Replacement Clutch

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
Mike

Z3 roadster 2.8

Replacement Clutch

Post by Mike »

Hi everyone, I am needing to replace my Z3 2.8 clutch that has finally given up the host. I live in southen Brittany, France. Anyone here close by that can do the job or reccomend a good BMW mechanic that is reliable. I am close to Redon and the car will not move. Engine runs OK but cannot engage any gears at all. Hopefully someone can help as nearest Dealer is in Vannes.
colb

Z3 roadster 1.8 TU

Re: Replacement Clutch

Post by colb »

Is it the clutch plate or is it the slave cylinder at fault?
Big difference in repair price by a garage, if its the slave cylinder then that would be an easyish swap for a new one and a bit of a bother to bleed it by all accounts. Obviously if it needs a new clutch plate and cover + release bearing then its a drop the gearbox job and more expensive. Any independent garage should be able to do either job, not just a BMW dealer. You must have an independent near to you, any locals recommend any?
Just thought it odd that you can't select any gears, that's why I ask about the slave cylinder condition.
Colb
1999 BMW 1.8 Z3
2003 BMW 2.5 Z4
1998 Honda Deauville NT650V
Mike

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Mike »

Engine runs ok and i can move the gear lever into gears but no drive at the wheels at all. Plate and bearing obviously rather than cylinder so a bit pricy. Clutch kit 150 euros and 250 for 5 hours to install. so 4àà in all. This is a good indi near me and he will come and pick up the car for free. Car had been showing signs of slipping clutch for a few weeks and has done 200K miles on this clutch so I expect it to be knacked.
therealdb1

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by therealdb1 »

Moral of the story is when the clutch starts to slip fix it!
Don't wait to become immobile :D
400 euros sounds ok. I would not want to do the job for that money.
Hopefully he will find that the flywheel is in good condition when he gets the gearbox out and costs will not escalate.