Foxed by Electrical issue?

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
magicw

blank

Foxed by Electrical issue?

Post by magicw »

Returned to my Z3 (1999 1.9 model ) today to find a total loss of battery power.

Jump started the car off my other vehicle. Only issue whilst jump starting was the Alarm/Immoboliser activated ( Four ways flashing alarm sounding e.t.c ) , Managed to over ride this by locking and unlocking the drivers door with the key ( Couldn't defeat it with just the Fob).

I then took the car for a decent run. The battery seemed to have held charge! All good.

However when I locked the car using the fob the rear hi level brake light and side brake lights remained illuminated and would only go out when I unlocked the car using the fob.

I got round this by locking the car on the Fob and then unlocking the boot on the key/ but somehow still managed to keep the doors locked.

I ve had a wiggle around with the wiring and now the car will lock on the fob without the Brake lights being permanently lit, However the Hi Level Brake light will now not function/ Light on Braking.

I ve either got a bad connection somewhere to the Hi level Brake light or a faulty module. ( This is probably what drained the battery in the first place )

If it was the module though! Would not the side brake lights be failing too? Do I just need to check the wiring on the Hi Level brake light for faults?
colb

Z3 roadster 1.8 TU

Re: Foxed by Electrical issue?

Post by colb »

Sounds like a classic case of shorting wires or broken wires in the body to boot lid loom. Going to need stripping back the outer cover to check individual wires in that loom for breaks. Solder any breaks and heatshrink them.
Colb
1999 BMW 1.8 Z3
2003 BMW 2.5 Z4
1998 Honda Deauville NT650V
magicw

blank

Re: Foxed by Electrical issue?

Post by magicw »

Thought as much. Hopefulyl its just in the run between the Big Rubber Grommet by the boot lid arm and the Led strip itself. There seems to be a T junction just after it feeds into the boot lid skin inner. The connector also looks a swine to disconnect from the Led light stip cluster ( I know its not Led I Just don't know how best to describe it )

Thanks for the help. I ll strip it back and check it next time I ve got some daylight.