Tyres!

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
Zedbedee

Z3 roadster 2.0

Tyres!

Post by Zedbedee »

I have the staggered 17" wheels on my 2.0 Z3 and I'm considering getting a set of Avon ZV7 tyres. Has anyone used them? While walking around town this morning I kept looking at the tyres on all the parked cars and it seemed that of all the cars old enough to have replacement tyres about 75% had what I call 'budget' tyres. There is a wide price difference between budget and premium tyres, are we paying for the name in some cases?
BladeRunner919

Z3 roadster 1.9

Re: Tyres!

Post by BladeRunner919 »

I've been using Nexen tyres for some years now - not on the Zed, as it hasn't needed tyres yet, but I'd happily fit them.

It's a very difficult question to give an firm answer to, but for road use on decent (not worn-out, 20-year-old) suspension, I can't imaging you'll notice any difference. I'd go by the ratings for noise, economy, wet grip etc and make a choice based on that.
Zedbedee

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by Zedbedee »

I don't do many miles in my Z3 and I put a set of Runway Enduro 916 tyres on it 8 years ago! To be honest I can't fault them but they are now ready for replacement. I bought a new Peugeot 308 in 2011 and it came with Michelins, these had plenty of tread but were perished and cracked by 20,000 miles and the first MOT. Replaced with Goodyears which also perished and cracked. Now have Dunlops but the cheapo Runways have soldiered on. I don't drive like a boy racer and have had no issues with the Runways but I thought the Avons would be sort of upper mid-range.
DC

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by DC »

I have Avon ZV 5 on mine (no longer available) and quite happy with them. I don't use the Z in winter so I only know about summer use. It's my second set and I also used them on my Morgan.
I've never worn them out but change them every six years or so.
Dave.
Dave. 1998 Arctic Silver Z3 M44 1.9 Automatic
Zedbedee

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by Zedbedee »

Thanks DC, that's the sort of endorsement I was looking for. I have a Black Circles fitting garage about 1/4 mile away so will order in the morning. Looking around I don't think there can be many really bad tyres about now with the EU regulations. As an aside I once bought a car with some 'Woosnen Dark Horse' tyres which would probably have done 100,000 miles if you survived that long. They had no grip at all if the road was even slightly damp.
therealdb1

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by therealdb1 »

I have ZV5's on my daily driver and I would say they are the best tyres I've had all things considered like grip, noise, price, wear and I have tried most of the "premium" brands.
The previous set drove from Lowestoft to Lancaster and back a couple of years ago with 10" of snow in places and they were fine.
Pity Avon do not make them any more. Let's hope that the ZV7's are as good if not an improvement as I will need a new set later this year come MOT time.
vzh7gk
Sponsor 2018

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by vzh7gk »

I was looking at ZV7 a couple of years ago for a different car I owned at the time. They didn't seem to get as good a write up as ZV5 but as a newer generation I would expect them to be an improvement on the ZV5.
I'm planning to fit ZV7 to the Z3 when the current "cheapo" tyres fitted prior to my ownership are ready for change (assuming I still have the car).
When I bought the '93 Morgan 4-1/2 years ago it had original factory fit tyres on :shock: complete with cracks in sidewalls. I didn't really want to test drive it. Before collection I had Vredestein T-Trac fitted (I think these have now been superceded).
Graham (G4FUJ)
Prescott marshal and Hill Controller
Found another Z3 so back here after a long break :) 1999 1.9, Palmetto Green
1 Morgan 4/4 (selling in Spring) and a Land Rover 90 (keeping forever)