seat bushes advice/help please

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
burmagirl
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 3.0i

seat bushes advice/help please

Post by burmagirl »

Hello everyone

I was wondering if there were still any members in my area (Herts/Beds/Cambs) with experience of changing the seat bushes. I've bought seat bushes from aceman and I really need to get them on now as my seat, at least, is now rocking quite significantly.

I have the instructions but my OH, not very mechanically-minded, especially where cars are concerned, is very reluctant to attempt it especially as time is at a premium and he is afraid that, especially if something goes wrong, it will take ages. Is there anyone locally who could please come and advise - or even do it by phone - and knows the pitfalls that might ensue?

Those who know me will know that in the past I've done stuff such as put in roll hoops and heated sports seats but the last thing was about 10 years ago and my knees are too bad to crouch or kneel down and help (although I can still oversee!!) at present.

very many thanks in advance

Sue
alec.m

Z3 roadster 2.8

Re: seat bushes advice/help please

Post by alec.m »

Hi Sue, If you haven`t seen it there`s a very good write up in the knowledgebase.
viewtopic.php?f=18&t=30402
burmagirl
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by burmagirl »

Hello Alec

thanks for your reply - I did print out the thread and gave it to him- I think that's what put him off!

I asked my garage, too - they said they'd never done any seat bushes and didn't seem particularly enthusiastic. I was surprised as they do a lot of BMW work and I think the passenger seat on Alan's 530i has the same problem!

Sue
alec.m

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by alec.m »

Hi Sue,
I think the written description can be quite daunting but when you actually get started it makes sense. Lots of pics on your phone as you progress is always a good reference for when you put it back together. I`ve had Zs for 5 years now and touch wood I`ve not had too much to do apart from routine servicing.
Good luck
Alec
burmagirl
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by burmagirl »

Hello Alec

I'm sure you're right! Once I made sense of the photo showing the old bushes it did make sense. One of the reasons (apart from price, if it takes them time because it's all new to them) I didn't want to use the garage is that when I put my sports seats in they were from a 1998 M and my current Z is a 2001 and it seemed difficult to get hold of suitable connectors so I soldered and joined the harnesses. It mans that without taking the wiring apart and then rewiring, which I would rather not do, the seats can only come just out of the car so it's a bit restrictive although I think I did do all the soldering with the seats upside down just outside the car. It's over 10 years ago so I can't really remember; I hope there's room to turn them over and get to the bushes.

regards

Sue
burmagirl
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by burmagirl »

I should have said, unfortunately I didn't take step by step photos when I did it. And connectors would have been a far easier option...
NZ00Z3

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by NZ00Z3 »

The seat bushings can be replaced without disconnecting the wiring. Just carefully twist the seat forward and lay it with the back across the hand brake. The wiring is just long enough. Have done this on Z3's with standard and sport seats.
burmagirl
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by burmagirl »

Great, thanks for that - I wonder if that's how I did the wiring as I can't think how I could have reached with the seat out of the car. I've been trying to visualise myself doing it but I just can't!

I did leave as much wire on both looms as I could, in case anything had to be changed. The wiring has remained secure so far with the only problem being the inevitable one with the air bags, which happens occasionally even though I have those yellow connectors secured with cable ties.

I'll get my OH to take another look at the instructions with that in mind. Did you have any problems at all?

regards

Sue
Geoff Crispin

Z3 coupe 3.0i

Post by Geoff Crispin »

Hi Sue
Did you succeed in fitting new bushes ?
With the help of a friend did mine the other week and followed Acemans instructions stage at a time and it was straight forward, The instructions are very clear. Geoff
burmagirl
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by burmagirl »

Hello Geoff

thanks for the message - not had a chance to do it yet unfortunately. I really need to do it soon as it's quite bad now, but we work weekends as well so finding some time is quite difficult. Can I ask how long it too, please?

regards

Sue
Fender2004

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Fender2004 »

Have a look on YouTube as there is a step by step guide in three videos.
Don’t forget not to put the ignition on while the seat is out of the car otherwise the seatbelt light will need resetting.
Tilly

M roadster S50

Post by Tilly »

burmagirl wrote: Mon 23 Oct, 2017 10:21 Hello Geoff

thanks for the message - not had a chance to do it yet unfortunately. I really need to do it soon as it's quite bad now, but we work weekends as well so finding some time is quite difficult. Can I ask how long it too, please?

regards

Sue
Hi Sue,

I did both our Z's and it takes just over 1 hour per car. I followed the instructions found in the knowledge base. The areas to closely follow are make sure you measure the position of the threaded bar still attached in each of the runners and before you remove the bar by undoing the torx screws. Also make sure you measure the position of the block containing the bushes on the threaded bar. If they are not aligned correctly the seat will stick on reassembly. When you sand the replacement bushes make sure they are even as possible and a tight fit in the middle of the cage. To put the bars back into the runners is a bit of a fiddle but once the job is done you will really notice the difference.
Good luck and enjoy.
Geoff Crispin

Z3 coupe 3.0i

Post by Geoff Crispin »

Hi Sue
We did a lot of talking as various people kept dropping into the unit but about 1 hour per seat but as has just been posted follow the instructions to the letter. We found that two pairs of hands at times were needed, Tilly has given very good advice which I will not repeat other than saying keep your keys in your pocket and only use as instructed otherwise you will have big problems. Very important to sand new bushes equally both sides a bit at a time, and count threat turns for replacement Regards Geoff
burmagirl
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by burmagirl »

Hello Tilly and Geoff

it's very late to post thanks for your posts but unfortunately I didn't see a notification for them, I'm so sorry but thank you for replying. I still haven't got the bushes done but am hoping to get it done before the winter!

Sue
Tilly

M roadster S50

Post by Tilly »

No probs,

Good luck with the job. Feel free to ask if you have any issues
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

Simplest to the point video instruction for doing the job........ They just left out the "FIRST DISCONNECT THE BATTERY" at the start of the video which you must do before disconnecting any of the under seat wiring. :D

LINK:- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n6PsUywdt74
"Normal is overrated"

Z3 Upgrades and Additions
burmagirl
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by burmagirl »

well I'm pleased to say that I finally for the seat bushes done by my younger son. It was fairly straighforward, he had a bit of an issue lining up the driver's seat as oddly, the runners were different designs. What a relief not to have that rocking very time I braked! So thanks to everyone who helped and whoever posted the original instructions for doing it.

Sue
Tilly

M roadster S50

Post by Tilly »

burmagirl wrote: Sun 29 Jul, 2018 14:17 well I'm pleased to say that I finally for the seat bushes done by my younger son. It was fairly straighforward, he had a bit of an issue lining up the driver's seat as oddly, the runners were different designs. What a relief not to have that rocking very time I braked! So thanks to everyone who helped and whoever posted the original instructions for doing it.

Sue
That's great news. When done properly it doesn't half make a difference.