MOT failure help!

Post by daveofedinburgh »

Hi guys,

MOT time today, failed on 3 points;

-Brake hose excessively deteriorated offside front

-Suspension arm has excessive play in a ball joint offside front lower

-Coil spring broken nearside rear

Its a 2000 2.0 manual.

Can you guys pleeeeaaase point me in the direction of the most affodable parts and guesstimate a labour cost (2-2.5 hours maybe)?

Any help you guys can provide would be greatly appreciated!
2000, 2.0 manual, topasblau, blue leather. Now for sale: viewtopic.php?f=11&t=40699

mrscalex

Z3 roadster 1.9

Re: MOT failure help!

Post by mrscalex »

It depends if you want to patch it up by replacing bust side only or do it more future proofed/safely by replacing in pairs.
ImageImage
2001 Z3 2.2 Topaz Blue (Trudy) - Keeper rebuilt from a write-off
2002 Z3 2.2 Titan Silver (Cookies) - Keeper rebuilt having been bought with a seized engine
2002 Z3 3.0 Sapphire Black (Peanut) - Keeper awaiting rebuilding having been bought as an abandoned project
Plus Willy, Kodak & Maycee - All 2.2 Sport projects. Yes, 6 is a lot of Z3s :)
Always happy to try and help with spares :)
daveofedinburgh

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by daveofedinburgh »

Hi mrscalex,

It had the other side done less than a year ago (which I guess just proves you should do both at the same time!).

So yeah, I just need it through its MOT at the moment...
2000, 2.0 manual, topasblau, blue leather. Now for sale: viewtopic.php?f=11&t=40699

Juvvajuvva

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Juvvajuvva »

Rubber brake hose or the metal pipe corroded?
There is a fair man hours difference in the labour.
The suspension arm is 2 hours ish,the pipe if it
Is the rubber/flexi is pretty easy but bleeding the brakes is a bit of time.
Meyle are a good quality replacement for the arm and ball joint.
Can I suggest you do all the joints and the track rod end?
If any of them snap or pull from the mount in the arm,
You can loose control of the vehicle and have an accident.
I have seen it happen.
Good luck. Be safe.
Parts should be £100 ish
Gazza

M roadster S54

Post by Gazza »

Parts can be obtained from suppliers such as Euro Car Parts or German Swedish French GSF for short.

Most places that offer Garage Services would be able to carryout the work, the MoT station could suggest somewhere or even do the work themselves.

If you choose a garage to do the work, let them order the parts, just in case you are supplied with the wrong parts if you buy them personally.
Gazza

"Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car. Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall and torque is how far you take the wall with you"

Z3 S54 M roadster Image, BMW Z1, BMW M3 CSL, Z4M Coupe
ImageImage
mrscalex

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by mrscalex »

I really would suggest getting the same make as you did the other side with for your own safety and control of the vehicle.

Where doing in pairs Meyle for the suspension arm. I wouldn't have them piddle around just changing the ball joint within the arm. Plenty of good deals for those on eBay. They are not dear at all for the quality. If you really want to save some pennies I have bought the unbranded ones from seller johnyboy-1 before. You may also want to do the drop links. Meyle are £20 pair.

Rubber brake pipe ECP/GSF should be fine.

Springs. I tend to fit low mileage original BMW second hand. Rather than buy crap or the wrong part. Many on the forums would fit performance brands and you'd probably find advice for those easier to come by.
ImageImage
2001 Z3 2.2 Topaz Blue (Trudy) - Keeper rebuilt from a write-off
2002 Z3 2.2 Titan Silver (Cookies) - Keeper rebuilt having been bought with a seized engine
2002 Z3 3.0 Sapphire Black (Peanut) - Keeper awaiting rebuilding having been bought as an abandoned project
Plus Willy, Kodak & Maycee - All 2.2 Sport projects. Yes, 6 is a lot of Z3s :)
Always happy to try and help with spares :)
stevov

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by stevov »

Springs should be replaced as a pair. A used spring for z3 is now 14-20 years old. Don't mess around with the ball joint replace the lower arm, it's a 15 min job. Brake hose biggest fear is the compression nut seized but a bit of heat should free it. Failing that cut the fitting off and reflare the pipe with a new fitting. Euro car parts prices are posted on the website so parts cost no secret. Parts at euro 2 springs, lower arm, brake hose total with promo code less than 160 quid allow 3 hours labour 100.00quid so about 260 quid. No a big thing.
peter2b

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by peter2b »

I replace the front lower arms and track rods off ebay meyle £165 took me about 2 hrs to replace the parts don't know about the rear spring though
peterz3