Fuel quantity scare!

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
lightning

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Fuel quantity scare!

Post by lightning »

So l went to Tatton Park Show yesterday and the Z3 attracted loads of interest/questions. It was parked in a line of much older Classics, on my Club stand.
l think it's because people see it as a car they'd actually own, rather than an old car that needs an enthusiast to maintain it.

Anyway, when l got there the fuel was showing 1/4 full, came to drive home and it said basically totally empty....red light on, gauge right at the bottom.
Of course there was a massive queue to get out and l was waiting for the engine to die. Although the trip conputer was still claiming a range of 118 miles.
Over a period of about 20 minutes the gauge crept up, eventually the warning light (on the gauge) went off, and the gauge once again showed 1/4 full. I know the fuel gauge is damped, but 20 minutes?
l wasn't parked on a slope, it was a flat area of grass.
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Re: Fuel quantity scare!

Post by Robert T »

You didn't come and say hello! I was on the AH stand all weekend. There was even some cake going spare! I only saw one Z3, which I know wasn't yours, but I didn't get round the whole show. Corky popped by today and said he'd been turned down as his car was too new, despite exhibiting it other years, so not sure what was going on there.

Fuel gauge sounds like the sender, which seems to be a fairly common problem. Plenty of info on here.

Cheers R.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
Arctic Silver '99 Z3 1.9 & Black '59 Frogeye 1275cc
lightning

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by lightning »

We were on the end row opposite where the military vehicles were and further down. The Alfa Romeo stand was next to us.
My Topaz Blue Z3 was on the front row of our small pitch under a large tree.

I did wander around the show a fair bit but did not see any other Z3's or l would have stopped for a chat! Must have missed them.

I was on an all makes car club stand (H&H CVC) and had no trouble with getting a pass. On the private exhibits they've made it pre 1990, unless it's something special, such as a Ferrari.

Were you there on the Sunday as well? I was only able to make the Saturday, and it was really nice weather until 4pm when a bit of rain and cloud appeared.
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robert T »

I was in the Sprite, so you'd not see me if you were looking for the zed.

It had another shower just before I left yesterday, so I drove home with the roof on and then had to wash the dust off ready for today. A couple of showers today including one big one whilst we were cooking the bacon and sausages for a late breakfast. Typical Tatton weather really. Warm in between and I caught the sun a bit yesterday.

The privateers section was full, so I can see why they might have had to restrict it.

If you go in August, watch out for me, as I am normally there, and most likely both days again as I help run our stand.

Cheers R.

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk
Arctic Silver '99 Z3 1.9 & Black '59 Frogeye 1275cc
peter2b

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by peter2b »

I would have gone there my self but it was my apprenticeship reunion on Sunday but I'm going to the august show, see you there
peterz3