1st generation or larger rear?

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
swabyk

Z3 roadster 1.9

1st generation or larger rear?

Post by swabyk »

Trawling through the Z3s for sale it seems most sellers put large stock in the fact their car is the 2nd gen body with the larger rear arches, updated rear lights etc...

Im not 100% sure which I prefer, the later cars are more 'squat' and mean looking but I also think the earlier cars had a purity of lines more than the updated shape. What also tends to happen as cars become classics over time is that its the first generation and early cars that are more desired.

What are peoples general feelings on the two designs, preference for the former or latter?

Apart from shape, is there much difference in performance, handling etc etc or is it just aesthetics?

Be good to see what peoples actual preferences are?
Z3crazy

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Re: 1st generation or larger rear?

Post by Z3crazy »

Firstly, "Beauty is in the eye of the beholder". Some go for first gen, some for second. Nothing wrong there.
As far as the technical side is concerned, pretty much the same as above. A Well looked after 1st gen can be every bit as good as the last car that came off the line in 2002.

Just try and test drive both generations a choose the car and engine that feel best for you. The rest is the same for any car between 15 and 21 years old, check, check, double check.

Dave
If it ain't broke, don't fix it
Z3 1.9 2000, Cosmos Schwartz
colb

Z3 roadster 1.8 TU

Re: 1st generation or larger rear?

Post by colb »

Personally I like the wide body, just looks right to me.
Colb
1999 BMW 1.8 Z3
2003 BMW 2.5 Z4
1998 Honda Deauville NT650V