Next on the list - leaking boot.

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
dazthephot

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Next on the list - leaking boot.

Post by dazthephot »

So I’ve been thinking all along that this is just condensation from there being water in the boot wells. Now I’m thinking it’s the prime cause. What do you think?
ImageImageImageImage

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
BladeRunner919

Z3 roadster 1.9

Re: Next on the list - leaking boot.

Post by BladeRunner919 »

The condensation is almost certainly just a side effect of moisture in the boot. Have a good dig around under the carpet for water, particularly where there is a 'well' either side behind the wheelarch.
dazthephot

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by dazthephot »

Yeh I thought so too. Back to the drawing board. I’m gunna have to take out the whole carpet.

Boosh

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by Boosh »

I also had condensation I couldn't get rid of, and suspected a bad seal at the bottom of the hood. I therefore took the "parcel shelf" carpet off, to find... nothing. Absolutely dry, and no sign of previous leakage. Once I got rid of the condensation (leaving the boot open in the garage for a few days), it never came back. I reckon it was due to an overly important downpour while the car was parked nose slightly up, which prevented the water from making its way to the little drain behind the b-pillar, and overflowed into the boot.
Hope that helps, though it seems that you'll need to have a butcher's to be sure. Mind you, the third brakelight seal, on the bootlid is notorious for failing and letting water through...
Keep us posted,

Boosh.
dazthephot

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by dazthephot »

I haven’t seen that drain yet so I will check that for definite. Thanks.
I’ll be sure to report progress as I’m sure I’m not alone on this issue.

I nipped up the nuts on the third brake light but I saw little score marks which looked like someone had been fiddling before. Maybe a new seal wouldn’t go amiss anyway.

mrscalex

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by mrscalex »

I have exactly the same issue on a project car. But I’m not going to get to it for some weeks.

I know all the places it can leak from so I’ll check through and report back in due course.

The nastiest one is the roof. Not a difficult job but you need to do your research first and find 6-8 hours for it.
ImageImage
2001 Z3 2.2 Topaz Blue (Trudy) - Keeper rebuilt from a write-off
2002 Z3 2.2 Titan Silver (Cookies) - Keeper rebuilt having been bought with a seized engine
2002 Z3 3.0 Sapphire Black (Peanut) - Keeper awaiting rebuilding having been bought as an abandoned project
Plus Willy, Kodak & Maycee - All 2.2 Sport projects. Yes, 6 is a lot of Z3s :)
Always happy to try and help with spares :)
dazthephot

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by dazthephot »

Oh blimey, fingers crossed it’s not that eh!!
Be great to see how you get on.