Coolant flush reveals oil in water.

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
dazthephot

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Coolant flush reveals oil in water.

Post by dazthephot »

So I've suspected a dodgy head gasket only because it's been down on power for a while.
I did a coolant flush today and noticed a film of oil in the water. It's not in the expansion tank though ??? Strange.

I had the head gasket replaced about 8 years ago at bmw when I had an overheat issue.

Anyway I think I'm going to live with it.

There's some emulsion in the dip stick but not in the oil filler cap so I assume it's a minor seep into the water.

Is it inevitable that the head gasket will fail fully?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Del

Z3 roadster 1.9

Re: Coolant flush reveals oil in water.

Post by Del »

Sounds as if there is a slight HG leak around one of the waterways. You don't really want water to find its way to the piston crown. Whilst opinions differ, many people think it is best to get a head skimmed after HG failure due to overheating as modern alloy heads warp quick easily - I don't know what was done at your previous fix. You could try one of these "sealers" e.g. Steel Seal - I've not tried it myself but it is widely sold e.g. Euro Car Parts
Howard Adams

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Howard Adams »

Hi, if it's down on power & you have oil in the water & possible water in the oil a head/gasket sounds like a correct diagnosis.
The sooner it's done the better because if you leave it you could possibly (worst case sinario) end up with a bigger bill, i.e. the cylinder head being beyond repair.
If it was done 8 years ago and if it was done correctly it should not of failed again. Maybe the head wasn't skimmed?
I understand this maybe not what you want to here.
As for adding one if the many miracle cures that promise rectification, I personally wouldn't.
Just stop using it and get it repaired as and when the money tree has fruit on it.
Good luck with getting It repaired.
H
dazthephot

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by dazthephot »

It was actually done at a main dealer. Along with a new water pump, radiator, thermostat after a big overheat. I was told it didn't need a skim but clearly it did. I'll have to weigh up the cost of another HG and skim over a recon engine taking into account of the car's actual market value.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro