Fitting Z3 rear tonneau cover.

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
nang

Z3 roadster 2.8

Fitting Z3 rear tonneau cover.

Post by nang »

I know this will be on here somewhere. Just got a rear cover that fits over the hood when it's down. Not sure how to fit it. Looks like the 2 ball fittings on the front are easy but not sure how the clips around the the trunk lid are fitted.
Dummy I know but thought it better to ask than make a mess of it. :dunce:
Tony.
colb

Z3 roadster 1.8 TU

Re: Fitting Z3 rear tonneau cover.

Post by colb »

Colb
1999 BMW 1.8 Z3
2003 BMW 2.5 Z4
1998 Honda Deauville NT650V
therealdb1

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by therealdb1 »

I got one of those covers for my Z3 when I cherished it.
To be honest it was such a PIA to keep taking on and off and I was always worried that it would fly off at speed (to be fair it never did!) that I hardly ever used it.
Both car and cover long gone now though :bawl:
nang

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by nang »

Thank you people for your help. I actually found the answer when I lifted the hood and had a good look. There are 4 ball fittings already fitted to the car......cunning Germans :lol:
I have a vinyl , original equipment, cover which has the female fittings already in place. Getting the ones behind the fuel took a bit of doing, I need smaller hands :shock: Otherwise all good.
Tony.
deni2s

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by deni2s »

Don't waste your time on all fittings. 2 at the front are enough. Never fitted the others for last 10 years and never experienced issues even at speeds over 200 km/h.
Bonzo

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Bonzo »

Yes , I never bother with the 2 rear fixings either! It's never budged an inch!

Bonzo
Z3lda (Zelda), 1998 2.8, Montreal Blue, Beige Oregon leather interior and M steering wheel, Sports Seats, Wood trim, Chrome Line Interior, Centre armrest with Cupholder, Alpina Softline wheels, Chromed Angel Eyes, De- tango'd, Rear stone guards, Sport aerial, ASC front strut brace, Strong Strut Butt Strut and Body Brace, Uprated brake fluid, Yellowstuff pads 78k.
Geoff Crispin

Z3 coupe 3.0i

Post by Geoff Crispin »

Agree with the others you only need the front two, but if you really want to use the back ones you must fit them first then the front ones but its a lot of mucking about. Geoff
nang

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by nang »

Thank you for your advice. Managed to get the back ones fastened finally after a few German swear words. Think I'll try it your way in future. It does fit well though. :idea:
Tony.
Warrior

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Warrior »

Had my Zed for 6 years now and didn't even know there were back fittings lol! :dunce:
Z3crazy

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by Z3crazy »

The rear fittings are just "Deutsche grundlichkeit". If the cover is fixed to the front fixing and pushen under the ruim at the rear it ain't going anywhere ( unless you drive into a tornado )

Dave
If it ain't broke, don't fix it
Z3 1.9 2000, Cosmos Schwartz
peter2b

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by peter2b »

the only time I've use mine is when I go to france bit of a flaf over here as the weather can change quickly as we have found out when on holiday
peter z3