a couple of years ago. But I agree with Pingu that it could also be an air leak in the inlet side. If you are doing the valve then you have to remove all the rubber boots from the inlet side anyway so youll be able to check the boots condition at the same time. Just make sure the boots all go back properly as some are a bit tricky to get to. You could also check the butterfly is moving freely and theres no crud around it, at the same time.
motco

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by motco »

My 2.2 Sport is a real pain to manoeuvre because of the fly-by-wire throttle. The tiny time lag between adjusting the pedal position and the engine's reaction causes a sort of feedback loop of revving and near stalling. My Westfield, with all its crudeness and harshness, is a delight to manoeuvre in comparison because it has a cable throttle and no damned clutch delay valve! (The CDV from my Z is in the bin)
rambo
Sponsor 2018

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by rambo »

Driving forwards at slow speed in a traffic queue does become uncomfortable sometimes and I have to lift the revs slightly to compensate but reversing does cause the car to hunt on a light throttle.
Or maybe it's me, as my other car is a Volvo XC90 Diesel auto and I'm getting lazy in my old age!
Thanks for the replies and I'll look into your suggestions.
Regards
Rambo