long way arround screen washer pipe

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
peter2b

Z3 roadster 2.2i

long way arround screen washer pipe

Post by peter2b »

the screen wash stopped working the other day so I had a look under the bonnet pump was making it nomal noise so I thought I would see if the pipe was blocked, from the washer tank (near side by the wind screen)the pipe goes across the back to the off side through a pannel by the fuse box down under the fuse box up again to the front of the fuse box through the pannel again arround the offside of the fuse box then up to the bonnet to the jets, I pulled off each junction to see if the pipe was blocked from the jets to the first junction by the fuse box -just a dribble ,new pump on order.any one no why the pipe goes all the way arround the car rather than just straight up from the tank to the bonnet -jets
peterz3
Howard Adams

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Re: long way arround screen washer pipe

Post by Howard Adams »

I had the same problem with my washers not working, if you remove both pumps (if headlamp washers fitted) then take the pump grommets out, these incorporate a filter which blocks up & is often overlooked.
Hope this helps.
AdyDurn

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by AdyDurn »

Have always wondered why the washer fluid does a lap of the engine bay before getting near the screen.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

mrscalex

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by mrscalex »

Remember that on some Z3s the washer bottle is front left of the engine bay not rear right. It's possible BMW wanted to keep a single entrance point up onto the bonnet.
ImageImage
2001 Z3 2.2 Topaz Blue (Trudy) - Keeper rebuilt from a write-off
2002 Z3 2.2 Titan Silver (Cookies) - Keeper rebuilt having been bought with a seized engine
2002 Z3 3.0 Sapphire Black (Peanut) - Keeper awaiting rebuilding having been bought as an abandoned project
Plus Willy, Kodak & Maycee - All 2.2 Sport projects. Yes, 6 is a lot of Z3s :)
Always happy to try and help with spares :)
Buz007

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Buz007 »

AdyDurn wrote: Sat 09 Sep, 2017 20:06 Have always wondered why the washer fluid does a lap of the engine bay before getting near the screen.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk
prevents freezing in cold temperatures. The engine warms the pipes
''need I remind you 007, you have a licence to kill...not to break the traffic laws''
peter2b

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by peter2b »

good tip Howard fitted a new pump but the mesh screen under the pump had a load of green gunk over it, sorted
peterz3