Solar trickle charger

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
SHRS2000

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Solar trickle charger

Post by SHRS2000 »

The Z3 is off the road for the Winter.

I've got a solar trickle charger & just wondered how to attach it to the Z3. I use it on other cars by attaching directly to the battery but on the Z3 I noticed it has charging/jump points in the engine bay. Will the battery charge if I connect to these? Also, would it work via the cigarette lighter? I looked at connecting to the Z3 battery but, obviously, the boot light stays on so unless I take the bulb out doesn't seem an option.

Any help & or ideas much appreciated.
colb

Z3 roadster 1.8 TU

Re: Solar trickle charger

Post by colb »

Charger best connection would be direct to battery terminals in the boot although you could use the jump start the terminals in the engine compartment, the loss of current between the jump start terminals and the battery would be minimal given the length of wiring between the two. Don't forget there is a bonnet switch for the alarm to consider when using the jump start terminals so you may have to leave the bonnet unlatched to allow the charger cable to feed into the engine compartment which will activate the alarm switch. If you use the under bonnet terminals best not to lock the car so the alarm is not activated.
I think the cigarette lighter is live all the time (ignition off) so you could plug the charger into the lighter socket to give the battery a charge however you still have the problem of running the charger mains cable into the car, best would be over the top of a slightly lowered drivers window.
If you connect direct to the battery just remove the boot light bulb to stop it draining the battery.

My car is off the road for the winter, try and start it weekly and run it up to temperature, always plug in a volt meter in the Cig socket to monitor the voltage before and after starting just to check what the alternator is putting out. If its less than 12v before starting I would put it on trickle charge when I finished running it, I have automatic battery conditioners so once plugged in its safe to leave it connected till next time I check the car.

Not a fan of Solar chargers, their output is very variable.
Colb
1999 BMW 1.8 Z3
2003 BMW 2.5 Z4
1998 Honda Deauville NT650V
SHRS2000

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by SHRS2000 »

colb wrote: Thu 28 Dec, 2017 12:12 Charger best connection would be direct to battery terminals in the boot although you could use the jump start the terminals in the engine compartment, the loss of current between the jump start terminals and the battery would be minimal given the length of wiring between the two. Don't forget there is a bonnet switch for the alarm to consider when using the jump start terminals so you may have to leave the bonnet unlatched to allow the charger cable to feed into the engine compartment which will activate the alarm switch. If you use the under bonnet terminals best not to lock the car so the alarm is not activated.
I think the cigarette lighter is live all the time (ignition off) so you could plug the charger into the lighter socket to give the battery a charge however you still have the problem of running the charger mains cable into the car, best would be over the top of a slightly lowered drivers window.
If you connect direct to the battery just remove the boot light bulb to stop it draining the battery.

My car is off the road for the winter, try and start it weekly and run it up to temperature, always plug in a volt meter in the Cig socket to monitor the voltage before and after starting just to check what the alternator is putting out. If its less than 12v before starting I would put it on trickle charge when I finished running it, I have automatic battery conditioners so once plugged in its safe to leave it connected till next time I check the car.

Not a fan of Solar chargers, their output is very variable.
Many thanks for the reply. Unfortunately there is no power where I store the car so it has to be solar otherwise I'd have a CTEK charger. I normally start the car once or twice a month & run up to temperature as you suggest. I'll try it via the lighter socket & good tip with the voltmeter. just ordered one from eBay. :thumb:
colb

Z3 roadster 1.8 TU

Post by colb »

Forgot to mention a 12v Wind generator, when the brother in law got rid of his boat I rigged it up outside the garage and fed it to the car. Worked quite well, always seemed to have enough wind to spin it up and produce a charge for the battery.
Bit of an outlay but better than a solar charger as long as you get wind where you are.
Colb
1999 BMW 1.8 Z3
2003 BMW 2.5 Z4
1998 Honda Deauville NT650V
SHRS2000

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by SHRS2000 »

colb wrote: Thu 28 Dec, 2017 14:45 Forgot to mention a 12v Wind generator, when the brother in law got rid of his boat I rigged it up outside the garage and fed it to the car. Worked quite well, always seemed to have enough wind to spin it up and produce a charge for the battery.
Bit of an outlay but better than a solar charger as long as you get wind where you are.
Cheers! I'll have a look at that. Quite high up so nearly always some wind.
nang

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by nang »

I plug mine direct to the battery and shut the boot. I figure with the thin wires and the rubber boot seals, it won't do any harm. It hasn't so far. It's an electric charger though. :)
Tony.
mickdev

Z3 roadster 1.8 TU

Post by mickdev »

I have a solar charger, I lengthened the wires by soldering extra onto the original leads, connected it through the battery terminals in the boot, there is enough gap between boot and body not to trap the cables
100GRA
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by 100GRA »

I have my car hooked up to a battery conditioner all winter, connected via the battery contacts under the bonnet from a lead which drops down from the garage ceiling. If you feed the cable through into the engine bay at the front of the wheel arch, there is ample room to close the bonnet and leave the car locked as normal.
henrycrun

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by henrycrun »

Just pop it in the cigarette lighter socket
mid life z
Sponsor 2018

Z3 roadster 1.8 TU

Post by mid life z »

Hi I use a solar charger in winter for my work car, it's a diesel so need to keep the battery topped up. I plug it into the cig lighter and does ok. On my Z I have pot a on / off switch in the boot to isolate the boot light when the boot is open for long periods. It fits in the space one of the trim clips was originally and bridges the live to the lamp.
If you need any more info let me know.
Cheers.
Benw123

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Benw123 »

I use a solar charger both during winter and when the car is parked for a few days in the warmer months.

In winter, with the car on SORN, I remove the battery and connect the charger directly to the terminals, leaving the panel in the window to face the sun as much as possible. When connected to the car in spring/summer/autumn on the driveway, I connect to the battery terminals in the boot and run the cable out of the top corner of the boot, alongside the bottom of the roof and inside the drivers door to the solar panel, which sits on the dashboard, angled to the sun. It doesn't let water in either.

My solar panel is about 50cm long and while output is generally good, it can't really charge a battery - it can just about maintain its charge level. But that's fine for me and I've not had a flat battery before.
99/T Z3 1.9 twin-cam, Boston Green, black leather
Paulro

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Paulro »

I’ve recently bought a z4 coupe and rented a parking place in ground floor under flat parking.
There’s no power but I’ve bought a 20w solar panel, a charge controller and fixed it outside and it is working brilliantly.
It’s a smaller version of the one I use on my VW California.
knighthawk

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by knighthawk »

Paulro wrote: Thu 08 Feb, 2018 18:35 I’ve recently bought a z4 coupe and rented a parking place in ground floor under flat parking.
There’s no power but I’ve bought a 20w solar panel, a charge controller and fixed it outside and it is working brilliantly.
It’s a smaller version of the one I use on my VW California.
Could you let me know the make and model also where you purchased it please as this sounds like what I need.
:)
Paulro

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Paulro »

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-12volt-En ... 2749.l2649

I bought the panel, controller, wire from this seller. All very good.
I bought some aluminium angle and mounted it at 60* on that. It’s working great. It was really interesting, I’m a teacher but not maths and I asked the top maths set to work out the lengths of aluminium given I had the width measurement of the solar panel.
Eventually and with the aid of a calculator they got it.

Good luck.

Paul